Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Instant messaging on multiple devices (instant messaging using same login form multiple devices)
  •  
ankithemonki

Send a private message to this user
hello,

we have started using Instant messaging using the kerio connect IM options. some of our users would like to login at the same time with multiple devices (i.e. laptop and mobile/tablet) is it possible to configure the IM so that messages are delivered to all the devices on which the user is logged in to? currently the message get delivered only to

Ankit

[Updated on: Wed, 25 September 2013 07:10]

•  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hi Ankit,

Could you let me know the devices and IM clients that you are using?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
ankithemonki

Hi Neil,

WE use andriod mobile devices (samsung, nexus) and IM client Xabber
on PC's we use Pigdin IM client with windows 7 OS.

Regards
ankit
  •  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hi Ankit,

It is my understanding that you would need to investigate third party options to allow that - although the only ones I've found allow you to switch your active connection, rather than receive on all devices at once.

It isn't something that can be configured through Kerio Connect.

Best regards,

Neil.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
carcus88

Why is this not built in to behave this way? We should be able to target users on all the devices they have. This is the default for most IM services. If you look at how AIM, GTalk (which is also Jabber) you will see this behaviour.

This is honestly the only issue we have with Kerio Instant Messaging. Its just not usable with multiple devices and users can't be expected to jump through workarounds such as group chats just to get this basic expected functionality.

If there is not already a feature request for this I think there should be.
  •  
Tomas Skoda (Kerio)

The XMPP standard defines how to behave in the case of single user having multiple XMPP connections (called resources). In most clients you can set resource priority. Server then combines this information with resource status (online, away, dnd) and delivers messages only to the resource with highest status (and with highest priority if there are more resources with the same status). Mobile clients have by default higher priority so messages are delivered to a phone in case of being online on both desktop and phone.

Such behaviour ensures that incoming message doesn't beep on my computer, phone and tablet all at the same time.

If such configuration doesn't meet your specific requirements the best you can do is to describe your scenario into the feature request. Do you need to have full history on all clients (received and also sent messages), do you need messages to be automatically marked as read on all resources, do you need messages to be delivered to all resources nevertheless its status (also e.g. to DND), is it some kind of an important notification message you need to broadcast, etc ...

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Tomas Skoda
  •  
ankithemonki

Hi Tomas,

you have understood and captured the requirements perfectly. the challenge is we use Pidgin as recommend by Kerio as an option. I am unable to define priority in this. using available, away DND option we have been able to identify the priority levels. when the same level of priority is set in the mobile device (using xabber) the message gets delivered to the device which registered first with the server. we are unable to deliver messages to both PC and mobile even though the priority may be the same.

is there a way to solve this or recommend another client for PC and android?

ankit
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

On the same topic, but a little different take on it. I am trying to setup xabber on my mobile devices (Tablet & Phone) and have been unsuccessful. I was wondering where you found the instructions on how to set that up. I have figured out pidgin, but haven't really explored all of the options yet. I am honestly in search of a solution like this topic is discussing where it rings/dings all devices at the same time just like my google talk does. This ensures I get the message. If someone is using IM it is normally important and urgent, compared to email it needs to ring/ding all devices simultaneously.

I realize this post is almost a year old, has anything been put forth for this feature, and if someone could either post or send me the instructions on making xabber work, I would appreciate it. trentg<_at_>aaaco.com

Thanks,
Trent

-I built a house out of my to-do list, I now have the biggest house in the country. Awesome!
Trent Greenawalt
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Xabber account configuration:

username: your login name without domain
server: domain.com
custom host: [x]
host: im-server.domain.com
port: 5222
use SASL: [x]
TLS/SSL: Enable TLS
use compression: [ ]
proxy: [ ]

Connect server doesn't support message delivery to all devices. However in the upcoming version there is improved message delivery based on status and resource priority.

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

I tried with the setting you mentioned and it didn't work. I am trying this on a galaxy 4, and on a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.

I tried both over the air (4g) and hooked to wifi. I wonder what I am missing.

Thanks for the help, I guess I will try some other ones.
Trent Greenawalt

-I built a house out of my to-do list, I now have the biggest house in the country. Awesome!
Trent Greenawalt
Previous Topic: Address checking in Outlook not working
Next Topic: Choosing the address for the calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 23:23:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00486 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.