Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Important information about Kerio Workspace
  •  
astaples

Send a private message to this user
Hello all,

Today I want to share our plans to transition Kerio Workspace from an on-premise product to a new cloud-based business collaboration service. We are excited to announce the immediate availability of the Kerio Workspace 2.1 final release candidate and the launch of Samepage.io, the next generation of Kerio Workspace. We'd also like to share our end of life plans for Kerio Workspace.

Cloud vs. on-premise

Since we launched Kerio Workspace, the market for collaboration tools for the workplace has changed. Business users are demanding flexible and easily adopted cloud based services, featuring continuous improvements, elastic capacity and pay as you go pricing. We have therefore made the difficult decision to stop selling Workspace, and instead focus our efforts into launching Samepage.io, a cloud-based business collaboration service. You can read further details about this decision on our blog.

Kerio Workspace end-of-life

From today, Kerio Workspace is no longer available for sale. Kerio Workspace 2.1 (the final feature release of the on-prem solution) will be available for all current Kerio Workspace customers to download. We will maintain support, service releases and bug fixes for 1 year, but there will be no new features released. For more details please see the Kerio Workspace end-of-life FAQs.

Kerio Workspace 2.1 introduces

- External sharing - share pages with anyone, even outside your organization
- Redesigned sharing interface with new "editor" role
- New Image Gallery and Table components
- Completely redesigned UI
- ...and more!

Introducing Samepage

Today we are excited to introduce Samepage.io, a social collaboration platform connecting people with projects, conversations and files. As a cloud service, users can create an account quickly, invite colleagues to join, and share content and files with anyone. Rebuilt from the ground up with a new cloud architecture and sharing the same great new user interface introduced in Workspace 2.1, Samepage is the next generation of Workspace!

Incentives for Workspace customers

We recognize that you took a risk when choosing to purchase Workspace. As a gesture of goodwill, we will extend SWM free of charge through January 31, 2014 for any customer that wishes to continue using Workspace on-prem. Any customer that chooses to migrate from Workspace to Samepage will be eligible for the Premium Plan service free of charge through the duration of their Workspace paid SWM. We will also be offering a long term Loyal Customer discount on Samepage pricing for you as a Workspace customer.

Migration options

We are in the process of developing both a migration path from Workspace to Samepage and an export tool to help you get your data out of Workspace if that is the path you choose. We will communicate further details regarding these plans as soon as they are ready to share. We very much hope you will choose to migrate to Samepage. If Samepage isn't right for you, you can continue to use your Workspace perpetual license beyond January 31, 2014 however we will no longer provide support and service fixes after that date.

We hope you share our excitement once you see Samepage for yourself. We invite you to sign-up for the free Starter Plan service at www.samepage.io. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact your Kerio reseller or Kerio sales representative.

Best,
Andrew

Andrew Staples
PR Manager
Kerio Technologies, Inc.
(408) 496-3378
astaples<_at_>kerio.com
@andrew_kerioPR

[Updated on: Thu, 31 January 2013 20:45]

Andrew Staples
PR Manager
Kerio Technologies, Inc.
(408) 496-3378
astaples<_at_>kerio.com
@andrew_kerioPR
  •  
ElHupeke

Where can I download the final Workspace 2.1 version? The download page for Workspace is vanished. For us it's sad news that Workspace will be replaced by Samespace. Workspace is really a very good solution for small business here!
  •  
papester

The announcement that Workspace has been replaced by a "cloud" based solution is unfortunate. I will now need to rethink my use of the KERIO products. I have invested in both time and money using Connect, Workspace and Control and a move like this does not make me feel comfortable with your business decisions.

•  
kconklin

I am feeling burned. I am sure this has been in the works for some time now. I purchased a license for 20 users and have spent the last 6 weeks training users and migrating files into Workspace. We have an extremely large quantity of files which use a lot of disk space. Workspace was going to be a good tool for us. This was where we were keeping all our files.

Samepage will not work for us for a couple of reasons. First we have financial institution clients and none of their files can exist on the cloud. Because of the amount of disk space our files use, the pricing will be too much.

We had plans to move our email server from Communigate Pro to Kerio Connect but now I will not do that. Just not feeling confident in the stability of the Kerio product set.

Now I'll be spending the next few weeks moving our files back out of workspace to our old file server.

K
  •  
papester

It looks like version 2.1 of Workspace is actually a beta....Nice going Kerio, you really looked out for your clients.
  •  
ike

This is very bad/sad news. I was very excited to use Kerio workspace as a replacement for our internal sharepoint file sharing. I had spent considerable time working on a migrtion strategy using your API. I do not think we will be able to use the cloud product. I am very disappointed.
  •  
ElHupeke

I can't find the link to 2.1 . Download link seems vanished?
Do you have the URL to it?
Ah... found it.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 January 2013 20:54]

•  
astaples

All,

Kerio Workspace 2.1 has reached release candidate 1 and is available for download here: www.kerio.com/betas/workspace

The final version will be available in a couple weeks.

-Andrew

Andrew Staples
PR Manager
Kerio Technologies, Inc.
(408) 496-3378
astaples<_at_>kerio.com
@andrew_kerioPR
  •  
TCMMac

Pricing on the cloud version is to prohibitive!
  •  
Machete

kconklin wrote on Thu, 31 January 2013 20:27
I am feeling burned. I am sure this has been in the works for some time now. I purchased a license for 20 users and have spent the last 6 weeks training users and migrating files into Workspace. We have an extremely large quantity of files which use a lot of disk space. Workspace was going to be a good tool for us. This was where we were keeping all our files.

