Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Ubuntu/Linux connecting to Open Directory on Apple ML Server (Ubuntu/Linux connecting to Open Directory on Apple ML Server)
  •  
JohnS

Send a private message to this user
Has anyone been successful connecting Kerio Connect/Workspace running under Ubuntu/Linux over to Open Directory on a Mountain Lion server?

The setup is a MacMini server running Mountain Lion with VMWare running Kerio Workspace under Ubuntu/Linux. The virtual machine is in bridged networking mode and host lookups in the Ubuntu/Linux environment resolve properly to the Mac Server but for the life of me, I can't get it working.

Have read every forum and followed all the steps by installing kerbero's in the Linux environment but zippo. The issue is I can never get the kerberos environment on Linux to connect to the OD on the Mac server. OD is working fine as my Mac clients see it by issuing the same &kinit& command in terminal. Major PITA.
  •  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

Hi,

Kerio Workspace doesn't use Kerberos authentication. Only working LDAP in OD is needed.
Do you get an error message when you click on "Test connection" in the directory service settings in Kerio Workspace ? Also look at the debug/error log, please.

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
JohnS

Thanks for replying so quickly.

So the Kerio KB article 308 is not relevant?
how-do-i-join-kerio-connect-running-on-linux-to-open-directo ry-or-active-directory (Sorry won't let me post the actual link).

I either username/password incorrect (with SSL turned off) or some error that ends with %1 and %2.

I just want Workspace to join the OD on the Mac Server so I can pick users from there.

•  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

Hi,

the article you mentioned is relevant for Kerio Connect.
Kerio Workspace has separate article on http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-workspace/server-configura tion-kerio-workspace/connecting-kerio-workspace-to-directory -service-991.html

Please check your settings according that. If the issue occurs, please attach your debug log.

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
JohnS

Ok, so I am back on this.

I decided to completely reinstall Ubuntu and Workspace.

After doing the initial setup, I went into the directory section to try setting up the LDAP connection to my Mac Server which is the actual host OS for the Virtual Machine running Ubuntu and Workspace.

I am still getting the same identical errors as before when testing the connection. If SSL is checked, when testing the connection, I get the error, "Test of connection to %1 failed: %2". If SSL is not checked and I test the connection, I get the error, "The login name or the password is wrong".

I have tried both diradmin and one of the network accounts with admin privileges.

If I type the host command in the Ubuntu terminal, I get the proper DNS resolution both in the forward and reverse directions.

I have attached the debug log but don't see anything myself to give me any direction.

• Attachment: debug.rtf
    (Size: 27.69KB, Downloaded 368 times)
  •  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

Hi,

I'm sorry, I forgot that you have to enable the "Directory Service" logging in the debug log. Then click on the "Test Connection" in directory service settings and an exception should appear in the debug log.

Could also you send me the screenshot with your OD settings in Workspace (to jobr<_at_>kerio.com) ?

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

Hi,

thank you for the screenshot and the log.
Could you check that the LDAP context "dc=domain,dc=lab" in the fields "Username" and "LDAP suffix" is the same you have in your OD controller ?
I tested OD connection from Workspace on Ubuntu 12.04 to OD on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server and it works fine.

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
phl

I encountered the same problems connecting to an Apple OD

Configuration: OD active on Mac OS 10.6.8 and on another machine Mac OS 10.8.2. Both are servers.

I installed KerioWorkSpace on the same machine with Mac OS 10.8.2 SRV, and also with the VM Ware Image Appliance (VMWare Server Dedicated on my network).

Same concerns identified on both platforms.
Unable to connect to OD.

I tested with the following parameters:
Name of my domain: mactenance.fr
My server name OD: sandy.mactenance.fr

in Kerio
Directory Service type: -> Apple Open Directory
Domain name -> The full name of the server OD. In my case -> sandy.mactenance.fr (my problem was here)
Hostname -> sandy.mactenance.fr
SSL -> Checked
Username -> diradmin (Changed automatically "uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=sandy,dc=mactenance, dc=fr"
Password -> Password diradmin
Search suffix -> dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr

With these settings I can connect to OD on a 10.6.8 or 10.8.2 server.

Now everything works correctly.

PS: Thanks to Google translation ...
  •  
JohnS

Of course, that was the one thing I did not try, i.e. using the full host name in the domain field.

It worked!!!

Can't tell you how much time I spent with trying to get this working.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Regards,

John Stephen
  •  
phl

It's been two months that I worked there.

Where is the error?
In the name of the field or in the programming field

The same type of error also exists in Kerio Connect.
In the Username field, after entering "diradmin", the result is "uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=mactenance,dc=fr".
The true parameter is "uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr".
Ditto "Search suffix" the result is "dc=mactenance, dc=cfr".
The true parameter is "dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr"

It is strange that Kerio developers did not have to return to this subject.
For nearly 7 years I installed Kerio Connect I've always had this problem. (at least since version 6 ...)

This is exactly the same for Kerio operator.
We must put the same settings as Kerio Connect. Tested on V1. Not had the opportunity to do so on other versions.
  •  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

phl wrote on Sun, 03 February 2013 18:48
It's been two months that I worked there.

Where is the error?
In the name of the field or in the programming field

Hi,

it's because the LDAP search suffix is computed from the domain name. I suppose your real search suffix is 'dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr'.

Could you test the LDAP connection from your Workspace appliance machine ? Use this command, please:

$ ldapsearch -LLL -x -H 'ldap://sandy.mactenance.fr:389' -b 'dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr' -D 'uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr' -W

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
phl

Quote:

Hi,

it's because the LDAP search suffix is computed from the domain name. I suppose your real search suffix is 'dc=sandy,dc=mactenance,dc=fr'.

Yes it is

Quote:
Could you test the LDAP connection from your Workspace appliance machine ?

Regards

It's working fine. I've all the content in LDAP Database.

Previous Topic: Extend search possibilities
Next Topic: 2.1 RC1 on CentOS 5.9: Sophos will not run
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 01:26:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.