Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 8.2.0 RC2 Bug, Calendar Permission Doesn't Work
  •  
tonyswu

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I just downloaded Kerio Connect 8.2.0 RC2 and put it on our test machine. The first thing I immediately noticed was that calendar permission set in webmail does not apply to iCal anymore. For example, I have users test1 and test 2 under the same domain, and user test1's calendar folder is set to allow read to all users under the same domain. However, when I configure user test2 in iCal, the delegation does not show anything. Please address.

Thanks.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Shared calendars are no longer in Delegation tab in iCal. This tab is for real delegation as defined also in other clients (Kerio Connect client, Kerio Outlook Connector]. Shared folders are displayed among all other user's calendars. That's how iCal handles simple calendar sharing.
It is explained in the Release notes document for this version. iCal user should receive a notification about shared calendar right after server update.

Also, check new Folders to sync option in Kerio Connect client settings. You can configure which folders will be visible in iCal CalDAV clients.
  •  
tonyswu

Couple of questions:

1. What does "normal shared calendar" mean? Is that the same as subscribed calendar?

2. If a calendar is shared from test1 to test2, how does test2 get test1's calendar listed in iCal without following the invitation?

3. Can the "delegation" relationship be set in webmail?

4. How does this affect CalDAV on iPhone?

[Updated on: Fri, 27 September 2013 23:49]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

tonyswu wrote on Fri, 27 September 2013 23:48
Couple of questions:

1. What does "normal shared calendar" mean? Is that the same as subscribed calendar?

2. If a calendar is shared from test1 to test2, how does test2 get test1's calendar listed in iCal without following the invitation?

3. Can the "delegation" relationship be set in webmail?

4. How does this affect CalDAV on iPhone?

1. It means a calendar folder where the owner added access rights to other users on the same server. The calendar is then attached/subscribed/joined by the user. The calendar you can see in Kerio Connect client. "Subscribe" term in iCal refers to an iCalendar file downloadable from any web server, which is not this case.

2. The user has to accept an invitation in iCal otherwise the iCal will not show the calendar. The user can go to the Kerio Connect client, attach shared calendar for other user and then in Kerio Connect client settings (Folders to sync option) select the calendar to be synchronized to CalDAV clients. This will generate a notification for iCal.

3. Of course. Read the Release Notes. Check the Kerio Connect client settings.

4. Exactly the same way as CalDAV in iCal (Calendars). iOS client behaves the same way.
  •  
stk_jj

This change of paradigm is a complete fail!

Giving delegation for the calendar results automatically in a delegation for the whole inbox of email, which can't be separately revoked. Giving access to my calendarentries does not necessarily mean that my incoming email has to be read by others.

There is no necessity to change the behavior of the delegation neither for caldav or carddav. Both works well and will only be »microsoftised«, which in fact is no advance. Just because exchange behaves like this it's neither a correct or even a standard.

I plead to rethink about the whole situation and either stop the release of 8.2.0 in this form or give at least a choice for the delegation/public behavior.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 October 2013 10:58]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I understand that this is a change for the users and we are trying to describe this improvement in the Release Notes, beta forums, Kerio blog and even upcoming KB articles.

In the past the iCal had only one option - delegation. Since the Kerio Connect had no delegation feature, we mapped this functionality to folder (calendar) sharing. There were some hacks underneath to make it working (eg. user could send an invitation from calendar of other user, meeting invitation emails had to be invisibly shared from user's Inbox, etc.). With latest iCal and Calendar applications, Apple has added the sharing functionality, which solves many of user's problems. Eg. in the past {with delegation) all folders must share the same access rights (usually lowest read-only even if the user has read-write access to some calendars but not to others). With sharing, the access rights are now more granular, per-folder. If there are two public calendars, one with read-only and one with read-write access, the user can see both with appropriate rights. This is a huge improvement.

Kerio Connect 8.2 supports both concepts (sharing and delegation) as it is designed in the clients (iCal, Calendars). It is a change for the users. We know. But we believe that by providing modern features, which are native to the clients they use, they get a better experience and the best value. Now they can do more and in more efficient way.
  •  
brose

So... where are permissions stored now?

If I look at the status.fld file then I can get some info of what user A is sharing with users B & C, but is there another file that exists on user's B & C which states what they should have access too? Or is it just that one file and I need to make all modifications there, like in
forums.kerio.com/t/18396//

It looks like the new delegation adds visible inbox read access to users... and this is not something we want. In the beta delegation gave invisible inbox read access.... and it still works for our users who setup delegation at that point, but now when someone sets up delegation it gives them visible inbox read access.

-Brian

-Brian
=:~)
  •  
beheer

Now, after this 'improvement', how can I see which shared calendars there are on the server, and how can I open these other users' calendars in a seperate window? Now it looks like I can only see all 40 shared calendars from other users in one window. Not what I want!

Previous Topic: Can see invitations to others
Next Topic: kerio 8.2.1 and Outlook 2011 Mac
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 02:06:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00499 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.