Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Instant Messaging DNS issue
  •  
ruta

Send a private message to this user
Since the release of IM in Kerio Connect, we have successfully been using the Pidgin client on Windows PC's. However, we do have some challenges with the config of the client and implemented a workaround. Now,we have installed Kerio Connect 8.2.1 with the hope of using group chat and we cannot get this work at all. Here is our issue:

Our mail server resides in a DMZ network. Our mail domain is: abcdomain.com (not really).
Public DNS is configured for mail.abcdomain.com
Our private network uses a different Active Directory domain: xyzdomain.com.
We run internal AD integrated DNS for xyzdomain.com. Kerio is not currently integrated with our AD.

We do not want to use IM outside of our network. Our firewall rules allow traffic from the private network to the DMZ over a VPN connection.

In order to get Pidgin to work, we need to go to the Advanced tab of the Account Setup and we need to enter the private IP address of the mail server in the Connect Server field. We cannot enter mail.abcdomain.com because it resolves to the external IP of the mail server, and the firewall will not allow IM traffic in on the WAN interface. We cannot create a record in our internal DNS for mail.abcdomain.com because our internal domain is xyzdomain.com.

Not an ideal solution using an IP address but it works (for now).

So now, we want to create group chat rooms and group chat wants to use conference.abcdomain.com to find the resources/chat rooms. Obviously, for our environment, that won't work. If I enter the internal IP in the Server field when creating a chat room or searching for one, I receive: Error retrieving room list 404: recipient unavailable.

I'm at a loss on how to configure this when our mail server resolves to a different domain than our clients and we do not want to allow access from the outside world.

I know this is hard to explain but I hope someone understands and has some suggestions.
THANKS !
  •  
ajamali

have you ever try to add new (A) record in your local DNS server as follow

Add New (A) record
Name: IM.xyzdomain.com
and point to private IP address of your mail server

•  
ruta

OK, so let's just say I am a total boob.
As long as the Pidgin client is working for one to one chat, you don't need to point the group chat to anything, just name the room and accept defaults.

Sometimes we IT people just make things too complicated.
Previous Topic: Outlook 2010 Sharing calendar without KOC
Next Topic: Active Directory users cannot login !
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 01:55:17 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.