You aren't alone. For my 15 user base, it would cost me $5,000 annually (based on current pricing) to do with Samepage as I planned with Workspace in terms of storage. And to move those files back and forth across a WAN instead of my LAN? Goodbye speed and efficiency.

I'm looking into Alfresco to replace Workspace and Zimbra to replace Connect. I hope to be Kerio free in 12 months. Sad because they make good products, and from many workspace customer's view - just horrible business decisions.
  •  
kconklin

I can't express strongly enough my dismay over this move from Kerio. There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start...

- I signed up for a trial of samepage. I must say right off the bat, the new 'look' is very cold compared to workspace.
- With no controlled backup how do I know what will happen should there be a failure of some sort
- Where is my data hosted? "...in the Cloud..." is meaningless. Where is/are the facilities?
- Is there a disaster recovery facility? Is it in a geographically remote location? Is there data replication happening (is the DR a mirror?
- The pricing plan for those of us that collaborate on a log of files (read a lot of data storage) is ridiculous. Way, way too expensive. WS was a product that could be used for all files, Now samepage would only be used for some projects. That being the case, I might as well be using Basecamp.
- The answers to concerns on the samepage discussion board seem to indicate a disregard for the fact that real businesses are relying on this product for real work. Regarding a migration tool from WS to samepage, "...will be released in due course..." is a slap in the face. There are other comments out there from Kerio employees or reps that are way to casual and cavalier.
- How do I know that, say 6 months from now, Kerio won't change course with Connect and decide that it will only be a cloud service also?

Can someone at Kerio tell me why I should use samepage instead of huddle?

[Updated on: Fri, 01 February 2013 01:06]

•  
Lyle M

I'm so annoyed, I can't even put together a coherent response to this. I've been pushing Workspace in house rather aggressively. Now I'm going to look like an a$$.
I've vacillated on the future of Connect for us and the death of Workspace shifts the balance out of favor. Workspace looked like it was going to help solidify Kerio's place here. Now I have little holding me back. This swift kick to my rump will definitely produce some momentum.

Important company docs and info in the cloud = non starter

What surprises do you have next for us?

I hate to sound dramatic, but this boned me pretty hard.
-----------------
In the "Cloud vs. on-premise" bullet point above, I have to wonder where this research originated. It doesn't appear to be the result of talking to your own customers. I agree that there are some net apps that lend themselves to a cloud solution. The storage of sensitive business data and potentially large files doesn't fit that mold for many of us.
When I first started playing with Workspace, I realized some big potential for it in our organization. It looked like it could easily become a replacement to our aging home-built intranet site. It just needed a few little changes.

1. Unlicensed access (free users) for read-only visitors - no need to pay for RO users makes the product much more affordable and more readily turns 'free' licenses into paid.

2. Integration with Kerio Connect for items like calendars, address books (great for 'intranet' staff directory, etc.

3. Ongoing feature evolution and support coupled with confidence in a company that understands their market and doesn't continue to screw their customers (oops, too late).

Again, sorry for being so adversarial; this really isn't my nature. But, after all this time of being a Kerio cheerleader, I really feel betrayed. I recognize that a business is free to make whatever choices they want. All I can do is be part of the result of those continued questionable decisions. If there's a Kerio senior executive reading this and agreeing, please be brave enough to stand up and speak your mind.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 February 2013 04:34]

•  
cptlo306

I was working on projects for purchasing and deploying Workspace in both my primary employer (30 users) and two side jobs (total of about 65 users). Using a cloud version won't work for any of the three companies. I'm just glad I hadn't already made a purchase but now I get to research and find alternate products.
  •  
allgraphicsit

Shame workspace has been discontinued. I was planning to use it for a few of the companies I work for, I had held off for one more major upgrade before I got into properly. I am pleased I did hold off now, I would be very embarrassed if I had sold it into companies for it to be discontinued in the same version, I really feel for the guys who have adopted it and now have to go back to clients and colleagues and explain they have to find an alternative. I think I wanted third party user access, which I think is now part of samepage.

samepage will not be an option for me, my guess is that a large amount on kerio users are on Mac servers starting off with Kerio Connect and being Mac users a lot of them will be in the graphics industries. For my clients samepage will not be suitable because our files will be pretty big and most of them would not be allowed to store their clients data in an unknown cloud service.

I am really worried now that I will have to start looking at alternatives to Kerio Connect, I must have about 15 clients using it. As soon as I see their online offering getting more features than the on premises version I am going to have to seriously think about moving away.

Very disappointed, I really hope they change their direction on this. Not sure how many people like me are not pleased and I am sure they did some market research before hand but I can't help but feel this is going to be the start of my migration away from kerio products. I am just about to put kerio operator in to a 50 user company, bit worried about that.
jomasystems

I'm very disappointed about this decision!!!
I would expect that you would offer both solutions! A Cloud & on-premise solution!
For me it's a big step backwards. I'll definitely not suggest Samepage.io!

BR,

Mark
Previous Topic: Good Alternative
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 19:34:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.