Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connect Client Performance (tune it?)
  •  
sberry

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We have run KMS and now Connect for many years under the same server. Using versions up to 7 with webmail, performance has been fine. After upgrading to 8, and 8.1, using Client, performance has been slow for many of our users. Most have reported problems using IE 8 / 9 / 10. We have switched them to Chrome, but some are still reporting slowness when opening messages, messages displaying as read, and general sluggishness.

Our server runs 3x300GB SAS drives in RAID 5, 10k rpm for the mail store, and has done for years. We have around 160 users, though these are not all concurrent. The server is running Server 2003 with 4GB RAM (32 bit).

- Is the sluggishness down to the BROWSER - we advise to use Chrome, but some staff can't tell the difference between IE and Chrome and pick the wrong one
- Is serving out the Connect Client interface heavier on the server? Are we going to have to go 64 bit and up the RAM?
- Is there a way to performance tune Kerio Connect?

I'm all for upgrading the server, however we have not budgeted for this so I would like to know if there is anything I can do before shelling out for new hardware, or causing downtime moving to 2008R2 with more RAM, for example.

Any advice welcome Smile
  •  
zebby

I believe disk speed/RAID type is the killer here.

Our server was not built for Kerio (it ended up installed on a retired one) so while it's not shabby it's probably overkill in some parts and not optimal in others - Windows 2008 (64 bit) 16GB RAM. We originally had the same disk set up as you but added an extra drive then converted from a RAID5 array to RAID10. This gave us a little performance boost for next to no investment, you could give that a try. Depending on how cheap you can get new disks (and if your controller can handle it) you could swap out the 10k for 15k in RAID10.

The bigger boost for us came from the upgrade from V7.x to V8 - BUT ONLY for Outlook users.
A few of us use web mail and the new interface is woefully slow compared to the old version and I currently encourage users to keep using the old version for speed.

While we have a 64 bit OS we're reluctant to use the 64 bit Kerio software as it is only officially supported on the R2 version, so I don't know if the 64 bit version of KC would be improved by the extra memory available to it. I'd be interested to hear if it would as I would then have a good reason to replace the Kerio server hardware albeit next year!
  •  
hbianchi

Performance problem of Kerio has always been the "Hard disk" device. When going to the new Client, they added an additional problem because New Client is slower that old one (an aldo lacks several tools). Kerio should stop to see only in the "contribution" side of the product and research a little more in the core of it.

No matter the KC increased a lot the price, they discontinued the support for some external antivirus, they never improved the SMTP features, antispam filtering and detection is too simple and they never reviewed how the storage is being done in the Hard disks. An ever growing message system should have an indexed database storage rform essages, and the "chain" of messages hsould be kept by indexing and not by acumulation of text in the message.
Previous Topic: ClamAV on Connect 8.1 - windows
Next Topic: Monitor Account Silently
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 10:24:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00374 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.