Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook Connector: SLOW (Slowness not acceptable: people is claiming)
  •  
DanCal

Send a private message to this user
Hello,
I'm a Kerio Partner and a Kerio Connect "supporter", but I'm in difficulties trying to answer my customers when they ask me: "Why is Outlook so slow as far as we started to use Kerio?"
I'm normally working with Mac, and the search feature is embarrassing faster.
I have people calling me the first 2/3 times they try and search something with Outlook Connector. Next, they stop calling, but I'm sure they are wishing to change the system.

Please, work harder on this performance problem, because this is the one who keep people asking for Exchange.

Thanks and kind regards,
Dan
  •  
bart.mulier

Hi,

do you have a solution for the slowness of the Kerio connector?

I did a Kerio installation on a brand new server and now all the clients (about 5) complaining about very slow connection to this mail server.
When clicking a folder or the calendar, it takes about one minute to get the information.
Also sometimes the Kerio Outlook Connector goes offline.

All clients are connected with a gigabit connection to a switch, and are all Windows XP with Outlook 2011.
Before I've installed the new server, they had an old server with Exchange accounts and this works much faster they tell me.

Thanks for your information.

Bart
  •  
puretech

Normally, what Kerio guys and other people will suggest is having a faster disk as Kerio use disk more than CPU and Memory.

But I think it is down to the system (kerio) performance. I have 15K SAS disks, but performance isn't anywhere near Exchange..
  •  
mbmaplethorpe

A good hardware setup on the server is only half of it. We moved from Exchange to Kerio about 4 years ago and our users said the same thing about Outlook speed. Exchange and Kerio are different beasts - they don't operate in the same way to my knowledge.

Things that worked for us:

1. Turn off add-ins in Outlook that aren't required (I think an old post here may cover that)
2. Ensure users have a good amount of RAM and a decent hard disk - we replaced old laptop drives with cheap SSDs.
3. Ensure users don't have 10,000+ items in their inbox. Make sure they split emails into sub-folders.

A bit of education and a small amount of time tweaking setups alongside a few disk upgrades solved 99% of our issues.
  •  
puretech

While I agree with mbmaplethorpe about the decent amount of RAM on users machines, I do not like the idea of upgrading hardware and/or hard disks to SSDs.

It is easier to do on less users, but when users are 100+, it gets costly. And if you add the hours of work+cost, i think Kerio won't be far enough than Exchange.

Anyway, just my opinion. I understand offline connector caches and it needs RAM which is fine, but surely, switching between folders could get tweaked. Afterall this is what - for me - the price is. Having new versions which are not fully up and running gives the impression Kerio is just pushing it through without addressing some of the issues that are been around for years.
  •  
BudDurland

FWIW, we've found that the connector without off-line caching is much faster. In my opinion, this client set up makes much more sense for desktop users.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
DanCal

How to do it? (disable off-line caching)

Thanks,
Dan
  •  
aceint

Indeed, I'd also love to know how to improve Outlook's performance in combination with Kerio Outlook Connector.
Turning InstantSearch and the "Group by" - view off did not help at all. Now disabling the off-line caching function sounds new to me. Please give advice of how to do it in Outlook 2007.

Best Regards
Sebastian
  •  
scornelissen85

For Kerio Outlook without offline caching see here: http : / / www.kerio.com/connect/download#tabset-tab-2 (Download of End-User tools from Kerio)

There you will find a "Kerio Outlook Connector (without offline caching) ". It doesn't work with the latest versions of Outlook. It's supported up to Outlook 2007 (SP1).
  •  
DanCal

Ok, thanks for the info.....
Unfortunately me and all my customers are using Outlook 2010 + (me 2013).

no good no good: customers are claiming to go back to Exchange because the WANT to use Outlook (there is no REAL alternative on the market to it)
  •  
MarkK

Talking with Kerio Support the other day, v8 KOFF connector has a new feature that is supposed to help with users with large mailboxes. The new update will purge from the cache file only any attachments more than 6 months old, leaving those on the server only. Then if the user ever needs one, the connector will download it from the server. This is supposed to help reduce the size of the local cache which is suppose to help with the speed. If upgrading to v8 from an older version, you would need to rebuild the local KOFF cache from scratch.

I have not tried this, so I do not know how much of an improvement it offers.
  •  
etieseler

Just curious, what is considered slow? And what actions are slow? We've used Kerio since the 6.x days, and at first Outlook startup time was pretty slow, and especially slow when the user has all their 10,000+ emails in their inbox and no subfolders. At this point I honestly don't notice any performance issues, but maybe I'm just used to its performance.

So please, what actions do you see as being slow and what defines them as slow? Like, it takes x seconds to change folders, or x seconds to open Outlook, etc. I'd like to compare it to my installation and see if its similar to us, and try things like rebuilding the local cache which I have not done after updating to v8.x.

-Ed
  •  
MarkK

etieseler,
I would like to know if you see any performance difference after recreating a new profile on a user that has a large mailbox in v8, since you have already upgraded.
  •  
etieseler

I will try this out soon and post on here the results. Are you curious about simply large mail boxes, or a large amount of items in the Inbox?

-Ed
BudDurland

DanCal wrote on Fri, 22 March 2013 05:00
customers are claiming to go back to Exchange because the WANT to use Outlook (there is no REAL alternative on the market to it)

FWIW, I've been using EM client (link here) with Kerio Connect 8. It takes a couple extra minutes to set up calendars and contacts, but I've not run into anything that Outlook does that this doesn't. Well, other than outlook specific COM automation, but that's different.

And it's fast.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
Previous Topic: what's the best failsafe-idea?
Next Topic: outlook 2003 Kerio 8 Public contacts issue
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 00:01:06 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00577 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.