Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Attachment limits in Webmail (Attachment too large and entire email is lost)
  •  
Phaethar

Send a private message to this user
Hey all,

I'm looking for a little more info on how outgoing messages that are sent via Webmail are handled. We had someone put together a very large email over the weekend that included multiple attachments. While we have our attachment limit size set to 35MB already, this message still went over that limit. Not too big of a deal normally, except that this message had a very large message body. My first reaction is to just look in the sent items folder and copy the body and resend the message with fewer attachments. Unfortunately, the message isn't there. It's also not in the archives. In fact, there is no mention that this message was ever created and attempted to send. Nothing in error logs, warning logs, or anything.

So, a couple of questions.

1. Is there any way at all to find the message that failed to send? I'm really just looking for the message body here.

2. We are still running Kerio Connect 7.4.2 on a Linux system. Have there been any improvements to the way this is handled in version 8? We were going to build a new system running a 64-bit OS before upgrading to 8, but if there are improvements to help with things like this we may upgrade the current system for now.

Thanks!
  •  
BeeOnLion

Hi Phaethar
Sounds to me like the message was not sent at all so it could be in the drafts folder.

If there is no record in the log files chances are the user may not have pressed send Smile

What I would expect to see if the user did send the message would be something along the lines of

Message being sent
Message hitting other persons server
Message too big rejection message
User getting message into mailbox saying message failed to send

If there is no message log like the above try logging into webmail as the admin & search the archive messages never know you might find the message in there if its not in the users draft folder

Hope this helps
  •  
Phaethar

Hi BeeOnLion,

We know the user definitely hit send, as we've been able to duplicate the problem since. The attachment limit that we're hitting is Kerio's, not the destination user. So, we have our limit set at 35MB currently, and this user attempted to send multiple attachments that go over that limit. The issue is that when that happened, rather than save the message or give a chance to change the attachments, it simply displays an error with no chance to save your work or try again.

Order of operations here is:

- Compose new message. Choose recipient, subject, etc.
- Type long message.
- Attach files.
- Hit send.

Before the New Mail window even closes, it comes back with an error message:

413 Requested Entity Too Large
Requested Entity Too Large. (URI /webmail/mailComposeSave.php)

You tried to post 37.51 MB of data, but maximal size is 35.00 MB.

And at that point, the message is gone. Can't even hit back on the browser, as you are brought back to a new mail window to start all over again. I'm just wondering if that message was saved as a draft anywhere automatically. It does not appear that Kerio automatically saves drafts, but instead requires that you do it manually.

Speaking of drafts, we did some more testing, and the only workaround we can think of to avoid this in the future is to have someone:

- Compose new message. Set recipient, subject, and body, but no attachments.
- Ctrl-S to save as a draft.
- Open the draft, attempt to attach files.
- If it fails due to size, the draft will still be there so you can try again.

If you try and save the draft with the attachments are they are too large, you also lose the entire message.

Is there anything I'm missing?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 July 2013 21:58]

•  
BeeOnLion

Hi Phaehar

Thats really odd.... im going to bow out of this issue here & leave it to Kerio to resolve.

I just tested it on my version of Kerio 8.0.2 on OSX & there was a version of the mail in the sent items, a record of it in the log file failing to limits & also I was able to find a copy of it in the archive folder in webmail when I logged in as admin.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
  •  
Phaethar

Hi BeeOnLion,

No worries, thanks for trying to help!

I am a bit encouraged by your report that, during your own testing (different OS and all), a copy of the failed messaged could be found in the Sent Items folder, as well as in the archives for the admin user. I'm hoping this means this issue was addressed in version 8 somewhere. I've looked through the version history and change logs, but don't see anything specifically mentioning this, but maybe it wasn't a documented fix. Perhaps someone from Kerio could elaborate on this?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think you should check the limit for HTTP POST requests in Advanced options/WebMail. That's the limit you are likely to hit with described steps.
  •  
Phaethar

Hi Pavel,

Yes, as I mentioned in the first post, that limit is set to 35MB. We know that's the limit we hit here.

The issue in this case was that a user (the president of the company no less) put together a very long email with multiple attachments. Taken together, these attachments added up to more than 35MB. When this user added everything and hit send, the "413 Requested Entity Too Large" error screen came up, and the entire email was lost. Nothing was logged, nothing added to sent items or saved in drafts. I'm trying to figure out the best way to prevent this from happening again, either by upgrading to version 8 sooner than planned if that fixes the issue, or finding out if these messages are saved anywhere when this happens.

Previous Topic: Mobile Devices Not showing up
Next Topic: Migration Tobit David -> Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 16:28:45 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00471 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.