Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » configuring IM (can't figure out how to configure DNS)
  •  
monkeymissile

Send a private message to this user
Apologies for the rookie question, but I want to implement IM via Kerio and I can't quite figure out what to do. I did look at the help topics, but I'm still a bit confused.
I only want IM within our domain so it sounds like I don't need to add a server SRV record or do I?
Also, in the example provided in the help topic I understand that the feelmorelaw would be changed to our domain, but I'm not sure what the connect.feelmorelaw.com would get changed to for the IM server. It says Kerio Connect, but is that what I change it to?

again, sorry for these lame questions.

any help setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!
Justin
  •  
Maerad

Basically you just add the client srv to your dns server.

Let's say you own the domain "AwesomeDomain.com" and Kerio is installed on a Server with a DNS Name of "mail.AwesomeDomain.com".

Then it should look like this:

_xmpp-client._tcp.AwesomeDomain.com. 18000 IN SRV 0 5 5222
mail.awesomedomain.com.

Just take a look at you adminhandbook (Kerio Connect > Download > Manual)

The following items can be changed:
feelmorelaw.com -- domain
connect.feelmorelaw.com -- instant messaging server (Kerio Connect)
18000 -- TTL
0 -- record priority
5 -- record weight
5222 -- port of the service

[Updated on: Tue, 12 November 2013 11:02]

•  
monkeymissile

thank you for your reply. I'll give it a try.
  •  
monkeymissile

I added just the client SRV record with our DNS provider (Network Solutions), see below

_xmpp-client._tcp.ourdomain.com. 18000 IN SRV 0 5 5222 mail.ourdomain.com.

Then, I configured iChat per the instructions but I get an error message saying that iChat can't communicate with the Jabber account "myname<_at_>ourdomain.com", could not connect to host mail.ourdomain.com

any ideas?
Previous Topic: Server sending mass spam
Next Topic: Kerio Webmail Archiving
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 11:41:12 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.