Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Blog » Hey EAS, You're Not that Boss of Me and Neither is My Girlfriend (Blog)
  •  
Anonymous
A lot of people have said moving to protocols like CalDAV and CardDAV for syncing email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes from Kerio Connect to your mobile device is a sacrifice. Many have said Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is a superior option.
I thought the same thing until I got my first iPhone with Siri support. I noticed quickly that CalDAV and CardDAV support a few things that EAS doesn't, including calendar colors across devices, multiple alarms, and broader attributes for contacts.
Speaking of contacts, I was excited that with my new iPhone, I could give titles to a lot of my contacts. I spent the better part of an hour going through and defining the friends, family and colleagues that I call the most. The next time I told Siri to dial my girlfriend I was surprised to find that it didn't recognize her. So, I told Siri again who my girlfriend was and tried it again - still the same problem. After some searching on the internet I saw that EAS only recognizes "business" related titles, like boss, assistant, and so forth. Well, when I checked my girlfriend's information I saw that it had changed her from girlfriend to boss!
I'm sure a lot of people who know me (girlfriend included) would probably argue that that was a more apt title for her but I wanted it to be right. After switching to CardDAV syncing I tried it again and it allowed me set her up properly as my girlfriend. Although, sometimes I swear she changes it to boss just to play with my head. This is just one of the features that makes me choose to use open source standards over EAS.
-Walter Driskell
Kerio Sales Engineer
Original article available on our blog.
Previous Topic: How to Migrate from Kerio Control (Windows Edition) to the Appliance Editions
Next Topic: First Pilsen Hackathon
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 23:27:09 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00312 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.