Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Error: Cannot Install Kerio Workspace (Java runtime)
  •  
Lyle M

Send a private message to this user
I'm trying to do a clean install of Kerio Workspace 2.1.2 on a newly built OS X 10.8.4 system. I've purposely opted to not install Java 1.6 from Apple, and instead installed the 1.7 JDK from java.com.

The Workspace installer stops with the following error:

Cannot Install Kerio Workspace
The Java runtime is missing on this computer. Please install the Java runtime and run the installation again.

However, running java -version generates this:

java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

I'm guessing the installer is looking for Java in the location that Apple places it, vs. where Oracle does. Anyone know of a workaround that doesn't involve installing old Java versions on my server? Symlinks?

Thanks!
  •  
fishtech

I think if you type which java into terminal on an OSX 10.8.4 you get an option to have the correct/expected version is downloaded and installed.

not sure how that will behave if you have already downloaded a version.

hth,

ft.
  •  
Lyle M

On both a 10.7.5 machine with Java 1.6 and on the referenced 10.8.4 machine with Java 1.7, entering "which java" yields the same result. The Terminal responds with "/usr/bin/java"

I believe if you do anything that calls upon Java on a 10.8 machine that doesn't yet have Java installed, an Apple OS dialog box appears asking if you want to download and install the Apple-supported 1.6 Java. That box isn't presented if Java 1.7 is already installed.

Thanks.
-Lyle
  •  
fishtech

I have the Apple version, Java 1.6.0_51 on my 10.8.4 WorkSpace machine. I installed it using which java

I tried to check the System Requirements to see whether Java 1.7 is supported but I do not have access to http://www.kerio.com/workspace/technical-specifications

Regards,

ft.
  •  
Lyle M

Thanks for checking.

Cheers,
Lyle
  •  
Lyle M

With the understanding that Workspace is now the redheaded stepchild of Kerio, can I impose upon someone 'in the know' as to the odds of this installer issue being addressed in a future release of Workspace?
I'm in no rush on this install and can easily wait for a fix. However, if the odds of a fix are "Slim to none, and Slim's out to lunch," then I'll allocate some time to find my own workaround.

Thanks for anything you can do.

Regards,
Lyle
  •  
Machete

Lyle M wrote on Mon, 16 September 2013 12:28
"Slim to none, and Slim's out to lunch," then I'll allocate some time to find my own workaround.

Based on a couple other bugs I haven't seen fixed (that existed before EOL) and dispite users were promised a year of bug fixes, I'd say Slim got taken out back in the alley and was put down.
  •  
Lyle M

Machete wrote on Wed, 18 September 2013 11:27
Based on a couple other bugs I haven't seen fixed (that existed before EOL) and dispite users were promised a year of bug fixes, I'd say Slim got taken out back in the alley and was put down.

Poor, poor Slim.
I bet the NSA saw the whole thing (like what they can do with cloud-based services).
  •  
Lyle M

Hey Kerio,

Please, just a little feedback? I really don't want to put any time into this if you're going to update Workspace to work with Java 1.7.

Thanks!
  •  
Lyle M

With the release of Workspace 2.1.3 I had hopes of the installer issue being resolved. Still no go.

I've since upgraded the JRE to build 1.7.0_45-b18.

I've also set the $JAVA_HOME variable using .profile in the logged in user's home directory as /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/H ome (sourced from /usr/libexec/java_home).

I just unpacked the WS installer and am going to manually place each of the components onto a test unit to see if I can get it running. My hope is that it's only the installer that is Java 1.7 ignorant. I'll update with the results.
Previous Topic: Log out
Next Topic: Workspace Options
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:33:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.