Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mac Calendar Client Best Option - iCal, KERIO Web, Outlook 2011 Mac or Outlook 2010 PC? (OS X.6.8 environment using iCal - MANY event invite issues)
  •  
hello

Send a private message to this user
KERIO 8.0.1 on OS X server with Local accounts. iMac for employees using iCal, Apple Mail and AddressBook - OS X.6.8

Life was great until...

New assistant to president of company is tasked to create, edit and respond to events for president from delegated calendar in iCal. This was in place before new Asst. without any complaints but now....

Asst. complains daily that iCal "does not work"
-Invited contacts in event do not always show with a green "accept" check mark next to their name in the event even if they did accept (this may be true)
-Repeating events in iCal have issues showing properly and/or sending out invites when they adjust a single event in the chain (Weekly Monday meeting has one week that it is on Wednesday then continues on Monday after that - they adjust that one week in the repeating group)
-Deleting an event in iCal with invited people only gives the option of 'Delete and Notify' (I showed them how to delete and not notify in KERIO Web)
-"iCal sucks or KERIO sucks because my life was perfect using Outlook and Exchange on PC in previous job - never had any issues"

Is there a better more reliable calendar option in this case?

I'm researching:
A) using KERIO web interface instead (the new one in v8.0.1) - they HATE it.
B) Outlook 2011 Mac - is this any better than using iCal for delegated calendars?
C) VM running Outlook 2010 for Windoze with KOC - do delegated calendars work properly?
D) Office 365 or Google Apps for backend - would that improve iCal?

Any thoughts as to what you would do in this situation? HELP!!!

Thanks!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 March 2013 23:04]

•  
sfpete

MS Outlook 2011 calendaring is far superior to iCal... especially in applications like you describe.
  •  
hello

Thanks sfpete...

The only issue I have with the Outlook 2011 solution is that it does not see multiple calendars for a single user. The iCal setup they have has the main Calendar but also has an additional one called Personal (they are both under the user name in KERIO not under 'on my mac'). Outlook 2011 uses categories instead of multiple calendars.

I did notice that Outlook 2010 in Windoze does show the two calendars correctly with KOC. Interesting that the mac version does not.

...anyone else testing some other configuration I listed above and would like to chime in?

Thanks.
  •  
Gerard Kok

The problem you're describing sounds eerily familiar, we too have severe problems with iCal and Kerio. I'm afraid I don't have a solution yet, so I'm also interested in hearing other people's opinions and solutions about this. In the meantime we're reasonably sure that the problems are not caused by poor performing Kerio server hardware (so upgrading your server is probably not going to help).

For your first problem (invited contacts do not always show the green 'accept' mark), we found that it only works if the invite goes out directly to the account name of the invitee on the Kerio server. If an alias is used, then the invite shows up in the invitee's iCal, but replies won't make their way back to the inviter.
  •  
hello

To respond to my own questions:

I have since asked this individual to use ONLY the web client (they hate me now). I have created a webAPP version of the calendar (using FLUID) to be launched side by side with Apple Mail and Address Book. The use the web client for the Calendar only. My hope is that if I take iCal out of the equation there won't be any issues (I think the issues come mainly from the syncing of iCal to KERIO).

2 more questions for the masses:
-----------------------------

1) Do any of you with Windoze setups (non-Mac) using Outlook w/KOC have these issues or is it just iCal and KERIO? I have been testing a virtual PC option with Outlook 2010 in case the web client does not work.

2) What is standard procedure regarding delegated calendars to Executive Assistants for companies you support?...Do they send invites for the President AS the President or do they send the invite as themselves but include the President as an invitee? (mine is sending them out AS the president)

Thanks!
Previous Topic: footers repeated multiple times
Next Topic: Item count of User in Admin Interface wrong
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 07:26:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.