Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Instant Messaging DNS Query (Configuring IM DNS Settings with different Domain Names)
  •  
Formski

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I'm trying to configure Instant Messaging in Kerio Connect that is on Windows Server 2008 R2 but running into issues with the DNS settings:

We have an office domain as corp.companyname.com which has a related forward lookup zone. We are setup in Connect with a domain companyname.com. Under the Directory Service settings we are authenticating against Microsoft Active Directory and have linked up the Active Directory domain with the Kerio mail domain name.

This all works fine for everything else, except in the DNS we only have the corp.companyname.com Forward Lookup Zone. Setting xmpp DNS SRV entries doesn't seem to work as Kerio Connect flags the entries as x when running 'Check Service Accessibility' and Pidgin won't detect the server either.

I'm assuming that I could setup a Forward Lookup Zone for companyname.com, but most of these services are running external to our office and related Active Directory Domain.

Is there any other options for 'translating' the DNS requirement?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

What email domain do you use?
SRV records should be for eg. _xmpp-client._tcp.formathomes.com.au and _xmpp-server._tcp.formathomes.com.au
If your DNS is accessible from the internet you can check it with http://dnsrlookup.onlinetoolkit.org (ask for SRV records). Otherwise you need to use nslookup utility from your local network.
  •  
Formski

We use formathomes.com.au for the email domain, but corp.formathomes.com.au for our internal corporate network (which is what the email users authenticate against) The corp domain is internal only and the DNS is not accessible from the internet, whereas formathomes.com.au is hosted internally.

When I run nslookup on the xmpp-client SRV record I'm getting the xmpp-client.tcp.corp.formathomes.com.au service location. I don't have control of DNS for formathomes.com.au (it's hosted through a third party so I can't (easily) add a xmpp-client.tcp.formathomes.com.au SRV record.
  •  
Maerad

Kerio auths with im against the domain Name you configured under domains. I had the same problem with our external mail domain example.biz and the internal example.local.

The best and easiest way to do it without improvising too much is adding the DNS settings to your outbound DNS server.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2013 11:36]

Previous Topic: Shared calendar on Outlook 2010 - remainder
Next Topic: VMWare appliance bit-ness
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 19 22:50:16 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00386 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.