Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » i5 or i7 MacMini as a server?!
  •  
Spacey

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

actually I've got an MacMini (Mid 2011) with an SSD running my Kerio Connect with about 80 users - i5 2,5GHz 2 Cores 8GB RAM 10.7.5. It's running well so far!

Now I've got the chance to exchange the machine with an more actual (late 2012) MacMini 2,3 i7 4 Cores 8 GB RAM.

The "only" thing I've got to do is to exchange the SSD. At the moment the i5 is of course not at the edge regarding processor capacities.

My question is now: Is it worth the efford?! Does Kerio Connect make is of the 4 cores?

Opinions? Smile
  •  
j.a.duke

I'm currently running KC 8.0.2 on a 2006 xServe with 2 dual-core Xeons (so basically quad-core). I see traffic on all 4 cores and where the real benefit occurs is in AV scanning (I'm still using ClamXav). Clam can use a huge amount of CPU at times and having extra headroom helps when the server is really busy-one core for AV scanning, one for the mailserver process itself, one for backup and a spare one for whatever needs it. I realize that isn't how things really work, but I'd rather have a bit more CPU than needed rather than have the system running flat out a lot of the time.

If you want to get a better handle on whether you should jump to a quad-core machine, look at your CPU graphs in Activity Monitor to see how busy the system is currently.

If there's no penalty (as in cost) to move to the quad-core, then I'd do it, if I were in your shoes.

Cheers,
Jon

Spacey wrote on Fri, 08 November 2013 10:44
Hi,

actually I've got an MacMini (Mid 2011) with an SSD running my Kerio Connect with about 80 users - i5 2,5GHz 2 Cores 8GB RAM 10.7.5. It's running well so far!

Now I've got the chance to exchange the machine with an more actual (late 2012) MacMini 2,3 i7 4 Cores 8 GB RAM.

The "only" thing I've got to do is to exchange the SSD. At the moment the i5 is of course not at the edge regarding processor capacities.

My question is now: Is it worth the efford?! Does Kerio Connect make is of the 4 cores?

Opinions? Smile

•  
My IT Indy

We have some servers with around 180 users and 4 cores dedicated to them (Proxmox cluster) and CPU utilization is next to nothing.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Spacey

Actually it's not a cost thing - it's just the work - to exchange the two SSDs from both MacMinis. And the downtime Smile

OK, I'll see!
Previous Topic: Kerio Webmail Archiving
Next Topic: Outlook 2011 - problem attaching PDF's
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 22:31:23 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00369 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.