Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration from Exchange 2003
  •  
JohnD

Send a private message to this user
I'm migrating us from Exchange 2003 to Kerio this weekend. I have two questions that I haven't been able to find the answers for.

1) On the migration tool, it states that it processes about 1 gb per hour. I also see that it runs 6 (I believe) threads at once. So is the 1 gb per hour estimate for each thread or a total of what all the threads combined can do in 1 hour? My post office is fairly small at 50 users and around 18 gb.

2) I'm going create each email user one at a time using the Kerio AD tools(long story, but our user names aren't the same as our addresses and I want to have the login match and use the AD password). Because all the email users and all their addresses will exist, once I start the migration tool, can I go ahead and change my firewall rules to allow Kerio to begin accepting new emails? I didn't know if Kerio receiving emails while the migration tool is running would cause any issues.

Thanks in advance to all!
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

ad 1) This is rough estimation only and gives the total amount of data migrated (by all threads together)
ad 2) New messages can be delivered during migration without any problems. Migration tool never deletes any folders or messages.

Best regards
Pavel

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
  •  
Bud Durland

I hate to raise the dead on this thread, but I have some related questions.

We are migrating about 110 mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Kerio. Approximately 160GB of data, and the migration is over a WAN, which of creates a time constraint.

1) Can users connect to their new Kerio account while the account is being migrated? Will they simply see the messages "back fill" as the migration progresses?

If the answer to (1) is yes, can I make the KC account ahead of time so that I know the password? KEMT will create new accounts on the fly. I don't want to change the password on the account while the migration is happening, as I would expect that to break the migration.

2) if I migrate a 'resource' user (room) from Exchange, will it come into Kerio as a resource?

3) I've seen mention of a 'threads' setting. Where is that? if it's on the server, does that imply that I have to run the migration tool on the server?

P.S. Sure do wish I could specify the target domain (migrate 'domain-a.com' to 'domain-b.com')

[Updated on: Wed, 04 March 2015 21:08]

•  
ksnyder (KERIO)

Hi Bud,

A lot to digest here and perhaps no quick & easy answer so I'll steer you as best I can. Two resources that I highly recommend:
- http://kb.kerio.com/1469
- http://youtu.be/htyFDUiWp30?t=17m27s

1. Yes, users should be able to login to their Kerio Connect account during migration. Are you using Active Directory? If so, then get that sorted out with the Kerio Connect server prior to initiating the migration. Then, passwords will be set. If you leave it to the migration tool to create the users, then it will create a password for each user and you'll need to review the summary report after the users have migrated in order to identify the passwords. Best bet: AD ahead of time or create the local users ahead of time so that the passwords are set prior to migration. http://youtu.be/htyFDUiWp30?t=24m

2. The migration tool does not migrate resources/rooms. There might be other forum threads that discuss the best approach for this.

3. I believe the default thread setting is 6. This is to prevent servers from suffering a melt-down. http://youtu.be/htyFDUiWp30?t=23m

4. After migration, it's pretty easy to rename a domain in Kerio Connect. Unless I'm not fully understanding your objective here. http://kb.kerio.com/1122

Ken Snyder
Director, Sales Engineering | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Bud Durland

Thanks for the reply. I've practically memorized KB1469. We are not using Active Directory for user authentication. This migration has several challenges:

1. The migration is across a WAN
  2. The Exchange server is in a different active directory domain than the Kerio server
  3. We have several Exchange mailboxes over 10GB and/or over 50,000 messages
  4. The Exchange server e-mail domain (@domain-a.com) needs to be merged into the existing Kerio e-mail domain (<_at_>domain-b.com)

As you can see from the last bullet, renaming the domain is not the issue; I want to import users from the existing domain, and put them into a specific target domain. Otherwise, I have to merge the domains by hand, which is tricky.

For the resources, I am simply going to tell the users that they will need to re-invite the resource to the meeting.

The problem that I see with allowing users to access their account while the import is happening is that the import does not have a 'restart' feature. If there is any trouble, such as a WAN link fluttering, I have to whack the user's entire mailbox and start over. They would lose any new activity.

We also discovered today that rules don't come over during the migration. It could be that this can't be helped -- I don't remember if Outlook connected to Exchange stores rules on the server or in the local client.
  •  
ComputerBudda

Might be better off exporting to pst files and then importing to the correct mailbox and domain.
  •  
Bud Durland

@ComputerBudda -- actually, we just sent the better part of a week doing that, only to discover that you can't reply to any of the imported e-mail, because the 'from' address is brought over as x.500 format, not an e-mail address.
  •  
ComputerBudda

Was the x.500 format default before because I've done the pst export and the messages all came in properly. What tool did the export? I'm afraid I've gotten lazy. I just fire up BackupAssist in eval mode and export all the pst files by user right from the server.
  •  
Bud Durland

The export was done with the standard Exchange 2010 PowerShell Scripts.
  •  
ComputerBudda

Just for giggles, download a free eval of BA and try one of the mailboxes. See if that's better.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2015 23:28]

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
  •  
Bud Durland

Brian -- Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, we are migrating from Exchange 2010, and many of the mailboxes in question are larger than 2GB.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Have you tried the IMAP migration tool?

Brian Carmichael
  •  
Bud Durland

Brian -- we will probably try that next, if we can figure out how to transfer calendars and contacts. Exporting .PST file just for that data may work. Exporting calendars as an .ICS file may work as well.

Question -- does the Kerio IMAP tool allow me to have different source & target mailbox names?
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Unfortunately it's like the exchange migration tool in that the source and target mailbox names will be the same. If you are able to run perl scripts from a command line, you could consider a third party utility called IMAPsync. http://www.athensfbc.com/imap-tools/details.html#imapsync

Brian Carmichael
Previous Topic: From Open to Active Directory
Next Topic: Scalability Guidelines
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Jan 23 15:41:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02786 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.