Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Unable to change username without root access? (Need to change a username but cannot access mailserver folder.)
  •  
tomdavey

Send a private message to this user
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm unable to get into the /usr/local/mailserver folder on OS X. According to what I find on Kerio's KB, you need root access to that folder to make the change. Unfortunately, the computer was originally a Mac OS X 10.8 client computer that was upgraded to 10.8 Server and I cannot access the root account. I believe this is because OS X client creates a root password, unlike the Server version which assigns it based on the first user. As such, I cannot get into the mailserver folder. Has anyone else found away around this? One of my users got married so I need to change her username.

Thanks.
Tom Davey
Gravity Storm, Inc.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Open Terminal app and run "sudo su". Then enter your password. If your user is administrator of the computer you don't need to use root.
  •  
tomdavey

Thanks very much. I tried sudo and su but it didn't occur to me to try them together. Will try it tonight when I can bring the server down.

Tom
  •  
beheer

I always use 'sudo -s', which gives you a root-shell after you type your password.

See 'man sudo' in the Terminal for more details. That's what is so great about MacOS X: all of UNIX is there, including the manpages...

Richard
Previous Topic: Change Return-Path Address
Next Topic: Feature Suggestion: More Settings for Out of Office Replies
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 18:03:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.