Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Require Authentication when accepting message with sender from a local domain
  •  
mckingsley

Send a private message to this user
Can someone please remind me how this setting works and what it means? "Require Authentication when accepting message with sender from a local domain"
  •  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hi,

http://kb.kerio.com/1167 should help.

Item 3 under "How to configure who can connect to SMTP server".

I hope that helps.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
mckingsley

I've looked at that and it doesn't help - because - it seems like the settings fight with each other. You have the option to allow local users to relay, and then if you click "Require Authentication when accepting message with sender from a local domain" it makes them authenticate, right?

Well why not just instead uncheck the option for local users to relay and then have all users authenticate?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

"Relay option" is an ability to send email to recipients in other (internet) domains.
"Require authentication" option is when you want to stop spammers to use your email address to send an email to you pretending that the message is from you (or other users in your email domain).

[Updated on: Thu, 12 September 2013 20:18]

•  
mckingsley

Oh, OK got it...so local domain just means a domain we are running in Kerio...I was mixing that up with also meaning local sender (i.e. a local IP)

So I think that makes much more sense.

But does that mean if we have both checked, that local IP printers that we had allowed to relay now cannot unless they authenticate?

If so trying to figure out what is the better option..probably it's having everyone authenticate, but I can see a case where a very old device has problems authenticating correctly.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

As stated in the Release notes for Kerio Connect 8.0.x:

"SMTP server in Kerio Connect 8.0 can be now configured to require user authentication when
accepting email from a sender with email domain defined in Kerio Connect. This option is
a great enhancement of current Caller-ID and SPF anti-spam methods. It allows the server to
reject emails with forged sender email address, which pretends to be from users from a local
email domain on the server. This new method is applied only on clients that are not allowed
to relay email to other domains, i.e. to all incoming messages from the Internet."

In other words, if your printers are allowed to relay emails in Relay options, the don't need to authenticate even if the option is enabled.
  •  
mckingsley

Thanks, it would be great to have this in the official documentation. Where can we find older release notes for example the Kerio 8.0 because I think all I see is the more current release notes.
Previous Topic: 2 users, 2 domains, 1 mailbox
Next Topic: Need help for supporting multiple mailadresses
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 23:59:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00395 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.