Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance of KMS (Through put of KMS)
  •  
Karthik

Send a private message to this user
Hi There,

How can we get the through put of a KMS..?
For instance, what is the maximum number of mails(Internal or External) that KMS can process at a given time when SPAM, AV scanning and archiving is enabled.

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik S.
  •  
My IT Indy

Depends on your hardware really.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Karthik

hi.. thanks for your reply.

We have KMS 8.0.0 on a VM with CentOS 6.2 having 4 CPUs and 4 GB RAM serving 300 Users.. I have this setup from over a year now, never faced any performance issues, infact the hardware resource usage never crossed 50%.

One fine day, I had a machine in network which pumped over 20K mails, at this point due to AV, SPAM and Archiving the processing was too slow which resulted in huge delay in mail delivery..

So, just was curious to know how many mails would KMS process at a time..
anyone else any thots..?

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik S.
  •  
tonyswu

In my experience, the thing that matters the most for Kerio Connect is disk speed.
  •  
Karthik

thanks for your replies..

anyone else any thoughts..?

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik S.
  •  
My IT Indy

What speed drives, raid configuration you running Kerio on?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
MarkK

Where were the 20,000 emails going to? If they were heading out of your network, part of the slow down is going to be caused by your server having to talk to 20,000 other email servers. What is the max number of delivery threads that you have setup?
  •  
MacLab

Agreed that drive speed makes all the difference. Processor speed helps but not as critical. With a smaller number of users, you can get away with standard drive config, using boot drive etc. When you get up to 200,300+ users you should put the data store of a fast RAID.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2013 11:46]

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
bandicootltd

I am currently on software raid1, quad core, 8gb windows with 290 users and disk io is becoming a major issue.

I have an option now to move and wondered whether to switch to a heart internet hybrid with hardware raid5 or raid 10.

Is there anyone else out there with more than 300 users, if so what hardware are you on?
Also, any experience of hybrid servers (cloud with dedicated disk)
  •  
Karthik

hey guys, thanks for your replies and apologies for my late reply..

I have the KMS store on DELL EqualLogic 6100x with SAS 10K RPM disks with RAID 5..
all the 20K mails were directed to my local domain, but as there was AV Scan, Anti-Spam scan and archiving the queue got piled up..

@ MarkK, can you please help me where do I get the max delivery threads..? frankly I did not check or set it earlier, so it shud be the default..

[Updated on: Tue, 02 April 2013 07:26]

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik S.
  •  
tonyswu

EqualLogic is a good unit, but I would recommend RAID10 instead of RAID5. If you can afford it, change 10K RPM to 15K RPM or even SSD if you like extreme solution Razz
  •  
MarkK

The max delivery threads is in the SMTP Server > Queue Options.

Maximum number of delivery threads:
Maximum number of delivery threads that will send messages from the queue (maximum count of messages sent at one moment). The value should be chosen with respect to processor capacity and to speed of the Internet connection.

I'm set at 32. I don't remember if that is the default or not. But again, your server being flooded with 20,000 emails will bring it to its knees. If it takes 15 seconds to process one email, that ends up being 83+ hours to process all of them one at a time. If the server does 32 at a time, that is still almost 3 hours.
  •  
tonyswu

32 is the default value. I have our server set at 128.
  •  
Karthik

thank you for your replies, guys..

MarkK, thanks for your explanation, I shall look into the delivery threads by increasing the hardware resources and the mail threads.. hope this helps me..

I got rid of all the mails in the queue by disabling the AV, Anti-Spam, Archiving.. all the 20K mails got processed within 2 mins.. Smile

@tonyswu, thanks for your suggestion.. but, I have couple of production DB servers, almost 30 VMs(XEN and VMWare), Terminal servers etc.. running on EqualLogic unit and I have never faced any performance issues with any of them, So, I haven't had a thought that the disk speed could be one of the issues. however, we made this a point and will be planning to have a RAID10 volume for KMS and other critical servers.

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik S.
  •  
MacLab

RAID 10 is absolutely the way to go even if it is a software RAID and SATA.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
Previous Topic: Outlook 2010 and shared calendars
Next Topic: Full text engine doesn't start
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 11:42:21 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00529 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.