Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Duplicate contact folder in iOS
  •  
macjimbo

Send a private message to this user
I'm running KC 8.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8, with a few Macs and iOS devices attached.

My iPad and iPhone have been setup using the Kerio tool which installs a profile.

On both devices, I see 2 folders named 'Contacts' within my KC account. One of these folders is what I will call the 'real' contact folder, the other contains just 5 names and is mirrored on both iOS devices. If I add a name directly to this folder then it replicates instantly on the other device. Likewise deleting or altering any of the names. So the folder must exist on the server, otherwise it couldn't replicate the contacts across the 2 devices.

The mystery is that there is no sign of the second 'Contacts' folder (or the contacts inside it) anywhere on KC's webmail, and neither does it show up in Apple Mail (which is setup using CardDAV).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Where does this mystery folder hang out? And why can't I see it except on iOS devices?

Cheers

James
  •  
macjimbo

180 views and no replies...

can anyone give me any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

thx

James
  •  
Vicky

Hi Macjimbo,

Sorry if you have already checked this but have you checked the public folders for this 'Contacts' folder? Could that be your 'phantom' contacts folder?

The other way to maybe find out where this folder is to:
1. Enable some debug logging 'Message Folder Operations'
2. Add a contact to this 2nd contacts folder
3. Wait for it to sync
4. Disable the debug logging (Folder operations generates a lot of lines in the log)
5. Go through the log to see what pathway shows the contact was added to.

If the folder is on the server you will see it in the debug log with debugging options enabled.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
macjimbo

Hiya Vicky

Thanks for your reply

OK I have found the folder but I'm not quite sure how/why it is where it is.

In old style webmail I can't see this folder at all and it doesn't appear in Apple Mail either.

In new style webmail (having clicked the contacts button in the top bar), I see this down the left sidebar:

ALL CONTACTS -> My contacts - this folder contains almost all my contacts
FOLDERS -> Contacts - this is the mystery folder which contains 4 names
PUBLIC FOLDERS -> Contacts - this is the public contacts folder on the server

So where does this 'folders' section come from, and how did this mystery Contacts folder find its way there?

Now that I know, I can easily enough move the names to the other contacts folder and delete this one, but I'd be interested to know how it could have happened. Also - is there any way of syncing these 'folders' to Apple Mail?

Thanks again

James
  •  
macjimbo

Hi Vicky are you able to give me a reply to the above? Thx James
  •  
Vicky

Hi James,

Sorry for not replying sooner I must have missed your initial reply, sorry about that.

To answer your two questions:

1. The contacts folder under the 'Folder' section is where custom folders would be created. What is strange is that it had the same name as your default contacts folder. So this folder was either made by yourself at some point or an email client or Address Book may have created this folder somehow. It would be difficult to tell now that it has been removed.

2. Nice and simple question. No there is not a way to get contact folders to sync with Apple Mail. I wish there was but there is not you will need to use Apple Address Book to manage contacts from the Mac desktop.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Vicky

P.S. I will keep an extra eye out for any response to this Smile
  •  
macjimbo

Hi Vicky - I haven't actually removed (or done anything else) with the folder pending a reply, so it may be possible still to figure out how it came to be?

I don't think I can have made it myself, as I've never even seen these custom folders before and the folder does not appear in the old style webmail. It wasn't until I switched to the new style webmail that I spotted the folder. Until then it was a mystery that I had these contacts on my iPhone and iPad in a separate folder which I couldn't see anywhere else. I think that all these contacts were probably created on my iPhone.

When I asked if I could sync to Apple Mail, what I really meant was can I sync it with Address Book on Mac? This folder (and the contacts in it) do not appear anywhere in my Address Book.

Thanks

James
  •  
Vicky

Hi James,

No problem, if you want to find out more about this folder or have us try and see if we can figure where the folder came from you would need to open a support ticket. As we would need copies of the folder and other data. Would you be willing to do that? As we can then get the contacts all sorted out including getting them to sync with Address Book.

All the best,

Vicky
  •  
macjimbo

thanks Vicky I've registered a ticketĀ #GPE-463023

cheers

James
Previous Topic: Client was not authenticated
Next Topic: Make Exchange the default for iPhone setup?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 08:14:34 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00500 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.