Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 8.2, sharing, delegation and iCal/Calendar
  •  
j.turley

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Is it just me or does anybody else find the new method for sharing and delegating user calendars not only counter intuitive, but also a backwards step in terms of how it works with Apple iCal/Calendar?

In my set-up everybody has read access to everybody else's calendar, and they are able to add any users calendar to iCal/Calendar using the delegation tab in the iCal/Calendar application. They are also able to open each users calendar in a separate window in iCal/Calendar using the Windows menu, which is really neat for browsing a single calendar.

The new behaviour introduced in Kerio Connect 8.2 alters the above and now users have to go to webmail to 'share' a calendar with iCal/Calendar, and as far as I can see there is no way to open these 'shared' calendars in a separate window once this is done. This is a little bit backwards for us and frustrating for our users.

Are there any secret switches in the config files that changes this behaviour back?

Thanks

Jason
  •  
stahancyk

We're encountering major problems with this as well. We have a similar read access for everybody (not on everyone's calendar, but a third of users' calendars can be seen by all) with groups that have edit permission for certain calendars.

What's even more frustrating is that after trying to get everyone to switch to shared calendars in the last few days, it appears that the delegated calendars are sticky - I just can't get rid of delegated calendars. Removing all the sharing via webmail or iCal but the delegates are still listed in the top user's iCal as delegates. And those delegates can't load the top user calendar as a shared calendar.

And BIG WARNING: The delegation now also does something outside the calendar, and probably unwanted: setting up someone as a delegate in iCal SHARES THE INBOX with the delegate. I get the idea - a secretary could manage the inbox and calendar, and would need the email to see invitations. But this is a huge change.

At this point, I'd be happy to use shared calendars, but I need some way to strip out all remains of delegation.
  •  
stahancyk

This just keeps getting better, and more complicated:

I can remove a delegate and get the shared calendar working, but it takes many steps. First, from iCal in the owner's account, I need to switch all delegates to read-only. Then, from owner's webmail, I can see the delegates listed and remove their sharing.

Finally, I remove and re-add the group permission for editing (closing sharing window in between). Nice thing is that the users get the shared calendar automatically, no new invitation.

While we were used to the delegate system, the shared calendars seem to be loading better - users viewing many calendars tended to get connection errors. So far, loading 15-20 calendars doesn't seem to cause any problems.
  •  
theostauffer

I had the same problems today. It is an absolute mess and I am insanely pissed off! I was fortunately able to downgrade to 8.1.3 and it seems to be operating halfway normally again.

I'll come back to this in a few months when Kerio has bought a few Macs and actually tested their product before unleashing it on their customers.
  •  
Tobias S.

In 8.2.1 the "problem" is still there!!!!

All previously subscribed calenders were deleted from iCal and i can't find a way to get them back into ical. On my Mac (OS X 10.8.5) there are no invitations to subscribe these calendars.
How can i explain that to our customers?!

However ... We had to downgrade to KERIO Connect 8.1.3 on all of your servers. I'm really sick of it.

Please bring back the function to subsribe delegated calendars!!!
  •  
j.turley

You can get shared/subscribed/delegated calendars back in iCal, but the process is long-winded and has to be done in Kerio's webmail client.

This is a backwards step as far as I'm concerned and I have held off upgrading to Kerio Connect 8.2 for this reason alone.

Kerio - any chance that you may re-instate the old behaviour in future versions?
  •  
beheer

The sad thing is that Kerio presents this as an improvement, while it makes the Kerio Calendar function unusable for me. If this improvement does not change, I will be forced to look for another mail/calendar server.

Kerio, please make this new feature a choice, so I can make it work like it was again!
  •  
beheer

It seems in Zimbra there is a preference setting for:

"Use iCal delegation model for shared calendars for CalDAV interface"

I guess many people will be happy when Kerio implements this too...

•  
Alin Pastrama

j.turley wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 23:02
You can get shared/subscribed/delegated calendars back in iCal, but the process is long-winded and has to be done in Kerio's webmail client.

Mind sharing how this is done?

I have a few users who declined the flood of invites that came after the upgrade, and now want some of the calendars back.
One workaround that I found goes like this:

Web interface > username > Settings > Folders to sync > check/uncheck calendars from the list

However, for some users, the shared calendars do not even appear in that list. So I see no way of getting them back, other than having other users share their calendars specifically with the "problem" users, which is hardly a reasonable fix.
  •  
j.turley

Trick is to first share/add them in webmail and then you'll see them appear in the Folders to sync list.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 November 2013 17:15]

•  
beheer

Yes, I know. But then I see all 40 or more calendars of all users in the one window in iCal. I can not open them in an separate window and do not see the users in the 'Window' menu in iCal or in the Delegates in the Preferences under my account like it was before. That is how it was, and that is what I want to come back. I found that Kerio competitor Zimbra gives you the choice to use iCal's delegation system for shared calendars or not. I would like this for Kerio too.
  •  
j.turley

Yep, that's how it is in Kerio Connect 8.2 and that is why I have held off upgrading... I would like the option like they have in Zimbra, maybe a preference in the admin app?

Ps. can you downgrade to 8.1.3?
  •  
beheer

Yes, I can downgrade, but what then? Skip all future upgrades with bugfixes and other, real improvements? I can't use 8.1.3 forever, also: that is not what I pay my license fee for, to stay with an outdated version. The real choice is: do I stay with Kerio (when it works the way I want, like it always worked), or do I migrate to something else (which works like I want). For the rest Kerio is an great product, so I am not very keen to look for other software.

I clicked 'Suggest Idea' in the admin console and entered my request. Hope anyone listens.

•  
theostauffer

Yes, you can downgrade to 8.1.3.

Run the 8.2 uninstaller, but do not check any of the options, i.e. do not delete the config files or the mail store.

Then install 8.1.3.

I did this last week as the 8.2 update sowed havoc amongst my users.

I am still seriously unimpressed with Kerio. This update was a mess. No two ways about it. Kerio's clumsy responses have made an uncomfortable situation worse. I have started to look for alternatives.

For anyone from Kerio reading this: The specific problems of this Kerio update, making Mac users have to jump through hoops to get the same functionality they had prior to this update, along with Kerio's replacement of Kerio workspace with Samepage, at the same time that the NSA spying scandals have made internally hosted solutions even more valuable to companies interested in protecting their data, is that Kerio is losing out to competitors that are more willing to engage with and listen to their customers.

If Kerio had thought about integrating Workspace with Kerio Connect, they would have had a stellar product.....
Tobias S.

I would fully agree to such an option in the admin panel:
"Use iCal delegation model for shared calendars for CalDAV interface: Yes/No"

I've voted for the suggestion:
http: // feedback.kerio.com / forums / 29250-kerio-connect / suggestions / 5027422-addition-to-the-delegate-system-prefs
I hope, you all are going to vote this up! Wink

PS: Sorry, i can't post links Sad So you have to remove the "blanks" in the url above.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 10:55]

Previous Topic: CardDAV connection to a single public folder
Next Topic: Custom Logo in Web Client
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 00:39:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00560 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.