Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Deleted Mails reappearing
  •  
hpralow

Send a private message to this user
Although this problem seems to resemble the one in http://forums.kerio.com/t/23354//
I start a new topic on it.

We are running Kerio Connect 7.4.3 build 7813 on Mac OS X Server 10.7 and somehow the deletion of mails on the server does not seem to work as expected.
I have skimmed through the release notes of the newer versions to see if the problem has been addressed but didn't find a hint. Due to the problems reported with version 8.1 I'm currently not willing to upgrade to the latest version unless I can be real sure my problems have been fixed.

So here are my observations:

1. My CEO reported a few times that mails he had removed from the server randomly reappear in his mail account on the server. He is using a POP3 mail-account and has explicitly chosen to remove messages from the server just to have control where his confidential mails are stored. So finding mails reappear on the server long time after he has read and removed them gave me a hard time in convincing him the server wouldn't leak his mails or whatever bad things he could imagine to happen with his mails.

2. Yesterday my own IMAP mail account was somewhat stalled and all attempts to fetch new mail failed with a timeout error. (This happened with Apple Mail which is my primary Mail Client, Firebird as well as Kerio Webmail). So I issued a re-indexing operation from within the admin Web-app. That operation reported
"[13/May/2013 17:52:02] Properties database verification has failed (error message: Verification has timed out). Damaged file: /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store/mail/pepperzak.com/horst.p ralow/Deleted Messages/properties.fld was renamed to /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store/mail/pepperzak.com/horst.p ralow/Deleted Messages/properties.fld.bad."
Now my trashcan in Apple Mail contains 53276 items (Webmail shows 2670 pages for "Deleted Messages") many of them are multilpe duplicates of the same item and my disk-quota on the server as increased to about 7.5 GB (from less than half of that).
Appearently every single deleted mail (including spam and junk) that ever hit my mail-account is back.
I regularly do a "Erase deleted messages" and after that, that trash appears to be empty so one would assume, the mails really have been deleted on the server, right? But obviuosly this is not the case.

So how can one reliably delete mail on the server? Not only to actually recover disk space but also to be sure that deleted items are really gone and not recoverable by a (potentially unautorized) user or admin?

The behaviour encountered with Kerio is absolutely unacceptable and may
be reason to switch to another vendor's product if it can't be fixed.

FYI: "Items clean-out" and "Deleted items recovery" are switched OFF on the server!
  •  
My IT Indy

What version of the OS X are you running on your clients?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
hpralow

Various, from 10.6 to 10.8
  •  
My IT Indy

I've seen this on 10.6 clients, does it happen on 10.7/10.8 clients as well?

The client we saw this on with 10.6 had it disappear with a 10.8 upgrade.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
hpralow

HoosierMac wrote on Tue, 14 May 2013 13:33
I've seen this on 10.6 clients, does it happen on 10.7/10.8 clients as well?

The client we saw this on with 10.6 had it disappear with a 10.8 upgrade.

How would that be?
As described above, mails on the Server which are supposed to be deleted reappear inside clients mailboxes
in a random manner. However once a mail has reappeared it doesn't vanish again if you change mail-clients!
A single difference may worthwhile to mention is:
With a AppleMail Version 5.3 (1283) (in OS X 10.7) my Trash seems to hold about 3900 unique items whereas the same trash folder viewed with AppleMail 4.6 (1085) (thats from OS X 10.6) shows the same items but many of them in multiple copies thus summing up to a grand total of about 36000 items. The same goes for Kerio Webmail.
So even if there are some differences depending on client version, the problem is IMHO server releated because it is there, where deleted items reappear like (black) magic.
Previous Topic: Inbox emptied by Outlook
Next Topic: Blackberry Connector issues (Last version 8.0.2)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 01:47:24 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.