Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect price increases over the last 5 years (50 user license price 2008: £650 and 2013: £1110)
  •  
ofir

Send a private message to this user
Here are some more examples

2008: Connect (includes 10 users) : £ 250
2013: Connect (includes 5 users) : £ 300

2008: Connect 100 users (base +90): £1150
2013: Connect 100 users (base +95): £2010

How do people feel about this?

Has the product improved so much since 2008 to justify almost doubling of price?

IT support - www.galweb.com and software dev - www.hstracker.com
  •  
Backspin

If you look at the features, Kerio Connect is still a very good product, and, at this price point, is still competitive and more affordable compared to other commercial solutions.
On the other hand, it seems that's exactly what Kerio sales and marketing is thinking: our price is still lower than other solutions, so this means we can raise it without customers running away. Squeeze every last drop of money out of the product.

It's the way capitalism works, unfortunately. While Kerio Connect is a great product, this leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Besides that, they need a way to finance the black holes called WorkSpace and Samepage.iou
  •  
ofir

Notice my 30 negative karma points? All earned by complaining about the price. I started with 0 this morning. Some people are just suckers. Some end-users even argue that price hikes are justified.

I think Kerio have lost the plot, the product is good, but not as good as they think it is.

Ive seen this happen before. Capitalism eventually self corrects, but in the process the small fish get fried.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, the forum indicates that most of your negative karma points came from your other posts related to off-topic discussion and void arguing with other forum members.
  •  
ofir

Quote:
Actually, the forum indicates that most of your negative karma points came from your other posts related to off-topic discussion and void arguing with other forum members.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I was 100% on topic. It was a discussion about price changes. I know you don't like that I highlight how you double your prices every 5 years, but it remains a fact.

•  
mpermann

I must say, it's impressive how your negative karma has increased. It was -27 about an hour ago. Smile People will vote with their wallets. The smaller installations will probably stick with Kerio but the larger ones will likely think twice about it.
  •  
ofir

Quote:
I must say, it's impressive how your negative karma has increased. It was -27 about an hour ago. People will vote with their wallets. The smaller installations will probably stick with Kerio but the larger ones will likely think twice about it.

Yes, people seem more concerned about policing the forum than being ripped-off.

•  
koffie

Sorry mate but the bad karma is due to your constant hammering on the price points.
It's good that someone brings the pricing to discussion but in the other topics you have taken it very far by just simply not accepting any argument that doesn't fit into your vision.

A constructive discussion about the pricing can only live on if all participating parties in a discussion are willing to listen to each others arguments and react on those in a civilised and constructive way.

It often helps to write a reply, put it aside and after a while read it again to take the sharp edges off and then post it. Instead of immediately reacting on other posts which usually results in posting reply's driven by emotion.

Back ontopic:
Yes the pricing has significantly increased, and the paid support and exclusion of anti-virus products didn't help either. But there has been tremendous amounts of work put in Connect. The problem is mostly that probably 85% of those changes are 'below the hood'. An end user will never see them but they make sure his new Outlook version keeps working, his phone keeps syncing, the backups are not corrupt, the software demands less resources. etc. etc. you could go on for ages with these improvements.

So yes pricing has increased
And yes there have been serious improvements made in all those years.

But only you/the customer can decide if that is justifiable, for some it will, for some it won't.
And if the majority thinks it isn't justifiable then in a couple of years it will be noticed. More will get taken out of, subscription-only, and that vicious circle will continue until a company is dead.
But for now, the majority thinks that the price increase is worth the product and Kerio only keeps growing.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2013 22:12]

•  
ofir

No one made any point that explained why prices should double every 5 years. If they have then please point me to the relevant post, I must have missed it. All people did was to demonstrate their naivety about pricing changes and business practices. Oh - and how they like to police forums.

I fail to see what your point is here too. If you sit on the fence for too long you will get a hole in your pants.

After 6 years of complaining - it's still impossible to stop Kerio on any of my servers without getting error messages and corrupt index files.

Office hours still default to start at 2PM in the UK.

Logins to webmail can sometimes take 5 to 10 minutes for no reason.

I can go on. So, no, I don't buy the 'under the hood' stories. I expect a basic problem fixed in less than 6 years...

I don't care about any of the new features, neither do my clients. They want a server that works reliably. From our point of view, the feature set has been reduced, support decimated and the price doubled.

