Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Filter zip attachments (We need the ability to block zip files)
  •  
Maynick

Send a private message to this user
Hi all -

We absolutely need the ability to filter zip files in the attachment filter. I searched the forums for old posts and this has been brought up before. There are a large number of file types that we can currently filter, but I cannot understand why zip files were not included.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You can add a new filter with Add button at the Attachment filter page, eg. for *.zip into the combo box (just enter the file name).

[Updated on: Sat, 20 April 2013 20:23]

•  
Maynick

Thanks Pavel!

I had looked at this feature before, but I didn't realize that I could free text. I thought that I had to choose from the dropdown list. Everybody is happy, happy, happy now.

Probably doesn't get mentioned enough but Great Product you guys put out.
  •  
AMG-Admin

There is an alternative to completely blocking zip files.

I know a lot of the spam/virus delivery kiddies have started using zip files, and I wanted to block them too, but my company relies on the use of zip files quite often.

So I created to file rules. The order of the rules is important. First, I created a rule that allows for the sending of zip files that have a specific naming convention. For this I chose company_filename.zip. In place of company you put the company name or whatever you want, really, followed by an underscore, then the file name and finally the extension. So for this example, if the company is ABC company and I want to send a zip file (either inbound OR outbound) the file would look like this. abc_pictures.zip WHen the server sees that filename convention, it allows it. the rule would look like this: abc_*.zip and be set to allow.
Now the NEXT rule would block all other zip files and the rule would look like this: *.zip and be set to block.

Now ONLY zip files that are abc_anyname.zip would come through. you simply tell your users and anyone wanting to send in zip files how to name them.
  •  
Lionel Hutts

Is there no other option to block all zip archives with executable files? Or alternatively forward them to a certain mailaccount? I know this option from AMaViS.

We cannot teach all of our customers to meet a specific naming convention.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2013 11:30]

•  
ralf.huwald

The filtering of zip-files is one of my most wanted features for Kerio Connect. It would be very nice and usefull, if i could enable/block zip-files per user / user-group. It should be possible to create user-groups like creating ip-adress-groups.

Most incoming zip-files are viruses, jokes, spam, etc. Unfortunately we need zo receive / send zip-files in some cases.

Greetings, Ralf
Previous Topic: SpamAssassin
Next Topic: 8.0.2 setup for testing
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 03:44:54 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00428 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.