Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Mail app updating cache directory (Apple Mail app goes into an "updating cache directory" cycle and must be quit and relaunched.)
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Send a private message to this user
For about a year, I have noticed that Mail on two different Mac systems frequently hangs for long periods of time while appearing to be updating its cached copy of emails stored on the server. See my attached screen shot. You will see that both of my Kerio hosted accounts are going through this process. The account labeled as 'Howie' is my personal email account hosted by a Kerio email hosting provider, and the one labeled as 'Kinetic' is my work email account. Both are hosted on Kerio Connect 8.2.1, but this issue has been happening since well before the release of Kerio Connect 8.2, and OS X Mavericks. I believe the issue started sometime after the release of OS X Mountain Lion. Apple's support community forum has several complaints of this issue. What I have managed to figure out is that this does not seem to happen with every IMAP server, and it may only happen to users who have several email folders in addition to the default mail folders (Inbox, Sent, Junk, Trash, etc.) On my personal account, I have several subfolders created, and I have several on my work account as well. I never create subfolders in the Inbox since I know that can cause problems when Mail checks for new messages since it must cycle through all of the subfolders as well. My theory right now is that there must be some characteristic of the IMAP server in Kerio Connect that causes Mail to start this endless cache synchronization cycle. It could be an Apple bug, or it could be a Kerio bug. I have gone into the debug log on my work email server while this endless caching process is happening, and I don't see anything that would indicate that there is a problem. None of the other Kerio Connect logs show anything out of the ordinary either. The only way to stop this is to quit Mail, and relaunch it. That seems to clear up the problem for a few days. I usually don't quit Mail, or shut my Macs down, so Mail does not get quit very often. I notice the issue only when I realize that I have not received any email for a long time. My iPhone and iPad still receive incoming email while Mail on my Macs is going through this endless process. The issue has become worse after Mavericks was installed on my systems. Neither of my email accounts are over 3-4GB in size. I always keep both systems up to date with the latest Apple software updates. After Mavericks was released, I completely erased and reinstalled OS X Mavericks on my MacBook Pro, and I did not restore my email from backup. I setup both accounts manually, and allowed the email data to download directly from the servers. Therefore, there was no cached data that was reimported from backup.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I would prefer to continue using Apple's mail app, but this issue is starting to affect my productivity, and I have seen this happening with some of my customers as well.

•  
alainrussell

+1 We see this a lot on our Mavericks + Kerio 8.2.1 combination. It used to happen a lot less but for some reason happens a lot more often now. Network connection does not seem to make any difference, I get the issue on ADSL home connection as well as 100Mb office fibre. We host our own Kerio Connect machine dedicated for about 18 users.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This has definitely been a bigger problem with Mavericks. I think that Mail checks with the IMAP server frequently to keep its cache up to date. It must be running into something that causes it to spawn this process over and over again. On a few occasions, I saw that Mail was "fetching headers", and that it had something like 14,880,982,087,098,258,400 to go...basically some ridiculously high number that would take so long to complete, I would probably be long dead before it finished. If this is an Apple bug, then I will pursue it with them. I have never seen this kind of behavior before with email accounts that are not hosted by Kerio Connect. This is not deal breaker. It's just annoying.
  •  
Howie Isaacks

Here's a tidbit from Console on one of my Macs. Right now, Mail is going through the same endless synchronizing cycle. In this example, Console is referencing a shared mailbox folder from another user. I removed their email address from the log entry. I'm not sure exactly how to interpret this.

11/29/13 2:36:03.096 PM Mail[7134]: *** Assertion failure in -[MFIMAPAccount mailboxForRelativePath:isFilesystemPath:create:], /SourceCache/Mail/Mail-1827/FrameworkTargets/MailFramework/A ccounts/MFMailAccount.m:4302
Absolute path passed into -[MFIMAPAccount mailboxForRelativePath:isFilesystemPath:create:]: ~xxxx<_at_>xxxx.com/Life Insurance Payments
(
0 MailCore 0x00007fff8ab00c8c -[MCAssertionHandler _handleFailureWithPreamble:description:arguments:] + 141
1 MailCore 0x00007fff8ab00afd -[MCAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:file:lineNumber:description:] + 215
2 Mail 0x00007fff8d4549ba -[MFMailAccount mailboxForRelativePath:isFilesystemPath:create:] + 197
3 Mail 0x00007fff8d3d6ed7 -[MFIMAPAccount mailboxForRelativePath:isFilesystemPath:create:] + 360
4 Mail 0x00007fff8d455c4f +[MFMailAccount mailboxForURL:forceCreation:syncableURL:] + 435
5 Mail 0x00007fff8d4676d3 __43+[MFMailbox queueUpdateCountsForMailboxes:]_block_invoke822 + 48
6 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff845c9a1f __65-[__NSDictionaryM enumerateKeysAndObjectsWithOptions:usingBlock:]_block_invoke + 111
7 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff845c992e -[__NSDictionaryM enumerateKeysAndObjectsWithOptions:usingBlock:] + 222
8 Mail 0x00007fff8d4675c0 __43+[MFMailbox queueUpdateCountsForMailboxes:]_block_invoke + 270
9 Foundation 0x00007fff8c0f8055 -[NSBlockOperation main] + 75
10 Foundation 0x00007fff8c0d7591 -[__NSOperationInternal _start:] + 631
11 Foundation 0x00007fff8c0d723b __NSOQSchedule_f + 64
12 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff866bd2ad _dispatch_client_callout + 8
13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff866c17ff _dispatch_async_redirect_invoke + 154
14 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff866bd2ad _dispatch_client_callout + 8
15 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff866bf09e _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 326
16 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff866c0193 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 40
17 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8cba8ef8 _pthread_wqthread + 314
18 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8cbabfb9 start_wqthread + 13
)
  •  
bchatain

