Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Strange intermittent audio issue after recent upgrade
  •  
blswjames

Send a private message to this user
Hello forum,

PBX = Kerio Operator v2.2.0
Phones = Snom 821 with Firmware version 8.7.4.8 (beta)
All devices are getting PoE, are on the same subnet, and no NAT.

We have recently encountered a new behavior in our phone system, where someone will call another extension from within the building, and the caller will hear their own voice in the receiver at 200% volume with about a half second delay. They tell me that it's so obnoxious that they have to use their phone like a walkie-talkie by cupping their hand over the receiver while talking, then lifting it to hear the other person respond. This results in a very asynchronous mode of conversation.

This behavior does not happen on every call, and when it does, it usually clears itself up after about one minute of conversation. So far, it has been reported from several different users, and therefore is not localized to any one area of the building.

Earliest report of this happening is 4 days ago on Monday. Given that both Operator and the phones received updated software around the same time (last Saturday), I am having difficulty determining which is more likely to be the culprit. Therefore, I am posting this in both forums in hopes that someone might have encountered this before and might know what I can do about it.

-james
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

it sounds more like a phone issue. I haven't encountered such behavior personally, but I think there were some people on the forums who have described some sound issues. If you want to rule out Operator, make a packet dump capturing the issue and analyze it with wireshark (or email it to me:).

Filip
  •  
blswjames

I agree, that Operator seems unlikely to be at fault. It occurred to me that it might also be from a poorly executed QoS plan. Despite having a solid gigabit LAN everywhere, sometimes other equipment and/or traffic congestion can cause micro delays in packet routing. We switched from using an "Automatic VoIP" QoS feature to using a more finely tuned DiffServ configuration. I am waiting to see if any users continue to experience the issue or not.

Something else we started to do in the provisioning step is to enforce the G.711u audio codec. We are trying to ensure that only that codec gets used so that there are no audio conversions being performed along the way.
Previous Topic: Operator 2.2 and Connect 8.2 LDAP; talking to each other, but don't agree
Next Topic: Auto-detect internal routes even if full prefix given?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 03:52:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00360 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.