Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » EAS if license expires
  •  
pal

Send a private message to this user
Price increase besides, what happens with the extra EAS licenses after the maintenance runs out?
  •  
Fil

Not sure what you mean by the question?

Existing customers can upgrade to the new version of Connect and continue to use EAS at no extra cost until the licence is due for renewal. At this point you would need to choose if you want to swap to using IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV (free option) or to purchase the EAS extension.

If you choose not to purchase the EAS extension then that functionality will stop working once the licence expires.

Does that answer your question?
  •  
pal

If i purchase the EAS extension after May, but deceid to not renewal maintenance in 2014. What happens to the EAS support after one year without maintenance?
  •  
coolknight8888

What if I only need MS Exchange and no CalDav etc. We are phasing out all smartphones under HD 720p displays for 2013. And under FULL HD 1080p for 2014. So iPhones are history in our company.

Will there be a package with only MS Exchange support?

Do I have to upgrade to version 8.01 from 7.4.3? Can I not just renew the Sophos Anti-Virus?

If I upgrade now to one year of 8.01 maintenance support, do I have MS Exchange for 1 year?
Because, I might be ok with CalDav only if MS updates WP8 to full CalDav support, which they say they are doing.

Just questions as our license is up for renewal in 25 days.

Thank you for some answers!

[Updated on: Mon, 11 March 2013 17:12]

•  
Tjareson

Somehow I do not understand what is going on here:

For my understanding the EAS is a feature of the Kerio Mailserver (by the way: one reason why we got Kerio at all)
So what happens know is that a feature where we have already paid a licence price for is all of a sudden taken out and sold on a rental basis?

And the reasoning that Kerio has to pay more to Microsoft, because there are more mobile user doesnt't sound logical to me:
a) Is Kerio measuring how many times the EAS is in fact used by their customers? They are all buying the same lincence so far, no matter if a user connect via IMAP or EAS. So how is the number of increasing mobile users really coming in here, as long as Kerio do not have any visibility, if customers are using a mobile device at all with their server?
b) If Microsoft is raising their fees for whatever reason, then Kerio had the wrong business model: they have a cost in their product which doesn't scale properly with their price model and induced a risk which their customers now have to pay for!

I wonder what other future surprises will come up where Kerio used this or that library, protocol or whatever, which is then sold a second time to customers.

Unbelievable!

Tjareson

•  
pal

I didn't ask why the EAS license is a separate addon. I just want to know what happens with a EAS license after the first year if i don't renew my maintenance.

Microsoft has raised the price for EAS licenses and Kerio Connect is easy and cheap compared to other EAS products. I am not happy about the price increase but we have at least a choice. That a cheap product can't compensate for the EAS price increase should speak for the low price of the product itself. Also note that the EAS license price increase is the reason why Google ditched this service altogether for their standard users - and Google could afford that.

Selling the DAV access as an separate addon doesn't make sense because this is an open standard and can be used for free - this will be the future and the only way to get rid of EAS sometime...

Please note that i call Kerio Connect "cheap" in an not insulting way - just as a price view.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

pal wrote on Tue, 12 March 2013 11:41
I didn't ask why the EAS license is a separate addon. I just want to know what happens with a EAS license after the first year if i don't renew my maintenance.

If the Software Maintenance is not renewed then the product will continue to work but some features will be unavailable. Such as ability to update to newer version, Sophos AV updates and Exchange ActiveSync synchronization. You can still use all other clients and services and switch mobile devices to other protocols.
  •  
Tjareson

So that means that keeping EAS working is not only the 2 Dollars per user/year but also forces me to pay the maintenance fee?

•  
McIrish

I'm not sure why more people are not extremely angry about this. Mad
I switched from Exchange to Kerio Connect in 2011 primarily because it offered EAS and Blackberry support. After making the change, we found the Blackberry connector to be one of the buggiest pieces of software ever created. It cost me a a lot of money (and almost my job) to switch our 80+ Blackberry users over to Androids. I can't tell you how angry I was. Now, I'm being told that EAS is going to be an extra charge. You know what that tells me? That tells me I will be looking for a different mail server for our 200 users before my next renewal. Complete BS. I am so aggravated with Kerio. Version 8 caused all kinds of grief with attachments not being delivered to KOC and the new web mail is completely unusable. Is the new motto "Offer Less, Charge More"?
Seriously! Who is making up the market strategy? They had a chance to really dig into Microsoft's Exchange base, but they are screwing it up.
Unbelieveable...

•  
GlennK

$2 per user per year is not really a huge amount. Yes it can add up but it's not enough to make you run screaming and ditch a good solution.
  •  
sfpete

Agree with Glenn wholeheartedly.

$2 per user per *YEAR*.

Come on now people. This is not a large expense. If it is - you likely have bigger issues brewing in properly managing your IT infrastructure.
  •  
mpermann

I think some people see it as a continuation of nickeling and diming their customers to death. It started with the Sophos AV module then moved onto removal of free technical support. Now to EAS for mobile device synchronization. Also, I think some people object to what they deem as "renting" of the EAS protocol for $2 per user per year. If your mail server has a small number of users it's probably not a big deal, but for larger installations it could be the straw that breaks the camels back. I think some people are wondering what will be the next feature that gets pulled out so they can charge you to get it back. Will it be a proper, full-feature web mail client?
  •  
Tjareson

I think it is worth to mention that it is effectively more than that:

1. In case one decide not to do every version upgrade, hence cancel the maintenance you will not get it for 2$ per year - you won't get EAS at all anymore.

2. Where is the discount in either server licences or maintenance, if EAS is now not a part of it anymore but extra charged, so that customers have a choice? The only choice I have is to pay more to have the same as I had before, but not to pay less for loosing something I had before.

That reminds me a lot of the discussion we had with support here, where all of a sudden Kerio tried to charge for every support case as long as the customer couldn't prove that it was a problem of the product. Only after massive protest Kerio came up with another solution.

Tjareson
  •  
tonyswu

sfpete wrote on Wed, 13 March 2013 10:49
Agree with Glenn wholeheartedly.

$2 per user per *YEAR*.

Come on now people. This is not a large expense. If it is - you likely have bigger issues brewing in properly managing your IT infrastructure.

I agree with you, but the reality for most of us is that we are not the decision maker when it comes to how money is spent. We have budget, and budget generally is whole year around. Now my budget will be this amount short, in the middle of the year, some may find that hard to deal with, especially for people like McIrish who is already having issues with upper management.

I think Kerio needs to give us more heads-up time on this sort of thing.
McIrish

It's not the $2 per user per year. It's the continuous "we changed our minds" policy that makes it look like a very unprofessional solution. Come up with a plan and stick with it. There are just too many changes that directly affect me and my users. Maybe you guys don't have to take the continuous phone calls about things that have changed not for the better. If not, you're lucky. I get constant complaints about the new web mail and then have to explain how to switch it back. Then I get flooded with calls with attachment problems. I don't mean to sound like the squeaky wheel, because in reality, I rarely am. But, Kerio needs to have a better thought out plan.
Previous Topic: Vsphere Server 5.1 and Upgrading Kerio Connect from 7.4.3 to 8.0
Next Topic: After restart all logfiles are empty.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 23:43:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.