Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » zimbra desktop client and kerio?
  •  
tiberius

Send a private message to this user
hi,

Are there experiences with this - would you guys recommend it?
I don not want to use outlook, thunderbird is dead....zimbra client seems to be a fancy client?
  •  
Roman-CSM

hi there, that's a good question!

I will try it and going to write here about my experience.

There should really be an alternative to Outlook and Mac Mail, On Windows Outlook works fine but on Mac Outlook kinda sucks since the database gets often corrupt and the Mac Mail is for many users not an alternative since it uses different programms for all the tasks, calender, tasks etc.

Are there other alternatives on the market?

(In my personal experience the webclient (the old one) works just fine and I would recommend everyone to work with this but many customers want a desktop application, who knows why!!!?)

CS&M – we have about 25 happy customers with Kerio Connect, and like to keep it that way Smile
  •  
Roman-CSM

I tried now Exchange and IMAP with Zimbra (kerio connect 8.1)

The folders appear but without content, the only content visible is in the inbox and far away from fast synchronising. The Synchronising icon never stopped to spinn, I was waiting now two hours to sync properly, tried different settings and restarted the thing a few times.
SMTP didn't work to set up with ssl only port 25.

Right now it seems not easy or lets say out of the box working with kerio connect, since my test didn't went for long don't take this post as serious, but still I think right now it's not working with Zimbra.

CS&M – we have about 25 happy customers with Kerio Connect, and like to keep it that way Smile
  •  
Charles B

No, I would not recommend it.

I experimented with using Zimbra Desktop Client (ZDS) as a front end for Kerio connect when we switched to Kerio mail server (from Zimbra). As far as I know, we only have 2 users in the company who still use it, down from the 30 or so who had been using it, and one of those just keeps it around as a local off-grid email archive solution.

As an IMAP client, I would say it is adequate, but not much more than that. Nearly all the cool ZDS features only work if you have a Zimbra mail server for your back end. I never got satisfying functionality out of the calendar, task list, or any of the groupware features really when connected to Kerio Connect. They all worked splendidly when we were running a Zimbra mail server BTW.

As for alternatives, Outlook (w/ the kerio connector) has been the best--and by far the most expensive--option for us. Since you don't like that, I suggest taking another look at Thunderbird. Contrary to your belief, the Thunderbird project is far from dead. Combined with the Lightning add-on for calendaring, it provides pretty good functionality. It is a pain to set all the calendaring and multiple accounts up, but once you get it configured everything seems to work fairly well. I say 'seems' because most of my users are now on outlook, and the rest are using either the web client or their IOS/Android devices w/ activesync. There are only a couple of hold-outs (I'm one) still using Thunderbird so I don't have much current feedback from the average users.

I also concur with Roman-CSM, the web client is perfectly serviceable (old one for more savvy users. The new web client... has issues, but will work for basic email and calendar users).

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
tiberius

Hi,

What a great review about that.

Cheers!
  •  
tiberius

[quote but many customers want a desktop application, who knows why!!!?)[/quote]

yes - indeed!
  •  
chewett

Charles B -

May I ask why you switched from Zimbra to Kerio ? We have been somewhat frustrated with Kerio's calendaring for sometime now and were wondering if maybe Zimbra was a better option.

Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2013 22:50]

•  
Umatters

Great thread, and Charles B's post was super! As it's now nearly two years later: does this recommendation still stand?

We are on Mac OS X Server + Macbooks, using Outlook 2011 for Mac with Kerio. It's been ok, but not flawless. Especially now that the server has been upgraded to Yosemite. A bunch of my staff "need" a desktop client, even though most concur that Kerio Connect webmail works just fine.

I know the word on the street is there is supposed to be an Office 2016 released sometime (soon??) but I would love another desktop option to consider.
  •  
Charles B

Umatters wrote on Tue, 17 March 2015 13:20
Great thread, and Charles B's post was super! As it's now nearly two years later: does this recommendation still stand?

I don't know how Thunderbird works anymore.

We've converted completely to Outlook 2010 or webmail (plus whatever the phone users want to run for a client). Kerio's Outlook connector has improved quite a bit since this thread got started, and we almost never have problems with it now. While we still have performance issues, we have those with Webmail and Activesync too. Outlook itself (with the Kerio connector) has been a good client for the past couple years.

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
Umatters

Ok, thank you so much for responding!
Perhaps our current troubles are Yosemite vs Mavericks stuff.
Much appreciated!
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

@Umatters, what exactly are your "current troubles"? As I understand, your desktops are Mac based, is that right? If so, you can also use the native apps (mail, calendar, contacts, reminders) as another alternative to Outlook.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Umatters

We're having a number of issues with outlook since upgrading the server. It's a bit much to get into (I've got IT consultants working on it). I was just doing research for alternates because I'm ready to give up on Outlook, but also don't want to use native apps.
Previous Topic: iOS Profile Deletes User Data by Default
Next Topic: URI
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Feb 21 22:03:28 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04251 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.