Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio 7.3.3 & Outlook 2011 UTF-8 sync problem
  •  
Nemanja

Send a private message to this user
I discovered today an issue with emails that have been sent by Lotus Notes Release 8.5.2 and that are (partly) in UTF-8 character set.

Has anyone had any problems where Outlook 2011 for Mac is not being able to download nor sync emails that contain "invalid characters"? The Outlook 2011 displays "Unable to download the item. Item contains invalid XML characters". The email server we're using is Kerio Connect, version 7.3.3, which does receive the email and displays only a couple of characters from the Subject line wrongly.

The problem became apparent when one of the users saw the email through the iPhone, whereas the same email was not visible in (nor is it downloaded to) Outlook.

Thanks!
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

We are not aware of such problem. Please can you send us sample of such message(.eml file from the store)? Server/Outlook logs would be helpful too. Thanks.

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
  •  
Nemanja

Here is the actual email (in .eml format) and the email server log screenshot. What we found strange is the fact that Kerio already amended characters around the word "CIMARRON", as we can be 100% that our client (sender of the email) did not surround the trademark name with "&" and "8" characters.

The problem for us comes from the fact that Outlook never downloaded the email and not because Kerio amended a couple of characters.

Also, after further investigating this issue throughout the afternoon, we found other emails from the same client, which have long and complex subject lines to behave in the exact same way. Kerio displays the email through WebMail, Outlook ignores them and leaves them on the server. iPhone is able to retrieve it from the server. We conducted multiple tests, with several user accounts and we even replicated the error when we simply forward the email from one account to another.

•  
joca

Hi!

I have a customer with the exact same problem. Any progress with the investigations so far? Smile

The server is running 7.3.1 patch 2 on Ubuntu Linux.
The client have OS-X 10.8.2 and Outlook 2011.

I found a lot of errors in the servers error-log but maybe it is another issue?

EwsOperation.cpp: EWS request SyncFolderItems: error occurred; code 303, description: AdditionalProperties not supported

Does the problem described in the KB (see below) have something to do with it? The article doesn't tell what kind of issue that was the problem.

Since I am unable to post links I will only post the headline of the KB article.
Office 2011 for Mac Service Pack 2 (14.2) update is not compatable with Kerio Connect 7.3.2 and earlier

[Updated on: Fri, 08 February 2013 00:14]

•  
Nemanja

Hi Joca,

I've posted the same question directly to Kerio support professionals and I'm waiting to hear from them. It does seem that this is more of an Outlook problem than it is Kerio (at least to me), as the server does display the email and the iPhones are able to retrieve it.

However, it is strange that Kerio also does 'amend' the subject line just so ever slightly, so it could be that the problem comes from that. Furthermore, I'm not an expert on Lotus Notes and I don't know where the emails originate in the case of your client, but it could be that this is the real culprit Wink

I'll keep posting answers and information on this topic, when (if) I get to something.

Best regards,
Nemanja
  •  
joca

Thanks Nemanja!

Could you please provide information regarding the clients versions of his software?
OSX, Outlook 2011 with sp2?
Are you running Kerio on mac/win/linux?

•  
Nemanja

Hello again Wink

We simulated this problem on at least 8 different computers. This email arrived to our incoming distribution email address which is then automatically forwarded to several different email addresses (and computers). All of these computers run either 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 and the most updated Office version. As Microsoft released 14.3.0 update just a couple of days before all this happened, the majority of computers still ran 14.2.5 and we even had one which ran 14.3.0 (with the same results).

Our Kerio Connect server is running on CentOS release 5.6 (Final), x86 and the Kerio version is 7.3.3 build 7051.

Please let me know if there's anything else that you might need.

As far as I managed to figure out, none of the subsequent updates for Office for Mac after the SP2 (14.2.0) resolve anything in this regard. Also, the compatibility of Outlook (Office) and Kerio 7.3.3 does not seem to pose a problem.

