Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » ldap query bug (Avoidable with external ldap server?)
  •  
NoTweet

Send a private message to this user
We are using Kerio Connect as a standalone mail server for quite a while now. Almost everyone uses Outlook as their primary email/groupware client. On our Android phones Touchdown is doing a superb job synchronizing with the Kerio mailboxes, contacts and calendars thanks to ActiveSync.

As more sophisticated conventional phones found their way on our staff's desks, a connection to the well maintained address books in Kerio Connect became eligible. Fortunately, the phones speak ldap and so does Kerio Connect. The challenge seemed quite simple:

1. In case of dialing out: Query the users address book(s) by name to find the phone number you are looking for.

2. When the phone rings: Query the users address book(s) by phone number, to display the name of the calling party on the phone's display.

Whilst the query by name (even by email address) worked flawlessly, the query by any of the phone number fields did not: The query result was always empty like the search pattern did never match.

Deeper analysis with ldap querying tools confirmed that this is definitely a bug in Kerio Connect. But a web search found posts that indicated, Kerio is not seeing it that way. Instead Kerio points to using external directory services for ldap queries on anything other than the name and email address fields.

Of course I can setup an OpenLDAP or even an AD server. I suppose, mapping the Kerio Connect users to those in the external directory service will also work. But will that solve the issue of querying the users address books via ldap by the phone number fields of their contacts?

As of my understanding the precondition for that would be Kerio Connect maintaining the users address books in that external directory service, so the query can be run against that very directory service instead on Kerio Connect. Is that the case or is there some other magic I'm not seeing?
  •  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hi,

You're right - Kerio Connect's LDAP Server can only provide answers to name & email address queries.

So, yes - you would need an additional LDAP server to serve out the users to both Kerio Connect and the phones in this instance.

Kerio supports Windows Active Directory and Apple's Open Directory; with regards to OpenLDAP - this KnowledgeBase article may help:

http://kb.kerio.com/294

Best regards,

Neil.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
NoTweet

Thanks for the info.

I studied the article. It's all about mapping users from external LDAP. Nice, but doesn't look like it's about the contacts or address books of those users.

Are their address books now ultimately trapped inside Kerio Connect or is there any way to get them properly exposed via an external ldap, i.e. make them become searchable by phone number?
  •  
Silverstar

Are there any news on that?
We also like to have our phones showing the name of the caller.

NoTweet: Do you have found a working solution?
  •  
NoTweet

Well, it's a disability of Kerio Connect. You can't query the phone number fields, because the Kerio ldap server lacks the functionality to perform that basic task.

As Kerio is not showing any intent to implement it and because of other deficiencies we decided to move to another groupware server product.
  •  
Silverstar

Thank you NoTweet,

I hoped you had found any solution eg. by using a LDAP proxy or so.
Moving away from Kerio is at the moment not an option for us.

@Kerio: Are there any LDAP proxies or so you can recommend to get this to work?

Cheers
Silverstar
  •  
Roellie4u

I have recently moved to kerio connect.
Also my contacts are in Public Folders and want to share them with LDAP.

Have you found a workaround?

Thanks for awnsering,

Roeland
  •  
Silverstar

Sorry, no workaround so far Sad
  •  
NoTweet

No solution found. Currently planning to move to OpenExchange.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

As I understand based on the original post, the objective is to synchronize public contacts with Android devices. See this post http://forums.kerio.com/t/29728//

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Roellie4u

Hi,

My objective is to connect a multifunction device (printer/fax/scanner) to the adresbook.
When searching emailcontacts (scanning) this works) however for faxing the adressbook stays empty.

Also our PBX (telephone system) uses an LDAP connection to translate incoming phone numbers to names). This is also not working at this moment.

Searches on:
telephoneNumber
facsimileTelephoneNumber

is the only fields i need.

Regards Roeland
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

The LDAP server in Kerio Connect is not designed for that type of use case. It's mainly for email address lookups in the global address book for some email clients. In the use case you described, you might consider something like Active Directory and have Kerio Connect mapping users from Active Directory.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
igorrennert

Hi, are there any changes regarding this topic?
Refer to using a different ldap-server does not really help, if you want enable your clients to see the caller's name stored in their personal address book when the phone is ringing.
  •  
Lars Sölter

Hi,

after a lot of frustrated testing I realiced that the fault was not mine, but I was encountering a limitation of Kerio Connect.

Basically every one on of my customers, that ist employing Kerio Connect uses the Software to maintain a comprehensive address book. I don't think it is far fetched to expect Kerio to handle phone number searches to allow external hardware like phones to display a name instead of a number. Especially as the "sollution" to this problem is either to shell out quite some money on products like XPhone Virtual Directory or migrate to Exchange - which can't be in the interest of Kerio?

With best regards, Lars
Previous Topic: printing from Kerio Connect Client
Next Topic: unknown sender
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Jul 29 13:40:55 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00487 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.