Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » shared mailbox: sender name and rights details (How to do it in Kerio so we can say goodbye to Exchange and Google Apps Mail)
  •  
Makje

Send a private message to this user
Currently we have Microsoft exchange 2007 as part of Small Business Server 2008.
As we have too many users for SBS2008 we need to change our AD and our mailserver and we are looking at exchange 2013 (no upgrade path yet), Google Apps mail and Kerio Connect (my favorite)
As we have some specific wishes i've setup a Kerio Connect 8 on Debian 6 testserver using local accounts on Kerio and Outlook 2010 on my Windows 7 and am struggling to set it up as we want it to be.

Most of our e-mailusers in our company are pretty standard users, they can mail with their own email address or with a specific shared mailbox (info or ict<_at_>company.com for example) but their personal name can show as sender name, no problem there that will work fine with Kerio.

Our sales department however is our most important e-mailuser, it handles all commercial contact with the outside world.
For this they want to have 1 uniform look to the mail they send out: the same mailadres (sales<_at_>company.com) with 1 sender name (official company name) and 1 signature.
They are with 12 people but offcourse not all users in our sales department are the same;
Most have their own personal e-mailaddress as wel as 1 or more specific other shared mailaddress (info/test/backoffice etcetera)

In all of this outlook is the most important tool for the users, though a good webmail would probably be acceptable as Google apps is being considered as well.

Currently we have solved it like this in Exchange: our sales users have full mailbox access and send as (not send on behalve!) rights to the sales mailbox, in outlook their primary exchange account is sales<_at_>company.com
As their personal AD account has full mailbox access to sales they can login on it with their own credentials.
After that i add their own personal mailboxes and where needed other shared mailboxes they have rights for as additional mailboxes in Outlook.

Now when a sales person sends a mail it has sales<_at_>company.com as the standard from mailaddress, the official companyname as sender name etc.
As an added bonus the send mail is placed in the right send items mailfolder: the send item folder of the sales mailbox so their colegues can get to it when needed

(Note: the above applies to outlook, hardly anyone uses the webmail though you can logon to the sales mailbox in OWA with your own personal login when you know howt)

With Kerio i have the following problem to get things working somewhat similar:
When i have the users personal mailbox as primary KOC account his/her name is shown as sender name instead of our company name (like send on behalve does with exchange), big nono for us.
Now i could somewhat work arround it and just rename all these users' names to the official company name, authentication is still done at their personal mailaddress and password so far so good.
But the mail they send is placed in their own personal send items folder, they need to manually drag it to the shared sales mailbox sent items folder.
Also as their names are all the same, when someone wants to mail them on their own mailaddress it can be confusing selecting the right person in the contacts folder.
Sending mail on their personal adress also has the company name, not what you always want when it's personal...

When i make sales their primary KOC mailbox then they can send mail with the correct addres, official company name and the mail gets in the right send items folder.
But it has 2 major drawbacks:
- i need to log them in to outlook with the sales accountname en password, not their own personal accounts and passwords.
- i can't give them their other mailboxes specifically per person as they all login as sales.
For user A to also get his own personal mailaddress as additional mailbox in Outlook i have to give accessrights for his mailbox to the sales mailbox and therefor all his collegues can access it as well.
For user B the same as well as for any specific mailbox like info<_at_>company.com etcetera: far too many people get access rights to those mailboxes then when often those extra mailboxes are confidential too.

One other problem i expect is performance issues with Outlook caching with 12 people using sales as their primary mailbox.
With 12 users in Exchange we allready have some caching issues sometimes (maxed out serverhardware for 75 users), but i expect Kerio to have even bigger problems as there is more caching information serverside (indexes and stuff) than there seems to be with Exchange.

1 solution i was hoping for is to have 2 KOC accounts in outlook: 1 with sales as their primary mailbox and 1 with their own mailbox as primary and the additional shared mailboxes they have rights for.
But unfortunately i can have only 1 KOC account per Outlook profile.
Having 2 outlook profiles would work technically but would mean users have to constantly switch profiles to see whether they have any new email on the other profile.... That is not going to work.

I tried adding their personal mailbox as an imap account while sales is the KOC account, it seems to work completely...?

However this still has a few drawbacks:
- some users have 3 or 4 mailboxes besides their sales mailbox. they would all be separate imap accounts so no caching.
- every imap account has quite a few settings to set up in Outlook with.
- i need to log them in to outlook with the sales accountname en password and all the imap useraccounts, not their own personal accounts and passwords.
- in my testing outlook is slow with 1 KOC account and 2 imap accounts. My testserver may not be fast (AMD 3500+ with 768 MB ram), but with only 1 outlook user and 2 webclient users (all me) and only a dozen or so test-emails in the mailboxes....

[slightly offtopic]
i have tested samba4 AD with Kerio so we could move away from Microsft for most of our software (not all), but Kerio can't use it for authentication (its unsuported anyway and from what i saw on the forum it is to big a risk for me). Windows 2012 AD is just so... well suported with external software and suppliers that i fear we'll have a windows AD anyway. And Exchange is also a safe bet with the Outlook integration.

I still have to test Goole Apps mail, 1 of the sales people is really pushing it but i'm not so sure.
But mail is still out there if i can get Kerio to do what we want...

All in all i'm not happy with what i've come up so far with Kerio for our situation. I'm hoping you guys have some pointers or things i've missed.
Maybe having a AD authentication instead of local may change the login troublesome part for outlook?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2013 15:54]

Previous Topic: Access into Administration is disabled.
Next Topic: strange email signature AVG
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 23:30:48 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00409 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.