Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Integration with Mac
  •  
nhoague

Send a private message to this user
I found that the Integration from Connect to Apple Mail creates an Exchange IMAP account. Problem is (for lots of use) we have multiple accounts and Apple Mail doesn't play nice with multiple Exchange IMAP accounts.

Can we get that changed to standard IMAP?

Thanks!
  •  
Vicky

Hello Nhoague,

Sadly you cannot change this in the auto configure tool. Best thing you can do is suggest this as a feature request via the 'Suggest Idea' button in the Web Admin.

What you could do is setup Apple Mail manually with an IMAP account as this could be done by the users. Its not ideal but it would help with your situation.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Apple Mail only allows one Exchange IMAP account, at least when you set it up manually. I have two Kerio hosted accounts in Mail on both of my Macs. One is setup as Exchange IMAP, and the other is IMAP. I haven't noticed that either account performs any better (or worse) than the other. Both accounts are setup as CalDAV in Calendar, and work perfectly. If you have end users setting up accounts manually, make sure to remind them NOT to setup the account as POP. Apple's Mail app automatically defaults to POP if it can't figure out what the proper settings should be. This is why I have POP disabled on most of the Kerio Connect servers that I manage. It's better to have them get an error than to have them accidentally setup the account incorrectly.
  •  
nhoague

So on both accounts, this isn't a matter of setting up accounts manually or that Apple Mail only supports one exchange IMAP.

The problem is that when the Kerio Connect auto configure tool is used, it sets up the accounts using Exchange IMAP. This is a problem if you try to setup more than one Kerio account using the auto configure tool.

Being a hosting provider, the auto configure tool is incredibly useful, except for when users have multiple accounts. Not many obviously, but a handful.

That's all. Smile
  •  
Howie Isaacks

The users can have all the accounts that they want, but only one can be an Exchange IMAP. As I mentioned before, I have two Kerio hosted accounts. One is Exchange IMAP, and the other is plain old IMAP. Neither performs better than the other. I'm a service provider myself, but sometimes I just have to stand back, and let the users do some things by themselves. I give them the instructions, and then it's their choice to follow them. This is an Apple mail limitation more than anything, but it's really not that big of a deal. Of course you probably know that huge mountains are made out of tiny little mole hills all the time Smile This is why I write up detailed guides for as many scenarios as I can think of.
  •  
nhoague

Yes, I understand that, but that is where the problem is. They can only use the Kerio Integration ONCE. If the Kerio Integration would create accounts using standard IMAP this wouldn't be an issue.

•  
Howie Isaacks

You're right. Kerio should make the config tool intelligent enough to realize that there is already an Exchange IMAP account in Mail, and then configure an ordinary IMAP account instead.

Oh... and one more thing... They should also sign the darn install package so that OS X Mountain Lion will stop rejecting it! Sure, you can right-click to open the install package, but how many end users will know that they can do that, and how many users will know how to turn off Gate Keeper? Kerio Connect installers don't trigger Gate Keeper, so why does the config tool? I have had a lot of my customers tell me that they couldn't do the setup all because of this.
  •  
nhoague

Exactly on both accounts!
  •  
Kedar

Howie Isaacks wrote on Tue, 10 September 2013 01:07

They should also sign the darn install package so that OS X Mountain Lion will stop rejecting it!

It's not possible, because installer is mix of Python and Applescript and CUSTOMIZED config files (user name, server ports, SSL/nonSSL, available services...). Because this installer is customized for every user and is always different, it cannot be signed by Kerio's private (secret) key.

Quote:
Sure, you can right-click to open the install package, but how many end users will know that they can do that

It's described on Integration page, including picture and link to Knowledge Base
see for example https://mail.kerio.com/integration/index.php?lang=en&os= mac
http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/os-x/how-and-why-i nstallation-of-the-kerio-connect-account-assistant-has-chang ed-on-os-x-108-mountain-lion-1184.html

Quote:
Kerio Connect installers don't trigger Gate Keeper, so why does the config tool?

Product installers are signed by Kerio's private key.

See KB article for more.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 September 2013 14:37]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You're right. Kerio should make the config tool intelligent enough to realize that there is already an Exchange IMAP account in Mail, and then configure an ordinary IMAP account instead.

The auto-configuration tool already does exactly this since Kerio Connect 8.0.0. It creates IMAP account in such case. And with Kerio Connect 8.2.0 the IMAP also supports SPECIAL-USE extension so folder names of default folders (Sent Items, Deleted Items etc.) are correctly mapped by Apple Mail to Sent and Trash folders.
  •  
nhoague

I supposed I will need to test this then!

Can I ask then why even use the Exchange IMAP? What are the differences with that protocol?

And thats awesome about the SPECIAL-USE folders. That was always a confusing step for users.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 11 September 2013 08:56

The auto-configuration tool already does exactly this since Kerio Connect 8.0.0. It creates IMAP account in such case. And with Kerio Connect 8.2.0 the IMAP also supports SPECIAL-USE extension so folder names of default folders (Sent Items, Deleted Items etc.) are correctly mapped by Apple Mail to Sent and Trash folders.

I guess I missed that then. Both of my Kerio accounts on my Mac were configured manually, so I didn't realize that the Kerio config tool does this. That's good to know.
Previous Topic: Problem getting access to Archive folders
Next Topic: MAPI_E_TOO_COMPLEX outlook 2007
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 00:22:53 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.