Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect Mail Server Setup (Understanding how to use Kerio connect as a mail server.)
  •  
Joe.Hillyard

Send a private message to this user
I have started a Kerio connect trial as from what I have read, im pretty sure Kerio is what i am looking for.

I currently have a domain registered which i use for company emails, can i use Kerio connect on a server running SBS 2011 essentials as a mail server, which integrates with active directory so that when a user logs in on a client PC they can access their mail, either with Kerio client or outlook.

If this is possible does anyone have links to places to help me set this up or is willing to PM and help me, that would be great! I apologize for the basic question, but my networking skills are relatively limited, but teaching myself at the moment.

I just need to know how to send mail from the current server to kerio's mail server. Any help? Sad

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Joe

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2013 17:16]

•  
Michael Ruffin

Hi Joe,

You can use Kerio Connect on a SBS 2011 Essentials server (a lot of our clients do).

Simply install Kerio Connect, and the Active Directory Extension.

Then you need to configure your mail domain in Kerio Connect, and link it to Active Directory
(under the Domain you will find a tab called "Directory Services". Fill this in with admin account details and the domain name in the Active Directory Domain name field at the bottom).

Then when you wish to create users (or create mailboxes for existing users). Go to Active Directory Users and Computers and either create a new user (and you'll be given an option to create a Kerio mailbox in the process), or right click on an existing user and select the Kerio option to create a mailbox for that user.

If Kerio Connect and AD are talking nicely to each other, you will see the user pop up in your Kerio Connect Admin Page.

•  
Joe.Hillyard

I see, thank you for the informative reply! How do i configure my email domain to send it to kerio server client? Do i add an MX entry for the domain? Again, sorry for the basic questions.

Thanks
  •  
Michael Ruffin

Hi Joe, Yes you'll need to create an MX record for the domain you're wanting to receive email (and an A record if you haven't already done so).

For example:
Create an A record for mail.mydomain.com that points to your IP address
Create an MX record for mydomain.com that points to mail.mydomain.com
  •  
Joe.Hillyard

"Create an A record for mail.mydomain.com that points to your IP address"

To the IP address of the server running Kerio?
  •  
Michael Ruffin

Yes to the IP address of the server running Kerio Connect (the public IP address that is, if you don't know what it is, you can find out by opening a web browser on the PC with Kerio Connect and going to www.whatismyip.com).

Not sure how much else you know about mail servers (so I apologize in advance if you already know this), but you'll also need to forward port 25 on your router to the internal IP address of your mail server, for example if the internal IP address of your Kerio Connect server is say, 192.168.0.10, then you will need to login to your router to create a port forward for port 25 to 192.168.0.10. (There are other ports required for client access outside your network, but port 25 is at the very least required to receive email).
  •  
Joe.Hillyard

So far, i have an MX record for doman.com:

Priority = 0
Destiantion = mail.domain.com

And a C NAME record:

mail.domain.com.

IN

CNAME

domain.dyndns.org

(domain.dyndns.org points directly to server)

Can anyone confirm these are the right settings? I have also have port forwarding enabled to the server for ports 80, 443 and 25.

The domain i registered in Kerio is domain.com, should it be mail.domain.com?

Any help would be really great!

Thanks
  •  
Michael Ruffin

Your domain is domain.com (for example your email addresses are joe<_at_>domain.com).

mail.domain.com is the DNS name of your mail server.

To test if it all works, get ahold of a PC outside your network, and try telneting to the SMTP port of the Kerio server (eg. telnet mail.domain.com 25)

If you receive a response from Kerio Connect, then it works (or at least the SMTP server is contactable from the outside world).
  •  
Joe.Hillyard

Tried telnet to server. On server ip with port 25.

I got 421 error back, is this the router blocking it?

Thanks
  •  
Joe.Hillyard

I am assuming this is ISP Port Filtering. But i cannot access web-mail from inside the network on the client PCs. Does this mean something else is wrong too?
  •  
Michael Ruffin

Joe.Hillyard wrote on Wed, 22 May 2013 00:24
Tried telnet to server. On server ip with port 25.

I got 421 error back, is this the router blocking it?

Thanks

Error 421 on an SMTP server is too many concurrent sessions, which honestly doesn't really make sense. On the Kerio Connect admin page, do you see any connections on the Active Connections page?
  •  
Michael Ruffin

Joe.Hillyard wrote on Wed, 22 May 2013 00:35
I am assuming this is ISP Port Filtering. But i cannot access web-mail from inside the network on the client PCs. Does this mean something else is wrong too?

On SBS 2011 you'll have Remote Desktop Gateway and World Wide Web Services running. These stop Kerio Connect from accessing port 80 (check the services tab in Kerio Connect web admin).

If you don't use either of these, you can simply disable the services in Windows Control Panel, and then start the service in Kerio Connect. Otherwise you'll need to change the port number in Kerio Connect (to say 81) and then use http://mail.mydomain.com:81 to access webmail.
Previous Topic: Change first day of week in Connect Client
Next Topic: Multiple mail accounts. Imap + Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 14:44:08 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.