Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect DB Size (How big is too big?)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
Our Kerio Connect Database is now approaching the 1TB size. It takes almost 2 days to run the full backup using the KC backup.

I'm just curious, what are some of the larger mail storage sizes that you have and how do you back them up efficiently? Has anyone had to restore a backup over 1TB?

Thanks!
  •  
sramdeen

Interesting topic. I've just updated my one here which may be relevant to you:

edit: Can't post links until I have more than five messages. grrrrr. Topic thread is "Backing up Kerio - what can I exclude?"

I'll monitor this one too see what kind of replies you get. What kind of backend are you running Kerio on? I found the built-in backup unsuitable once the mailstore approached ~100GB.
  •  
catoxpress

We're running Kerio on a Windows 2003 server in VMware. I back up to an external server each night, with a full occurring on Saturday night. Our database has grown at the rate of around 20GB per month the last six to eight months. I'm worried that if I ever needed to perform a restore from the Kerio backup, it would take days.
  •  
BudDurland

@catoxpress: be more concerned that you won't be able to restore at all. When we migrated our mail store (appx 400gb)from one windows server to another, we followed the Kerio guidance. Create the backup, shut down, restore to new server. We tried twice, once with the backup to an external USB, and once to a network share. In both cases, the KMSRestore program would start, then somewhere along the way would throw an error ('file unreadable', 'backup corrupt', 'can not write file'), and would simply stop the process.

We finally ended up using the following steps, which had the benefit of minimized downtime:

1. Use ROBOCOPY to clone the live mail server to the replacement, while the mail server is running.
  2. Shut down mail services
  3. Final ROBOCOPY to catch up changes
  4. Copy over mailserver.cfg and users.cfg. Edit mailserver.cfg as need to accomodate changes in storage paths, etc.
  5. Start new server.

Certainly not the method to use according to the Kerio gospel, but it worked well for us. This is how I do all my kerio backups now -- RoboCopy from the mail store to another space. Yes, I may miss some messages that are locked, or end up with out of sync indexes. Both of these are easier to fix than recovering from a backup that won't restore.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
MacLab

We use a clone that updates incremental changes. I don't see a reason to do a full backup on a regular basis unless the backup media changes.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
sramdeen

MacLab wrote on Wed, 23 October 2013 13:15
We use a clone that updates incremental changes. I don't see a reason to do a full backup on a regular basis unless the backup media changes.

Yep, this is what I do via rsync, CrashPlan etc. However, far more data is backed up than the amount of email that flows in and out of the server. After some investigation it turns out a huge amount of the data is the index files. Some of them are hundreds of megabytes and need to be backed up even if only one email is received. I would like to find out what can safely be excluded from the backup of a kerio setup.

Don't want to hijack this thread so perhaps it would be better if any replies to this question were posted in my original thread.

Regards
  •  
MacLab

Are you doing the entire server or just the mail store?

MacLab, Inc.
  •  
sramdeen

Just the mail store
  •  
MacLab

Not sure why there is a huge amount of data that needs to be backed up. Some of the index files may need to be backed up if they were missed last time. If users trash or move mail, you might get re-indexing.

MacLab, Inc.
  •  
sramdeen

MacLab wrote on Wed, 23 October 2013 18:05
Not sure why there is a huge amount of data that needs to be backed up. Some of the index files may need to be backed up if they were missed last time. If users trash or move mail, you might get re-indexing.

It's not a case of them being missed. If a user receives just one email into a folder (INBOX for example), the following files are modified and so are picked up by the backup software:

.journal.db
indexlog.fld
search.fld
status.fld
stats.usr
vacation.adr

These are backed up in addition to the new email that has been received.

Some of these index files are hundreds of megs and so you can imagine how quickly the size of the backup can grow.
Previous Topic: iCal Event Notification / Shared User Calendars
Next Topic: Issue since upgrading to Kerio Connect 8.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 18:26:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.