Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Bandwidth limiting with 2 parameters issue (Bandwidth limiting for specified user and another specified parameter)
  •  
AndrisGazda

Send a private message to this user
Hello

I met the following situation, the need to limit one type of traffic ONLY for specified user, for example multimedia (streaming, youtube&Co) only for one user or for a group of users.

If I specify two parameters in bandwidth controlling section, the action of the new created rule is in OR logic (if one of the 2 specified parameters is true), not in AND logic (both of specified parameters are expected true for rule action), so the result will be or the specified traffic type limitated for all users, or global traffic limiting for the specified user, but none of them is good in my case when I would like to limit a specified type of traffic for a specified user.

Thanks in advance for help !
  •  
silars

Define a traffic rule, then use that in Bandwidth Management. The traffic rule should allow you to specify the parameters you want.
  •  
AndrisGazda

Please reread my problem, for limiting multimedia traffic or other traffic type for certain user cannot be used the proposed solution.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 May 2013 21:18]

•  
silars

Please give an example of what you define as a user and the particular multimedia traffic. I'll see if a traffic rule can be defined.
  •  
AndrisGazda

User=Named user in Kerio or host or IP group
Multimedia traffic for example is youtube stream or stream generated by any video sharing site like Youtube, daylimotion, etc.
There is an option in bandwidth management at traffic type called "multimedia".

Or if I would like to limit for certain user the P2P traffic, this is similar case to the multimedia traffic limiting.

Don't know why wasn't added the AND or OR option between the parameters in bandwidth limiting section for rules...

[Updated on: Sun, 19 May 2013 22:42]

•  
silars

Go to the "Traffic Rules" tab, not "Bandwidth Management". Create a new rule:

Source: Selected User
Destination: www.youtube.com
Service: Any
Action: Allow

Uncheck. Save.

Go to "Bandwidth Management". Create a new rule. For "Traffic", choose "Add"->"Packets matching a Traffic rule...". Choose the rule created above. Apply limits.

The complicated part is creating the Traffic Rule properly. You may need to create multiple rules, but this process does allow you more flexibility in defining your Bandwidth Management rules.
  •  
AndrisGazda

Thanks, I will test it. It will work with unchecked rule in Traffic section ?
This can be used also for traffic limitation on any port what is specified in the unchecked rule ?
  •  
silars

I have not explored all options, but I have been able to select an unchecked rule.

As far as I understand, as long as the rule matches the traffic, the bandwidth management works. I don't do a lot of this, but I haven't found an exception yet.

Let us know what you find. Everyone's situation is always a little bit different than another.
  •  
AndrisGazda

Back from testing. As I supposed, until the rule where is happens the matching is unchecked/disabled, is no bandwidth limiting for that rule.
For multimedia traffic i could solve the problem with an active http policy rule based on mime-type, i specified only at mime type video/* and in bandwidth management i created a rule for "connections matching an http rule". At http policy rules i specified only the action, user and mime type in the new created rule.
  •  
silars

Clever usage. So, it sounds like you found a way to make it work the way you wanted?
  •  
AndrisGazda

Let we say, only partially.
Previous Topic: vmware connection blocked by Kerio Control
Next Topic: Wrong Time in the Warning - Protokoll
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 18:41:01 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.