Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Help tracking mail that isn't getting through
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
I know this is very vague, but I'm having some trouble receiving email from a vendor. It appears they have reports sent to us via some other service. I don't see any entries in the mail log for those reports. I've added what I think is the public IP of the sending server to our whitelist. Still, I don't see any email coming in from them. I can have them send it to my personal account and I get it just fine.
Any ideas on how to track this down?

Thanks
Tom
  •  
tonyswu

I would probably start by reviewing the header of the email that successfully went through to your personal email account. It should have plenty of information in there in terms of whitelisting needs. Then I would take another look at the log (spam log as well) and see if you find anything there.
  •  
clan

The debug log may give some hints as well. Can you contact their service provider to find out if they have something on their logs?
  •  
McIrish

Thanks for the replies. I did go through every log and searched the sender and sender address. Nothing came up. Its an odd case and I haven't found a way to track it. I guess I will need to contact the sender and see if they get anything in their logs.
  •  
McIrish

I finally found a line in the security log that matches up.
Client with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has no reverse DNS entry, connection rejected before SMTP greeting.

How would this be cured? Their IP address is in the whitelist and all spam modules are setup to use the whitelist.
Ideas?

I don't want to turn off checking for reverse DNS except for this one exception. Can it be done?

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2013 22:01]

•  
tonyswu

I know people hate being told that they are wrong (myself included), but you need to tell the sending party that they need to get this resolved. A mail server without reversed DNS is like a business man without a business card. Not going to work. If they are unwilling to address this issue, then you have to either disable it (can you even do that in Kerio?), or have them send to your personal mail account, and use some sort of filtering rule to forward that to your work account. or some other similar workarounds.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2013 22:31]

•  
McIrish

I agree with you. This, is a huge company that sends out 10,000+ emails per day in some automated system. The emails are mission critical for us. It could be easily cured if Kerio included a whitelist option in SMTP Server/Security Options/Additional Options
  •  
perbauer

Check your setting in Config / SMTP Server / Security Options, there's a checkbox called "Block if client's IP address has no reverse DNS entry (PTR)".
I don't have it checked here, we deal with many small companies that not always have their reverses set, ie I cannot check it. Luckily it has not meant any major increase in spam because of it.
Previous Topic: WAN users stuck in work offline
Next Topic: 8.1 Search through shared folders not working?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 22:26:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00457 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.