Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connect 8.2.0 Reminders delegates
  •  
simonelberts

Send a private message to this user
After upgraded to 8.2.0 everyone receive the common reminders in iCal OS X 10.8.x of every colleague. Even if the person only has ready-only rights to the specific calendar.

Does anyone has a server based solution for this ? ( i know you can disable it in iCal itself but its a pain in the .....)
  •  
LGS Support

Disabling it in iCal doesn't seem to have worked in Mavericks. My Users still see alerts for Calendars they are merely viewing, and it sucks. Everyone is getting really fed up with it, especially me.
  •  
desven

As this seems to be a parameter that is set by the client and then stored on the server, I wonder if it was not possible by Kerio to disable notifications for delegated calendars by default.
This would make a lot of sense IMHO.
  •  
desven

I can't confirm what LGS Support wrote. I can disable it even under Mavericks.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I can confirm that this is happening for a lot of users that I support. Turning on the option to turn off shared calendar alerts has zero effect. Using Mavericks, I don't have this issue with the shared calendars that I have loaded in Calendar, so perhaps Mavericks handled this better. That being said, users should not have to upgrade to Mavericks just for this issue. It appears from another comment here that upgrading to Mavericks isn't the solution anyway. Since this did not start until after Kerio Connect 8.2, then the culprit must be Kerio Connect. I'm going to do some digging around on one of the servers, and try to figure this out. If I find something that fixes the issue, I will post the results here.
  •  
lennert

Having the same issue. Started after upgrading to Kerio Connect 8.2. As soon as somenone's calendar is set to 'Can View' in the WebClient and if as an owner you set a reminder everybody will get that notification. Indeed very annoying.

Right now telling my users not to set a reminder.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

lennert wrote on Mon, 28 October 2013 04:18
Having the same issue. Started after upgrading to Kerio Connect 8.2. As soon as somenone's calendar is set to 'Can View' in the WebClient and if as an owner you set a reminder everybody will get that notification. Indeed very annoying.

Right now telling my users not to set a reminder.

Good luck with that solution! I'm hoping that Kerio understand that service providers need a solution for this fast. What's even more annoying than the alerts is when I get constant complaints from customers about this issue. I told them how great 8.2 would be, and now I have egg all over my face. I trust that Kerio will address this, but I'm sorry to report that I will no longer perform upgrades without several weeks of testing. If Kerio's own QA testing did not pick this up, then clearly they're not doing enough testing, or someone there thought that this bug was acceptable, and that it could wait to be fixed with the next release. I don't find it acceptable, and if I had known about it, I would have held off performing the updates. I don't enjoy looking bad to my customers who trust me to run their servers. The customer does not complain to Kerio when their software has bugs. They complain to me!
  •  
lennert

Howie,

Completely agree my advice to my users is not a solution. I'm just afraid that we will be informed that it is a feature and not a bug.

Lennert

•  
Howie Isaacks

lennert wrote on Mon, 28 October 2013 08:56
Howie,

Completely agree my advice to my users is not a solution. I'm just afraid that we will be informed that it is a feature and not a bug.

Lennert

I was told by Kerio support on Saturday that this is being considered a bug. They are not calling it a feature. If they had told me that, I would have downgraded both servers that I have upgraded.
  •  
joapalmer

We successfully turned reminders off in the Calendar application for OSX 10.9, however each user has to turn it off for each delegate, which of course is a terrible solution.

But in IOS we cannot get rid of shared calendars reminders. Anyone has a solution? Yes, we tried setting "Shared Calendar Alerts" to off, doesn't work for us. I also reinstalled the whole KC profile in IOS but no luck either.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2013 15:44]

•  
Howie Isaacks

Here's another thought on this.... I was just told recently in a support ticket response that this is normal. I can understand that point to some extent. The feature for silencing alarms exists in Calendar and iCal, so it must have been Apple's intent for users to be able to receive the alerts. This "feature" simply was not working before Kerio changed the way that shared calendars work, and introduced what they're calling "true delegation" This started after Kerio Connect 8.2, so the logical conclusion is that the new version of Kerio is now fully compliant with Apple's implementation of CalDAV. I don't see it as too much of a problem for end users to turn off the alerts manually, but unfortunately, not all of them will take my advice and follow my instructions. In the end, that's their problem. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can bust your ass trying to be a great service provider, but if the customer won't follow best practices, it's not your fault. My stance on this now is that the users simply need to turn off the alerts. If that's too much trouble, maybe they have too many shared calendars loaded anyway. It's not necessary to have everyone's calendar right there in your face at all times, and those calendars are also available in webmail.
  •  
joapalmer

Howie Isaacks wrote on Thu, 07 November 2013 16:27

I don't see it as too much of a problem for end users to turn off the alerts manually, but unfortunately, not all of them will take my advice and follow my instructions. In the end, that's their problem.

Still there doesn't seem to be a solution for IOS calendars?
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I haven't seen that problem, but then all of the users I support are using Exchange Active Sync. My understanding is that this is a CalDAV issue, so EAS would not be affected.
  •  
henriok

This is certainly a Kerio problem. Even if you tell the users to manually decline hundreds of meaningless invites which takes 10-30 seconds each to dispatch. On top of that, the ones that were delegated was permanently deleted, and not automatically resubscribed too. The new delegation settings that you can make in the web-client is not reflected in Calendar/iCal neither in Lion, Mountain Lion nor Mavericks. And if you change your setting to make a calendar readable to the whole domain, a new invite goes out to all. That's not particularly nice to everyone who get's an invite, and extremely chatty, especially if you are fiddling with settings.
Out users are looking att hundreds of man hours aggregated just dispatching the rampant inviting, and a further loss in productivity not being able to see the calendars of their colleagues in any simple manner.
submission587

I completely agree. At least the reminders should be turned off by default, and activated only if the user chooses so on a calendar by calendar basis. It's not nice to say to a user that they have been using it wrong all along as if it's their fault. Users' see it as something that previously worked but doesn't work anymore.
Previous Topic: The RPC server is unavailable.
Next Topic: Invalid watermark value - Kerio Connect Client error
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 03:46:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00548 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.