Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Instant Messaging setup manual needed
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
there isn't sufficient information published (at least that I have found) to properly setup instant messaging. Does anyone have any notes that might help?

Specifically, setting up DNS SRV records for it.

http:// kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/instant-messaging/configu ring-dns-for-instant-messaging-1398.html
Seems pretty worthless as it does not describe what values are used where in the setup on a Windows 2008 R2 server running DNS.

Hope someone can help. In the meantime, I'll keep looking and trying ideas.
  •  
farhadd

I can tell you that we added the following SRV records to our Linux DNS server as follows and it seems to be working fine. I'm not sure where to put these in a Windows server.

_jabber._tcp.ourdomain.com. IN SRV 0 0 5269 ourkerioserver.ourdomain.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.ourdomain.com. IN SRV 0 0 5269 ourkerioserver.ourdomain.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.ourdomain.com. IN SRV 0 0 5222 ourkerioserver.ourdomain.com.
  •  
McIrish

Thanks.
I take it that you made 3 different records?

In windows server, I go into DNS and create a "other new record" and select SRV. Here are the fields to fill in:
Domain: already filled in and grayed out (ourdomain.com)
Service:
Protocol:
Priority:
Weight:
Port Number:
Host offering this service:

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2013 22:27]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

This could help.
./fa/3036/0/

BTW: Non-working XMPP Ping usually means that other internet users are not able to connect to your server. Check the DNS records (both SRV and A) and both network and server firewall.

• Attachment: IC357803.jpg
    (Size: 15.48KB, Downloaded 864 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2013 22:48]

•  
McIrish

Thanks Pavel,
With all the info I got, I have got it working to where I can now check service Accessibility and it comes up OK for DNS A and DNS SRV Client.
I'm now unable to get the Pigin client to connect. Hopefully I will find a setting that I can tweak to get it working too.
  •  
McIrish

No luck so far getting the client to connect. This will be a cool feature if we ever get it working. A step by step manual for Windows, Mac and Linux would be very good. It would save a lot of repeat questions.

Besides just trying to connect, is there another way to test the client?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Configuration is extremely easy. Just fill out the username<_at_>domain.com and the password. If autodetection does not work, then also server hostname.

The majority of problems with client connections is from blocked ports on firewall. Troubleshooting is very easy. Can you telnet to port 5222 on your server (with hostname defined in SRV record)?
  •  
McIrish

I'm inside the domain (in-house) so there really isn't any firewall activity, unless I am missing something completely. In KC8.1, the Check Service Accessibility test comes back OK. We do NOT have XMPP Federation turned on.

In theory, the client seems like It should be very straightforward, but still, I'm unable to get it to connect. I will see if I can telnet next.
  •  
McIrish

Pidgin works fine if I run it on the server, so I'm assuming I have a firewall issue in the server itself. Sound about right?

Opened 5222, 5223, 5269 on the server and it works. Whew!
Thanks for the help

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2013 00:35]

Previous Topic: number of calendar display on outlook & Kerio connect 8
Next Topic: 4.4.2 Connection Lost
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 03:42:20 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00512 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.