All that said, Kerio Connect is a good product and the people that make it should be rewarded for their efforts. But so should the people who pay for it all - the customers. We should have a server that works reliably and we shouldn't be treated like wallets.

People should stop being suckers and demand that products they paid for work as advertised. That in my opinion is far more important than being on-topic, but I still insist that I was 100% on-topic.

•  
ofir

I think having resellers on the forums creates a bias in favour of Kerio and it explains why my karma is negative. Resellers are not customers, they are part of the Kerio machinery, no wonder they don't like criticism of their products.

Conflict of interest hits again.

•  
ofir

Quote:
A constructive discussion about the pricing can only live on if all participating parties in a discussion are willing to listen to each others arguments and react on those in a civilised and constructive way.

If you read the thread you will see that it was people attacking me and being rude and insulting. Conflict of interest again.

•  
koffie

I will look for the arguments other people made in a minute but let me first react on the rest of your post.

This is not meant as a comment about your expertise but maybe you should have a look at those servers then....
We have Kerio running on dozens of servers, Mac, Linux and Windows. And yes there were issues on the mac and linux versions with stopping the service. But since version 7.0 those problems have been solved and we have not seen them anymore.

Regarding the office hours I can't comment as I don't have UK based servers.
Have you entered a support ticket in those 6 years? Because if so then it should have been solved. Tickets are only closed when they're solved. Otherwise you should have a number for an open ticket and email that to your local Kerio Distributor. They will pick it up and put it through directly to the dev. department.

I have never experienced the webmail login problems you are describing, and never heard of it before today. Again I would take a serious look at environment variables here.

If you don't care about the new features then simple don't buy upgrades anymore. If you don't believe the 'under the hood; stories...thats your personal problem. The changelogs speak for themselves.
Your constant use of words like 'suckers' and the generalisation that speaks out of it isn't making your case any stronger. It makes it look like you have a personal problem with Kerio instead of a professional one.
I understand that you are frustrated but want to urge you to be aware of your language if you want other forum members and the people at Kerio to take you seriously.

•  
koffie

ofir wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 22:37
I think having resellers on the forums creates a bias in favour of Kerio and it explains why my karma is negative. Resellers are not customers, they are part of the Kerio machinery, no wonder they don't like criticism of their products.

Conflict of interest hits again.

There are enough resellers that are very critical towards Kerio, me being one myself.
For example the newly introduced webmail brought up loads of debate, just like the killing of workspace and the start of samepage.
Personally I need to be critical towards Kerio to defend my customers needs, if they walk away my business walks away.
So I have not a single advantage of being nice to Kerio about changes in pricing or features.

It seems that you really have a 'me against the machine' attitude now and are not willing to take constructive critisicm from anyone here. Simply dismissing them of being part of the machine.
It would advise you to just stop with Kerio as of today then and find yourself a new nice product to consult one. It will cause you a lot less stress.
  •  
ofir

Quote:
This is not meant as a comment about your expertise but maybe you should have a look at those servers then....
We have Kerio running on dozens of servers, Mac, Linux and Windows. And yes there were issues on the mac and linux versions with stopping the service. But since version 7.0 those problems have been solved and we have not seen them anymore.

I still get these on all my servers. So do many others: http://forums.kerio.com/t/19969/can-t-stop-kerio-server-7-2-

And yes I opened a support ticket and was given several ways of 'fixing' this - none of which worked. This happens on freshly installed computers, straight from the shop, install Kerio, press stop and it doesn't.

You say I could stay with an old version but at the same time contradict yourself and say the problem was solved with a later version.

Quote:
If you don't care about the new features then simple don't buy upgrades anymore. If you don't believe the 'under the hood; stories...thats your personal problem. The changelogs speak for themselves.

That's a false argument. In practice it's impossible to get bug fixes and stay with an old version. We are forced to update and keep on paying for promised bug fixes.

Thanks for monitoring my language, but this service isn't required and has never been requested, so you can drop it. Just stick to facts if you don't mind.

If you sell Kerio products you should declare a conflict of interest here which would help explain a few of your comments.

ofir

Quote:
There are enough resellers that are very critical towards Kerio, me being one myself.

Enough said - conflict of interest.

Previous Topic: Can't Stop Kerio Server (7.2)
Next Topic: Kerio update problem 8.0.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Aug 22 20:29:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00554 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.