Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » CalDAV/CardDAV file extensions in .eml format
  •  
yenigul

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

We developed an outlook connector called SurGATE Outlook DAV Client(outlookdav.com) planned and designed to work for all caldav/carddav servers.

We are making tests with kerio connect. We recognized that file extentions are .eml format.
According to the RFC calendar extention

a quote from rfc2445#section-3.10

"3.10 File Extensions

The file extension of "ics" is to be used to designate a file
containing (an arbitrary set of) calendaring and scheduling
information consistent with this MIME content type."

and vcards extension is .vcf
So far we worked with many caldav servers and this is the first time that a caldav server using .eml format.

I wonder is there any special reason to use .eml extenstion instead of .ics & .vcf.
We are going to support .eml format for kerio but I wanted to note that this is not a usual extension Smile

Best Regards
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I'm not sure what protocol is used by your client. The type of the items is not determined by the file extension but with a folder type in WebDAV properties. iCalendar format and .ics file extension is used in /ical URL, not in *DAV protocols.
  •  
yenigul

Hi Pavel,

We use CalDAV and CardDAV protocols which are extention to WebDAV which described rfc4791.txt and rfc6352

Yes, the type of the items defined in folder type. But all other caldav server providers(zimra,owncloud,fruux,baikal etc) uses .ics extention for iCalendar and .vcf for vcard.

When I check your file, they are real .eml file in mime format.(I thought that it was just extention issue)

Is there any url/interface on kerio that provides icalendar and vcard objects for events and contacts instead of in eml mime format?

I made tests with Thunderbird Sogo addresbook addon, I could not able to sync contacts in eml to Thunderbird.

•  
yenigul

By the way, I am not judging your solution. I am just trying to understand the reason behind storing contacts and events data in EML format.
I tried to open contacts eml and calendar eml in Outlook & Thunderbird but it failed. They tried to open them as an email.

My suggestion is store events in icalendar format and store contacts in vcard format instead of eml
for easier life Wink

More technical details about the issue:

If I request the following query with PROPFIND

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>
<D:propfind xmlns:D='DAV:' xmlns:C='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:carddav' ><D:prop><D:getetag/><D:getlastmodified/><C:address-data/ ></D:prop></D:propfind>

I can see the contacts item in vcard format which is fine!

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:kerio ddd;from;;;
FN:from kerio ddd
ORG:fotosuda var...;
NOTE:yes
UID:654523d3-c6c4-4a7b-973b-cde9048647bd
REV:20131029T210701Z
PHOTO;ENCODING=b:...

But I request an individual eml file with GET method,
I got the following data which is not very good for a contact data. The client must convert from eml mime to vcard.

Content-class: urn:content-classes:person
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:00:17 -0700
Message-ID: <rid:d1ea39ed6bc847449e0062ac6d1d8d4c000000000000003a<_at_>demo.kerio.com >
MIME-Version:1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C3D4FE.16CEA910"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3D4FE.16CEA910
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTMLPUBLIC " -//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY>
</HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3D4FE.16CEA910
Content-class: urn:content-classes:person
Content-Type: text/vcard;
method=REQUEST;
charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding:8bit

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:kerio ddd;from;;;
FN:from kerio ddd
ORG:fotosuda var...;
NOTE:yes
UID:654523d3-c6c4-4a7b-973b-cde9048647bd
REV:20131029T210701Z
PHOTO;VALUE=URI:cid:VCardPhoto-79348562-2290@webmail
X-FILE-AS:kerio ddd, from
END:VC
ARD

Previous Topic: Kerio Connect Mini ?
Next Topic: Best Procedure to Restore
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 11:22:01 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00409 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.