Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6 Migration Best Practices
  •  
orbi

Send a private message to this user
I am using KMS 5.7.9 over three offices, all with IMAP connections, 40 users.

I would like to upgrade to KMS 6 (as smoothly as possible) but before i do i was wondering if anyone had any best practices for migration they might want to share?

Perhalps this could be a thread for people to post their experiences of what to do or not to do. It could save others (like me) production problems.

Much appreciated

Orbi
  •  
mkerr

To be honest, I think the final release was perhaps premature on the part of Kerio. Admittedly it does work ok, however if you read other messages in the forum, a lot of people are unhappy at loss of certain features and speed of the webmail interface. Coupled with that is that there is no user access to the backup mail (now called archive) via IMAP or POP; you now only have access at the file system level (try going through 5000 eml files to find the mail the user lost and see how easy that is).

I know in the latter example these things are being worked on now, so I would wait till a patch version is released before upgrading, and even then staging it on a test system before deploying it into production.
  •  
tek_san

I installed 5.7.10 on a test machine, than applied my complete 5.7.10 realworld kerio environment via restore on that machine.
We have 170 user using imap and it took a while...
After that I started the mailserver, still 5.7.10 to prove anything is working, of course i stooped the smtp engine to avoid resendig mails that were in the outbox.
After seeing, that everything looks fine, I had pretty much the same environment if the "real" mailserver on my testmachine.
I did the upgrade to verison 6, did a reboot and started testing if anything is still available. On a "lab" scale I could even try sending and receiving, I sent some known virusmails to check if antivirus is stil working and also tested entering new clients.
After being shure that the transition worked fine, I chose the right time to upgade our real mailserver.
This worked as expected and to me it felt like I would not have to jump in the cold water....
But as mentioned before, to be on the save side you should wait until the next upgrade, like 6.0.1 or so.
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
winchcable

When I did it I just stopped keriomailserver and did the upgrade. (I am running it on a RedHat Linux box.)

I agree with the post above. I think it is a premature release. Then again, I don't know what you want to use it for. Our main reason for having Kerio was the web portion. The speed of v6.0.0 vs v5.7.10 is significant in my opinion and experience. I am very dissapointed, I don't want to use it but I need to due to the fact that I need to read the email.

My suggestion, keep running v5.7.10 and be thankful. Wait for the next release and watch this board to see if people are happy with it.
  •  
orbi

That helps guys, thanks, its a production environment and cant afford any downtime. I'll wait a while and see what happens. I really want to move our employees onto the web client instead of Outlook and will be keeping a close eye on that (the speed factor doesnt bother me too much its the useability that im more concerened about). I cant find someone who has it up as a public test server (there was one but the passwords are no longer working).

Ill see what the next release has.

If anyone else has any experiences good /bad /best practices please post them here as it would be handy to see an overall vibe on release versions on top of seeing the issues that pop up elsewhere in the Forum.

Cheers

Orbi

[Updated on: Wed, 04 August 2004 16:40]

•  
seali

Actually, archive is available in the IMAP interface and Webmail interface. You just need to set the archive folder to a user or public folder.
  •  
mkerr

Hi Seali,

Have you actually tested this? Kerio support confirmed that it was broken in RC1, and removed the ability to assign a user to the archive folders in the admin GUI for the final release. They stated that they are redesigning it, and will be available in the next release.

Quote from Max

"I haven't seen it work since beta 4. There wasn't any major code change between RC1 and 6 -- I think we removed the "public folders administrator" from the GUI, but that setting actually wasn't doing anything since beta 4.

The problem will be fixed in 6.0.1 -- you will be able to administer archive folders the same way that you currently administer public folders."

Of couse if both I and Kerio are missing something here, I'm always the first to admit when I am wrong.
  •  
jshaw541

I would wait. The new webmail interface is much slower, especially over slower net links. It's also very picky about its browser requirements.

Furthermore, the new webmail is missing a lot of "little things". Things like deleting or selecting all messages in a folder are a pain, to say the least. Setting priority while composing a message isn't there. Message views don't update when a new message arrives, etc.

It definitely shows promise, I've had several people remark positively about it (although with mention of these little missing features). I just don't think it's quite there yet.

Upgrade to 5.7.10 and watch the forums for a more favorable point at which to upgrade :)

Jacob

orbi wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 03:38

I am using KMS 5.7.9 over three offices, all with IMAP connections, 40 users.

I would like to upgrade to KMS 6 (as smoothly as possible) but before i do i was wondering if anyone had any best practices for migration they might want to share?

Perhalps this could be a thread for people to post their experiences of what to do or not to do. It could save others (like me) production problems.

Much appreciated

Orbi

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
jshaw541

winchcable wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 07:20

When I did it I just stopped keriomailserver and did the upgrade. (I am running it on a RedHat Linux box.)

I agree with the post above. I think it is a premature release. Then again, I don't know what you want to use it for. Our main reason for having Kerio was the web portion. The speed of v6.0.0 vs v5.7.10 is significant in my opinion and experience. I am very dissapointed, I don't want to use it but I need to due to the fact that I need to read the email.

My suggestion, keep running v5.7.10 and be thankful. Wait for the next release and watch this board to see if people are happy with it.

Squirrelmail is pretty easy to get up (On *NIX or Windows/IIS) and running and works with KMS 6. The interface is both fast and nicely laid out.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: user statistics
Next Topic: Order by 'From'
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 03:47:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00418 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.