Best regards,
Nemanja
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

I can confirm this problem is caused by incorrectly folded header (Subject) in original message. After decoding it contains invalid utf-8 character.
Other clients are not affected because Outlook 2011 uses XML for communication and server response containing such invalid character is rejected completely even if only Subject is invalid. The primary cause is message producer (some script on Lotus Notes?).
Workaround is to avoid non-ascii characters in subject (body is o.k.)

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

ad error message
"EwsOperation.cpp: EWS request SyncFolderItems: error occurred; code 303, description: AdditionalProperties not supported"

This is probably caused by some unsupported client using unimplemented part of EWS. Anyway it has no connection to the described problem.

Pavel Špalek
  •  
joca

Hi Nemanja and pspalek!

Thanks for your input.
I was running OSX 10.7 and Office 2011 with SP2 on my testing environment.
This setup trigged the XML errors.

I upgraded OSX to 10.8.2. Same XML errors.

I did a complete removal of Office 2011 SP2 according knowledge base article 2398768
(support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768).

and installed Office 2011 (without any servicepacks or any other upgrades after installation).

I am now running OSX 10.8.2 and Office 2011 without any servicepacks and the errormessages are gone!! Very Happy
I do now have a fully working environment with exchange sync.

I will now try to upgrade with servicepack 1 and 2 to see what happens.

•  
joca

Hi!

I have now installed one update at a time to find out where the synchronization breaks.

First I installed an installationpackage for Office 2011 that does not include any servicepacks. Downloaded from Microsoft MSDN.

I then upgraded Office 2011 one patch at a time. After every patch I cleard the cache of the inbox folder in Outlook and watched it resync.

1. Microsoft Autoupdate 2.3.6 - working!
2. Office 2011 14.1.0 Update (SP1) - working!
3. Microsoft Error Reporting for Mac 2.2.9 Update - working!
4. Office 2011 14.2.3 Update (SP2) - working!
5. Office 2011 14.3.0 Update (SP3) - XML errors! Unable to resync.

•  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Thank you for the effort. Unfortunately if the XML parser in Outlook is more restrictive after the last update, then it's something we cannot fix or change. Anyway the invalid character in subject is the problem of original sender and it shouldn't happen commonly.

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Nemanja

Dear Joca and ppspalek,

Thank you both for your time and effort that you put into this issue. I also received input directly from Kerio, with a suggestion to update Kerio Connect to the latest 7 version (7.4.3-7813) and then to test if the emails are going to sync.

It's clear that the issue is coming from Oulook, as both the webmail and the iPhone are able to recognise and display/download the email. It's also clear that this is not a very common issue and that in fact the cause is in the invalid character in the original email. If any of us gets any more information on this issue and how to resolve it, I'm looking forward to keep this thread alive.

Kind regards,
Nemanja
  •  
joca

Quote:
Thank you for the effort. Unfortunately if the XML parser in Outlook is more restrictive after the last update, then it's something we cannot fix or change. Anyway the invalid character in subject is the problem of original sender and it shouldn't happen commonly.

Thanks for your answer pspalek, but since Kerio Connect is marketed as an Exchange alternative customers will be very disapointed if they are not able to connect the most common exchange client (Outlook) to the server.
Without having checked the behavior of connecting Outlook 2011 with SP3 to Office365, I'm sure this will work regardles of the more restricted XML parser in SP3? (ie it should be possible for kerio as well).

Are there any hints that this will be fixed (ie less restricted xml parser) in the following servicepacks or releases of Outlook?
joca

Hi!

Ive got some more to contribute with.

Tonight we upgraded our mailserver to 8.0 and many of the strange behaviours that we have found in OS X and Office 2011 for mac went away.
I could even upgrade Office 2011 to SP3 without any synchronization errors in Outlook so it seems that your team at Kerio have fixed the problems without you knowing about it (?) Wink

I must say the new smurfed webclient is really confusing, but I will probably get to know it better after some time. Wink

Previous Topic: Calendar invitations issue
Next Topic: Office 2011 New Update Feb. 14th
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 07:35:47 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00590 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.