Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » VPN Tunnel in Mac-Mac Server Environment
  •  
gskibum

Send a private message to this user
Hello. I am setting up a VPN tunnel between two offices. Both offices have Mac OS X 10.8.x servers.

The mothership office Mac server is also hosting Kerio Connect and has external domain MX records pointing to it. It has a .org domain. It is an Open Directory Master. It is also running DNS and DHCP. Although I am open to moving DHCP over to the Kerio Control box.

The remote Mac server has not yet been deployed so I have flexibility in how it is set up.

I have been trying to follow the Kerio Control documentation section titled "Example of Kerio VPN configuration: company with a filial office." This is roughly what I intend to do, however I do differ with this example in that I want to allow VPN access to the remote office.

I have come across two issues:

I'm not sure how to set up the DNS in either environment. The documentation says to set the Kerio Control box as the primary DNS server on all hosts. However when I do that the DNS running on the servers breaks - I am no longer to do lookups in Terminal.

sudo changeip -checkhostname yields "The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool."

When I point the primary DNS of hosts to the Kerio Control box lookups also fail. So I'm thinking my Mac server environment requires something different than what is suggested in the Kerio documentation.

It seems the current Kerio Control documentation has not been updated to show the current "Custom DNS Forwarding" dialog box. So I am also at a loss for how to configure DNS on either of the Kerioi Control boxes.

Has anyone been down this road, even more or less? Guidance would be most appreciated!
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
DNS service in Control is not a full DNS server. It is only capable of:
- resolve hostnames from local hosts file
- resolve hostnames from assigned DHCP leases
- forward DSN queries to another server for specific domain (Custom DNS forwarding)
- forward all other queries to default DNS server (setup on the Internet interface)

If you want to be able to resolve DNS names from the other office, you should create a custom DNS forwarding to the server in the remote office for DNS domain used in the remote office.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
Previous Topic: kerio blocked some websites
Next Topic: A few urgent problems with kerio control
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 07:22:55 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00380 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.