Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Timed Ranges Facebook Issue (Problem blocking....)
  •  
shakamoto

Send a private message to this user
Hello everyone,
We have our kerio control denying access to both URL/IPs used by facebook, set using a timed range during the working hours of the day.

Pre/post work hours and during lunch we do allow access, however i have found that if a user is to open facebook during lunch, and then leave a tab with facebook loaded, it will continue to function as normally allowing both chat and navigation! So in effect, anyone who knows this can bypass the firewall by keeping a window open all day!

I did some testing and found that if the browser is refreshed or the website is opened again in another tab, the firewall blocks as it should.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? or can anyone provide a fix/method of blocking this?

Thanks in advance
Shakamoto

[Updated on: Thu, 12 September 2013 16:39]

•  
silars

1. You may be seeing the effects of caching during navigation.
2. Chat is trickier. What rules are you using to stop facebook? Most find success just completely blocking Facebook than focusing on specific applications.

Also, are you trying this through HTTP Policies or Traffic Policies? For best success, you should be doing Traffic Policies.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 September 2013 17:39]

•  
shakamoto

thanks for the swift reply,

Yes we are blocking though traffic control. we have set up a rule to deny facebook, using a IP address group as the destination. Within this IP address group, containing the common facebook ip addresses and ranges.

We have also created a block in the HTTP policy adding the URL group containing the common URL's used for facebook chat.

these are both then enforced using a time range.

don't get me wrong, the rule works fine if you try to access the website within the blocked times, however the issue seems to be when you leave facebook open when the rule is not in effect, but when it shoud come into effect, the traffic/url isnt blocked.

I also thought that it may be caching, however the website continues to function, you can chat, click on links within facebook, the feed updates with new data...

I'm guessing facebook works very differently to a normal website, where new pages are loaded with every click (hence why we tried blocking IP ranges)

Still no luck though!

Cheers
Shakamoto

[Updated on: Thu, 12 September 2013 18:17]

•  
silars

Have you checked your Active Connections table to compare to your rules?

I'm trying to avoid from having to ask you to post your Traffic/HTTP Policies. Obviously, if you feel you can share those, it couldn't hurt to get another set of eyes on it, or more.

I don't have any rules similar to what you are using, so I won't be the most helpful. There are others in these forums that do this more often. You could wait to see if they'll respond.

There is also the option to go straight to Tech Support. Keep in mind these are user-to-user forums.
  •  
PeNnTaN

Well if you only block from Content Filter, everyone can open facebook cause it in secure mode (HTTPS). You need to add another Filter @Traffic Rules

Like this:
Name : Facebook
Source : Trusted/Local Interface
Destination : facebook.com
apps.facebook.com
Services : HTTPS
Action : DENY
Valid Time : ..... (You need to add your Time Group)

But this condition will not show any deny page, but Facebook will not be access anymore base on your TimeLine. Still dunno how to forward to deny page, using Traffic Rules..
Previous Topic: Update schedule
Next Topic: IP address Failure
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 16:43:05 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00437 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.