Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Issue since upgrading to Kerio Connect 8.1 (Runaway Process)
  •  
TheMilkMen

Send a private message to this user
Since upgrading to 8.1 the following process is almost killing my server.

javaservices/jre/bin/java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx128m -XX:ErrorFile=core-xmppserver.dmp -jar javaservices/xmppserver/service-im.jar service.dir=javaservices/xmppserver data.dir="/opt/kerio/mailserver/store/xmpp" log.debug=0 service.im.timeout=180 service.im.remote.domain=kerio-connect.private service.im.remote.login=engine-im service.im.remote.port=4042

I have disabled the xmpp service and it has no effect. For the time being I manually kill the process after I reboot the server.

Can anyone shed any light on what's going on.

Thanks

James

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Does your server hardware meet minimum system requirements? How many users/domains do you have?
  •  
TheMilkMen

The server has 4GB RAM, and dual quad core processors. There are 20 active users

Interestingly when I kill the java process it's only using 3% CPU time, and 20% of the RAM. I've seen no bad side effects from killing the process manually

Thanks

James
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Can you explain what "almost killing" means?
  •  
TheMilkMen

When the java xmpp process is running I get an alert from plesk to say the number of running processes is at a critical level (between 460 amd 500) and when I stop the process it drops back to between 90 and 100.

During the time when the processes are going critical I experience slow mail delivery, and slow response times from webmail
  •  
arska

This is not official way, but works for me.

Before following steps, disable IM services from admin panel.
(that does not disable it in all levels, those java processes keep eating machine without following steps)

I found a way to disable those java processes permanently(when IM is not needed).
1) Stop mailserver
2) copy mailserver.cfg to mailserver.cfg.spare
3) Edit mailserver.cfg and locate section "InstantMessaging". Set variable Enabled to 0.
4) Start server again

No more large amount of java processes that are not needed.
I was happy user of Kerio Connect, because they did not mess things with java before...until now...
We have seen enough java in server side.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2013 16:00]

•  
nhoague

Hello, yes I had this same problem, however even disabling IM didn't solve my problem. I have a server with 16GB RAM, 16CPU(s), (Virtual 4 sockets, 4 cores) running in a SAN. 450 users, 45 domains, and it literally brought it to its knees. WIth 8.1.0 I can run all day at approx 2-4 (linux load), after 8.1.1, the mailserver cpu process was upwards of 400-500%, sometimes hitting 800% and linux load was at 50!

I downgraded and the problem is gone, albeit IM is still disabled since we are not going to offer that as a service to our customers.

I did send in a forced core dump and send this to the developers. Hope they find the bug! I think it is definitely a regression bug. Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2013 15:19]

•  
blswjames

Yep, we also are having this same issue. The server is an IBM x3550 configured well above the specified requirements. Plus, we only have 40 users. We would really like to be able to use the XMPP feature, but not at the sake of reliable email service.

I followed arska's tip and disabled it in the cfg file. I have not had it crash since, whereas before it would lock up once or twice per day since upgrading to 8.2.

Hopefully Kerio will fix this soon?

(Edited to include findings.)

[Updated on: Wed, 23 October 2013 22:55]

Previous Topic: Kerio Connect DB Size
Next Topic: Backup, forwarding-only server license
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 17:00:55 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.