Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Voicemail not working for internal calls
  •  
kerver

Send a private message to this user
I have several users that are not receiving voicemails for calls made to their extension internally. When another user dials the extension and leaves a voicemail, the message light never comes on and an email is not delivered. When an external caller leaves a voicemail, light comes on, email is delivered, and all is good. This is a new problem that may be related to the recent upgrade from 2.1 to 2.1.1. Additionally, it appears that it's only a problem with the SNOM 870 phones. My 870s are running 8.4.35 firmware.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi

I don't recall any changes to the voicemail subsystem between Operator 2.1.0 and 2.1.1. In order to tell you more, I would need the following.

1. Enable debug logs: Asterisk log, Asterisk log(detailed), SIP, Kerio Connect integration, System Daemons.
2. Reproduce the issue (leave a voicemail from the house).
3. Make a call from the outside to demonstrate that it works.
4. Email the debug log together with a Support Info file to fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com. The support info file can be downloaded at the bottom of the System Health screen.

Please note that it might take up to a minute for the MWI light to come up.

Thank you,
Filip
  •  
fishtech

Hi,

Same problem here. I cannot say for sure if it happened after 2.1.1 update.

I have only tested on Snom 870.

My Snom 870 phones are mostly running firmware 8.7.3.7.

It seems that internal voicemail does not get recorded or emailed, and no notification is given to the recipient other than 'missed call'..

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi fishtech,

Am I correct if I say, that it happens only when calling from a snom 870 to a local extension and the voicemail answers the call.

Can you please also confirm that when leaving the voicemail you're not silent, but you're saying something. Asterisk might discard silent/empty voicemails.

We are having some difficulties trying to reproduce it, unfortunately we don't have a 870 in the house.

So, can please I also ask you to:
1. turn on debug log (Asterisk log, Asterisk log(detailed), SIP, Kerio Connect integration, System Daemon)
2. make a packet dump
3. reproduce the call
4. generate a support info

Email everything to fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com.

Thank you very much,
Filip
  •  
silars

I've attempted to duplicate with my Polycoms, but I can't make it happen using them. My Snom m9r doesn't appear to be having the problem either.
  •  
fishtech

Hi,

Sorry for delay - I was out of the office at the end of last week.

Quote:
Am I correct if I say, that it happens only when calling from a snom 870 to a local extension and the voicemail answers the call.

Correct.

Quote:
Can you please also confirm that when leaving the voicemail you're not silent, but you're saying something.

Correct, yes, I am talking and leaving a message.

But I just tested to another extension and it worked. So my test so far... 2 extensions did not work correctly, 1 extn did work correctly. I don't have a lot of time right now to troubleshoot further.

Quote:
Email everything to fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com.

Will do,

ft.

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi

a Snom 870 has finally arrived and I have spent the whole day trying to reproduce the issue. I can confirm that occasionally a voicemail left by a user of the snom 870 is lost, but I have not found out why. It happens randomly and it is not related to voicemail integration, fax detection, nor call recording.

After downgrading the snom to 8.4.35, it stopped happening and voicemail worked well. However, it is possible that it was just a coincidence. I was able to leave around 20 voicemails without any problems. I also tried upgrading to the beta version 8.7.4.7, but it looked the same as with the stable 8.7.3.19. Unfortunately now, after an hour, I can't reproduce it at all. Dead end.

Due to the fact that it happens only with this snom model, I believe it is not an Operator problem. In order to investigate the situation more thoroughly, I would need to know the exact steps of how to reproduce it with a 100% success rate.

Regarding Operator/Asterisk, there is a piece of code that detects how long the recording was. In case it is shorter than 1 second, the message is discarded. We could disable this feature, and have the voicemail get saved/delivered. However, I was not able to verify that the voice message will contain any valid audio data.

To sum up, please try to downgrade the snom phone or query me for a fix to disable the minimum message length constraint.

Best,
Filip
  •  
fishtech

Thanks for testing this.
ft.
  •  
kerver

Filip, you'll notice in my original post that I am already on firmware 8.4.35. I've tried upgrading and downgrading, but it makes no difference. I'm assuming all your testing was on the most current version of Operator. This never used to be a problem, and I'm fairly certain it can be attributed to either the 2.1 or 2.1.1 upgrade. I've tried to downgrade to 2.0 to see if the problem goes away, but 2.0 will not allow me to recover from a 2.1.1 backup. As we talked about before, it seems to have some sort of link to fax detection. Unplugging the phone and disabling fax detection will solve the problem, but unplugging phone alone does not resolve the issue. We can try disabling the minimum message length if that's the next step. Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:21]

•  
kerver

Filip, I've installed the fix you sent over to disable the minimum message length. The good news is that the message light now comes on and I receive an email with the audio file attachment. The bad news is that the audio file is only 44 bytes in size, and no recorded message is included. I've tested this multiple times while recording different message lengths, but regardless of how long I record a message, the audio file is empty.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:11]

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

That is exactly what I was afraid of.

My current suspicion is that it is caused by the caller's phone. I've noticed that snom phones seem to be somehow broken. They tend to send a few DTMF tones in the beginning of the RTP stream. When dialing for example "50", I've often seen the last digit ("0" in this case) in the audio RTP stream. It shouldn't be there and it is possible that asterisk doesn't record the whole audio stream due to it. Strangely, event the redial button produced the same thing.

Do you have some phone of a different brand? If you don't, a softphone will do just fine. Can you try to leave a message via it? I bet it will work like charm.

Filip
  •  
kerver

I ran with your suspicions that it was the caller's phone causing the problem. I did two things this morning, first I updated Operator to 2.1.2, and secondly I updated the Snom firmware to 8.7.3.19 on both the caller's phone and the receiving phone. Initial testing has been successful. The problem appears to be resolved. I originally couldn't implement 8.7.3.19 because of the dial plan bug. But since that was fixed in 2.1.2, I did the firmware upgrade for everybody. For the moment, no problems and I'm a happy camper. Thank You!
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

No need to thank us, we didn't do anything. I hope it will work for you from now on. If you encounter any further issues, please let us know.

Filip
Previous Topic: iPhone / IMAP email notification, badges, etc
Next Topic: KB articles for WellTech 2504 and Grandstream GXW4224
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 05:05:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00694 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.