Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Mail Drafts (Apple Mail 10.8.2 fails when syncing drafts mailbox)
  •  
philipwoods

Send a private message to this user
We've had this same issue with Kerio Connect (v7.4.X and 8.0.X) and Mac OS X clients using Apple Mail (10.7.4 through 10.8.2) where the drafts mailbox seems to go wrong when syncing via Exchange account.

Apple mail stalls when synchronising drafts saying that it's received 1 of 18446744073707454466 headers.

We were waiting for Connect 8 to come out before we raised the issue, but it is still there, and our clients were fine when running from Mac OS X Server via IMAP for email, but when we migrated to Kerio Connect and Exchange clients the problem arose.

Hope someone can help or point me to another thread where this is addressed.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Do you use IMAP or "Exchange IMAP" account in Apple Mail? Please note that "Exchange" account is not supported.
  •  
fishtech

I am having this problem with a user also.

I use 'Exchange IMAP', set up in Apple Mail by the Kerio Connect Account Assistant tool on OSX 10.2.8

Thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 March 2013 21:05]

•  
davefox

Bump.. getting the same thing here.

I'm connected from Apple Mail 6.3 on Mountain Lion to Kerio 8.0.2 using IMAP. I'm not using 'exchange IMAP'.

I'll post a screengrab next time it happens.

I know Apple Mail has hit a problem because I hear the fans spin up on my Macbook Pro. I'm not using anything Exchange-related.

It's been happening since upgrading to Lion I think. Getting more frequent so decided to google it.

Hope there's a solution!

David
  •  
fishtech

I've now seen it at different times on 5 different client machines (10.6 and 10.8 ) over the last month or so. My server is still 7.4.3.

I am not able to force this problem to happen, and I am not able to see a 'pattern' yet so it's particularly difficult to troubleshoot.

But I have realized the problem coincides with a lot of RAM page outs and swap memory use, as indicated in Activity Monitor > System Memory.

When the problem happens the Memory use of Mail increases to 2.5Gb or more. The whole machine will eventually slow down and stall.

To try to fix I have deleted and rebuilt client accounts on the computers... no effect.

Investigated hard drive problems... no problems found.

Repaired disk permissions... no effect.

Rebuilt server-side index for affected accounts... no effect

I most recent'y had the problem 2/3 days ago on 2 machines and tried 2 new things...

Due to the swap memory issue, I zapped PRAM on the 2 machines.

I also deleted an adobe nasty that allows flash to do silent background updating at /Libray/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist. Might be coincidence but these files were installed a week or 2 before the problem started occurring.

It's too early to say if these steps have had any effect - I'm sure finding this is a difficult one to try to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 May 2013 19:25]

•  
MacLab

Apple Mail seems to be happier if you set the drafts to local instead of on the server. Try this and let us know if the problem goes away.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
davefox

Thanks for the suggestion. I've set local 'drafts' storage for all my accounts in Apple Mail. I'll report back in a few days when i've had time to soak-test. Fingers crossed.

David
  •  
fishtech

Quote:
Apple Mail seems to be happier if you set the drafts to local instead of on the server

Do you have any source or references for that info please?

Does your comment relate to Apple Mail specifically with Kerio Connect, or Mail app in general?

Thanks,

ft.

•  
philipwoods

It looks like we have managed to get rid of this issue in our setup by disabling the Auto Expunge feature of Connect.

Google 'Why does Kerio Connect automatically expunge messages marked for deletion through IMAP' to find the Kerio KB article explaining how to disable auto expunge. (sorry. not allowed to include links in my posts yet)

I'm not sure if disabling auto expunge would adversely effect Windows / Android clients because we are a Mac OS X & iOS only environment. But it's definitely solved the looping synchronising drafts message we used to get.

Also allows Apple Mail clients to 'undo' accidental deletions from the inbox which is not possible with auto expunge on.
  •  
MacLab

Mail app's drafts constantly writes and deletes new versions. It drives Kerio (and Gmail) nuts. There is plenty out on the web on it. It's just not worth it to synchronized draft messages. I was also told by Kerio support that it keeps a huge number of connections open to the server.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2013 12:55]

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
fishtech

Just to clarify, the attached image shows what we see in Mail > Window menu > Activity when this problem manifests.

The entire OS gradually grinds to a halt, and Mail's memory usage goes through the roof.

Have not had this problem for 4 days since taking the steps previously outlined, but it is an intermittent problem.

ft.

•  
philipwoods

Been running for two weeks without seeing this since disabling auto expunge. Have you tried that yet?
  •  
fishtech

I have not tried that yet. (Sorry - didn't notice you were the OP).

With auto-expunge off do your users experience different behavior in Mail app? Do they see deleted messages with lines through?

Out of interest how long have you been running Kerio Connect and when did the problem start?

I'm asking since we have run Kerio Connect for nearly 3 years without ever seeing this problem. The problem began about 6 weeks ago.

Were you ever able to find a technique to 'make the problem happen' consistently?

Thanks,

b.
  •  
philipwoods

We only moved to Kerio about a year ago on Connect v7.4, but got the problem straight away with mainly Mac OS X 10.7 clients using Apple mail. Easy enough to reproduce by leaving a half written message open for a while, and the action of Apple mail writing back draft copies almost constantly would provoke the error.

Since turning auto expunge off Apple mail behaves how it always used to with Mac OS X Server acting as our mail server. Most notably we can use the 'undo' command to reverse accidental inbox deletions. No strike through behaviour. We've also got rid of annoying behaviour where when marking mail from your inbox as junk, the action of it being moved to the junk folder also used to produce a copy of that message in deleted items.

As I said earlier in post, I'm not sure what auto expunge does for Windows client apps, but it seems to have nothing but negative effects for Mac users. Turning it off could be called the 'make it work with Apple Mail' setting.

Seems very odd to me that this isn't better documented and publicised by Kerio.
klynde

I have the same issue with fetching headers. I disabled auto-expunge and the problem went away. One side effect I found is messages deleted in Mail.app are moved to the trash, but still show up in the inbox in webmail and on the iPhone.

I've tried synchronizing the account from Mail, but the message are still in webmail.

I'm using IMAP to connect to Kerio 8.1.1. I have other users using Exchange IMAP that are having the same issue.

Thanks
Previous Topic: Am I doing aliases wrong?
Next Topic: CardDAV
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 17:41:15 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00558 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.