Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio - OpenNMS Notifications via XMPP
  •  
Wispzor

Send a private message to this user
Hey,

I have been happily working away using Kerio and everything has been working great, I am considering buying it and dumping exchange.
I have our IT team using the IM feature of 8.1 with Pidgin and all that works fine.

Before I run off and purchase Kerio there is one thing I would like to get working.
I want our OpenNMS (network monitoring software) to give notifications via Kerio IM.

I have been working on this for the last week with no success. Works perfectly with Pidgin, doesn't work with OpenNMS.

Both Kerio and OpenNMS run on 64Bit Debian Servers within the same domain, authentication is done via Windows Server 2012 AD and Kerio has the AD connector.

Error message from OpenNMS (/var/log/opennms/daemon/notifd.log):

2013-05-13 14:57:50,580 FATAL [Thread-307] XMPPNotificationManager: XMPP Manager unable to connect
Connection failed. No response from server.:
at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.startup(PacketReader.jav a:164)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.initConnection(XMPPCon nection.java:875)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfigurat ion(XMPPConnection.java:834)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection .java:1276)
at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.XMPPNotificationManager.connectToS erver(XMPPNotificationManager.java:195)
at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.XMPPNotificationManager.sendMessag e(XMPPNotificationManager.java:282)
at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.XMPPNotificationStrategy.send(XMPP NotificationStrategy.java:117)
at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.ClassExecutor.execute(ClassExecuto r.java:63)
at org.opennms.netmgt.notifd.NotificationTask.run(NotificationT ask.java:261)
2013-05-13 14:57:50,580 ERROR [Thread-307] XMPPNotificationStrategy: Not connected to server.

Settings on OpenNMS (/etc/opennms/xmpp-configuration.properties):
xmpp.server =kerio.bmsjv.com.au
xmpp.servicename =_xmpp-client
xmpp.port =5223
xmpp.TLSEnabled =true
xmpp.SASLEnabled =true
xmpp.selfSignedCertificateEnabled =true
as well as a valid username and password of a user called opennms.

DNS is setup on the Windows Server 2012 with the correct SRV Records.
You can telnet to the port from the OpenNMS server.

Kerio is setup with a self signed certificate *.bmsjv.com.au

Kerio check service availability succeeds on everything except xmpp ping.

I have tried every combination of settings possible to attempt to make this work.

The only time I get a hint that it's trying to work is when I disable TLS on OpenNMS at which point it tells me that the xmpp server(Kerio) requires TLS.

Completely out of ideas.

Does anyone know what my problem might be?

Thank you for any assistance.
  •  
Tomas Skoda (Kerio)

Quote:

Settings on OpenNMS (/etc/opennms/xmpp-configuration.properties):

First of all I would start with setting correct port and security layer. Connect either to port 5222 using TLS or to port 5223 not using TLS but SSL. You can find details here: http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/instant-messaging/ configuring-clients-for-instant-messaging-1411.html . Does it make any difference?

You can also completely avoid security (of course only for testing purposes) and connect to port 5222 without TLS or SSL. However unsecured connections must be allowed in Kerio Connect web administration on page Advanced Options -> Security Policy.

Quote:

Kerio check service availability succeeds on everything except xmpp ping.

XMPP Ping checks whether your server is accessible by other XMPP servers. It is useful only if you plan to allow users to exchange messages with users from different domains and does not affect client to server connections. To get it work you need to set few DNS records. Check this article for details: http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/instant-messaging/ configuring-dns-for-instant-messaging-1398.html

Cheers,
Tomas Skoda
  •  
Wispzor

Thank you for the reply, I have scoured through every piece of documentation I can find and have tried every combination of settings, the official Kerio docos were the first things I tried.

Unfortunately it makes no difference, security or not I get the exact same errors, I have made the change you have suggested and it still cannot connect.

I also already have all of the DNS records in the doco on my Windows 2012 Server.

Running dig on the OpenNMS server shows the following:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> <_at_>bmsjv.com.au SRV _xmpp-client._tcp.bmsjv.com.au
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5524
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_xmpp-client._tcp.bmsjv.com.au. IN SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_xmpp-client._tcp.bmsjv.com.au. 3600 IN SRV 0 0 5222 kerio.bmsjv.com.au.
_xmpp-client._tcp.bmsjv.com.au. 3600 IN SRV 0 0 5223 kerio.bmsjv.com.au.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
kerio.bmsjv.com.au. 3600 IN A 192.168.52.14
kerio.bmsjv.com.au. 3600 IN A 192.168.52.14

;; Query time: 11 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.52.12#53(192.168.52.12)
;; WHEN: Wed May 15 08:28:10 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 156

Thank you.
  •  
Tomas Skoda (Kerio)

Just to make it clear - did you successfully connect to Kerio Connect server with e.g. Pidgin from the OpenNMS machine and with the OpenNMS credentials? If yes, I would suggest to:

1. apply this openNMS configuration
xmpp.server=kerio.bmsjv.com.au #address of Kerio Connect server
xmpp.port =5222 #use 5222 with TLS not SSL
xmpp.TLSEnabled=true
xmpp.SASLEnabled=true
xmpp.selfSignedCertificateEnabled=true
xmpp.servicename=bmsjv.com.au #name of domain you are connecting to
xmpp.debuggerEnabled=true
xmpp.user = <username without domain part>
xmpp.pass = <password>

2. let openNMS to connect to IM service
3. send me logs
- xmpp logs produced by openNMS
- Kerio Connect server logs
- files from [store]/xmpp/logs folder
  •  
Wispzor

Hi Tomas,

Changing the servicename to the domain has worked!

I can now see it as connected.
The parameters you gave are spot on.

Messages are now coming through.

Thank you for your help.
Previous Topic: KOFF 64 bit
Next Topic: Security Breaches
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 24 10:26:04 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.