Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2013 Searching / Indexing (Is Outlook 2013 indexed searching supported?)
  •  
llpla

Send a private message to this user
We've installed Outlook 2013 on several computers for testing and have found that indexed searches with KOFF simply do not work. Are we still supposed to exclude Outlook from Windows Search when using the Offline Connector? We've tried poking around various configurations and indexing simply doesn't work - searches take several seconds if not minutes and Outlook becomes unresponsive and unusable during searches.

It isn't clear if Outlook 2013 is supported at all; can't find it in the release notes or any documentation. The only article of note is the one that shows you how to hack it out so that click-to-run versions work with KOFF.

We have not installed the latest 8.1 update, but are planning to do so this week just to see if this has been fixed. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  •  
Mark Price (Kerio)

Hi there

I'm sorry to say that we still do not support Windows search at this time. you can use the 'suggest idea' feature in the Kerio web admin and add to the suggestion we do have for this.

Outlook 2013 is supported from 8.x of Connect!

I hope this helps.

Mark Price
Kerio technical support.

Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
t0mmyr

I would suggest dumping kerio connect and switching to microsoft exchange for email if search cannot work immediately for users.
  •  
llpla

We're OK with not using Windows Search; in the past when I have spoken with support (back when it was free) they have always encouraged us to disable Windows Search because Kerio employed its own built-in indexing that was just as fast.

If Outlook 2013 is supported from 8.x onward, then searches should be indexed, yes? In Outlook 2007, Kerio's built-in indexing works fine. Is it supported in 2013? Is it supported in 2010?
  •  
llpla

We're OK with not using Windows Search; in the past when I have spoken with support (back when it was free) they have always encouraged us to disable Windows Search because Kerio employed its own built-in indexing that was just as fast.

If Outlook 2013 is supported from 8.x onward, then searches should be indexed, yes? In Outlook 2007, Kerio's built-in indexing works fine. Is it supported in 2013? Is it supported in 2010?
  •  
Mark Price (Kerio)

Hello again

If you are using our full text search, then this is supported in all supported Outlook versions, including 2013.

I hope this helps.

Mark Price
Kerio technical support.

Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
llpla

That is good to hear! So then it sounds like we have a genuine problem in our situation. Again, searches in Outlook 2013 are not instant - they take several seconds if not minutes and Outlook becomes unresponsive during this time. This is happening on multiple computers running Outlook 2013. Any suggestions, Mark?
  •  
llpla

We tried a few more things today - firstly, I switched into 'Working Offline', which did not seem to improve performance much if at all. However, I did find something very interesting - searches returned results at a very acceptable level when performed on ANY OTHER FOLDER except the Inbox. Even Sent Items, with about 3700 items, returned results within two seconds vs the Inbox which has about the same number of items but usually takes 10 seconds or more.

I have other folders with much larger amounts of items - 6000+, that perform well. This problem appears to be isolated to the Inbox. Also worth noting, a single core of the CPU maxes out during these searches. You would think the Offline Connector would utilize multiple cores, but that's a whole other thread altogether (pun intended).
  •  
rockymtndata

Did you ever find a solution. We found that an INBOX with nested folders was the real problem. I have not sat and tested performance for the new 8.1 connector since its 64 bit (I think). Has that been better for you?
  •  
desven

The extremely slow search performance is one of our customers and of our biggest complaints about Kerio in combination with Outlook.
Since we began using Kerio 6 years ago, we were really excited about this product. But the past year we startet to think about it more and more when we were planning to install it for a new customer. You can't recommend a product as Exchange alternative, that performs so badly in terms of searching. This is IMHO a key feature of every email system and even the most recent version of Connect did not really make the search times acceptable. Confused

Just my 2 cents as a Kerio reseller.
Previous Topic: Inconsistent no. of contacts outlook 2003
Next Topic: Ical starting to not update delegates fully (exclamation marks appearing)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 10:45:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00491 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.