Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Monitor Account Silently
  •  
lkern

Send a private message to this user
I have been tasked with monitoring a mail account by my supervisor, and am trying to figure a way to do this. I can forward all mail to my account, but that doesn't get the recieved mail. I set up a rule on the admin web-side to place all mail with that user account to a specific folder but that does not seem to work.
So what is the best way to accomplish this task?
We all use clients like Mail and Entourage.
  •  
Charles B

I don't understand your message.

What do you mean by this:lkern wrote
...but that doesn't get the recieved mail.
It seems to me that it would be just the opposite, but perhaps I don't understand your frame of reference.

Also, you did what?lkern wrote
...I set up a rule on the admin web-side to place all mail with that user account to a specific folder but that does not seem to work.
What do you mean by "the admin web-side", and what did you use to set up a rule? I can't picture what you did, so can you explain that a bit more verbosely for me?

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
lkern

Oops, "received mail" was indeed wrong. If I set up a forward it does send the received mail, not the sent mail, and I need that.

The admin account on Kerio contains every message in the system (see pic). I set up a rule that says that any mail with specific attributes is forwarded, or I also tried to send it to an archive folder.

I just cannot figure out how to shadow this person and have access to all mail messages generated by and to them. As a side note, I find this somewhat troubling, but I am the director, I am responsible for carrying out policy, and it IS our mail system. But still.

• Attachment: kerio1.jpg
    (Size: 102.57KB, Downloaded 254 times)
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

I recommend using the Archive feature in the Kerio Connect WebMail. Enable the option 'Archive to remote email address' and type in your email address.

In WebMail, create a new folder to receive this user's mail.

Create Mail Filters similar to these:

Rule #1
Condition: Where the recipient address (To or CC line) contains: user<_at_>domain.com
Where the From address contains: user<_at_>domain.com
Action: Move to specified folder (select the folder you created)
Stop processing more actions

Rule #2
Condition: Where the recipient address (To or CC line) contains: your_user_name<_at_>domain.com
Action: KEEP in INBOX

Rule #3
Condition: Where the recipient address (To or CC line) DOES NOT contain: user@domain.com and your_user_name<_at_>domain.com
Where the From address DOES NOT contain: user@domain.com and your_user_name<_at_>domain.com
Action: Discard the message

The third rule is needed so your account does not keep mail for the other users in the domain.
  •  
Charles B

Jeff Wadlow's post is excellent, and his solution will indeed accomplish what you want.

There may be other problems introduced by this solution, depending on your server and situation. The biggest one for me is if you are already using the archive function to archive all your email, then you will lose that whole server archive functionality in favor of archiving just one person's email. Another issue is that it as much as doubles the number of emails flying around your server. In my case, my server gets a bit laggy at peak times as it is. With the addition of having every email on the server being sent to my inbox and run through another set of filters, the server really bogs down.

I had to do the same thing a while ago--monitor an account and forward all emails (not just incoming) to a third person's folder--and wasn't able to use Jeff's archiving trick for the reasons I listed above.

The biggest problem with a normal forward in Kerio is: how do you get the sent email? You can share the sent folder, but if your monitored person is in the habit of cleaning out the Sent emails (as mine was), you would probably miss some.

While a standard forward feature handled the incoming email fine, I wound up going outside of Kerio's tools and kludging something together for the sent email. The ugly hack I used involved running incrond (debian linux server). I set it to watch the monitored "Sent Items" directory, and trigger on IN_MOVED_TO. I had it copy the contents of the sent items folder (using noclobber so it would only copy the new file instead of re-copying the whole directory) into a folder in the third person's email account. While this makes a copy of the emails, it doesn't show up in the 3rd person's email client because the indexes are not updated. So, to make this solution work, I or someone else with admin access had to manually re-index the 3rd persons account. We didn't need real-time monitoring, so re-indexing the account once or twice a day was adequate.

Like I said, an ugly hack, but it did the trick for the short time it was needed. If I had more time, I might look into learning the Kerio API and maybe using it to do it in a manner that would also keep the target folder's index in sync.

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
pcunix

There is a way to have your cake and eat it too.

I had a customer request this. As it happens, he is already using MailArchiva to pick up the Kerio archives and slice/dice them. I hadn't seen Jeff's post, but came up with the exact same solution, except with only one rule (because that's all we need there). MailArchiva conveniently removes mail from some user's mailbox, so we archive to that email address. That user (the one we archive to) has a filter rule that looks for mail being sent by X and forwards it to Y, then leaves it in inbox for MailArchiva. Y happens to be off-domain, so we get no duplication (it does cost a user license, though).

Of course the other way is just to have a script monitor the Archive folder and pull what you need from it.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 19:55]

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
pcunix

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
Previous Topic: Connect Client Performance (tune it?)
Next Topic: Kerio 8.1.0 and Google Calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 07:03:17 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.