+1
i have one account in 8.2.1 server and one account in 8.1.3 server. Exactly the same thing.
Work = 10.8.5
Home = 10.9

My boss have + 95000 mails in 10.6.8 system and no problem (8.1.3 server)

Kerio 8.4 with windows 2008 server R2 /
80 mac clients / 10.6.x - 10.10.X
Apple Mail with exchange/imap account
Kerio 8.4.0 with OX 10.6.8 server
20 mac clients / 10.6.x - 10.10.X
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I don't remember ever seeing this problem while running Lion or Snow Leopard. I have read in other forums that this has also happened on Macs that are connected to Exchange.
  •  
mac_sascha

Same problem here! We have 25 accounts, and big Mailboxes (about 10-25 GB/user), but not in the Inbox.
Every 3 hours we must kill this process (updating cache) or close and reopen the Apple Mail-App to receive Mails again.

@KERIO: please give us a solution!
  •  
Macman2013

This will be caused by a very large email in the users mailbox

Had the same issue until I checked the possibility each time I see it there is a very large email in the users inbox

Remove that and the problem goes away Wink
  •  
Spacey

Same problems here as well - 10.7.x mail.app client, latest Kerio Connect version running on OSX 10.7.5. Turning off the auto prune function for that kerio account does not help (like suggested in other threads).

And I've got no "large" eMails in my inbox - the largest is about 6MB. Is that large?! Smile
  •  
Macman2013

Have you checked for the large email in Webmail/Direct on the server

The problem I see is where the mail is sat in the account visible in webmail or by checking the user folder directly. Then find that same mail is not delivered to the client.

If you have and there is none then in this case it isn't applicable but seen many times where this is a problem Smile

No 6MB is small

[Updated on: Mon, 02 December 2013 12:15]

•  
Spacey

Webmail: The same result then my local mail.app

Filesystem -> "ls -hlaS" show's me the same result - the largest eMail is 6.1M

Sad
  •  
Howie Isaacks

I don't think this has anything to do with large messages, or with large mailboxes. Neither of my accounts that are affected by this problem have large attachments, and neither of them have large mailboxes. The only characteristic that they share is that both have a lot of folders that I have created in addition to the normal IMAP folders (Inbox, Sent, Junk, etc.) For me, this started after Mountain Lion, but Apple's support communities have accounts of this happening prior to Mountain Lion. As I stated before, my working theory on this is that there is come characteristic about some IMAP servers that Mail on the Mac does not like. This may well just be an Apple bug, but it would be great if Kerio would read all of this, and respond with something helpful. Until someone actually investigates this, we won't find a solution.
  •  
adrianfm

Hello there

We have the exact same problem and are still looking for the cause and solution.
The problem started in OS 10.8 but got worse with 10.9.
I have 2 Kerio servers. One with version 8.2.0. And another with 8.2.1. It happens on both.

Personally i only have about 20 folders so it's not a lot. However 'sent items' contains 45k emails. I originally thought that it could be this folder - but reading this forum i am doubting

If anyone finds a solution then please write it here Smile

Thanks!
Adrian
  •  
Howie Isaacks

adrianfm wrote on Tue, 03 December 2013 05:52
Hello there

We have the exact same problem and are still looking for the cause and solution.
The problem started in OS 10.8 but got worse with 10.9.
I have 2 Kerio servers. One with version 8.2.0. And another with 8.2.1. It happens on both.

Personally i only have about 20 folders so it's not a lot. However 'sent items' contains 45k emails. I originally thought that it could be this folder - but reading this forum i am doubting

If anyone finds a solution then please write it here Smile

Thanks!
Adrian

45K messages in a single folder is not good. You should keep that number to no more than about 7K. One thing I am trying is to disable the IDLE command in my Mail account settings. This was suggested to me by a support tech for my personal Kerio hosted email. You just need to make sure that Mail is set to check messages at a designated time interval so that you continue to get new email notifications.
adrianfm

Hi there
I agee it's a lot of mails that should be taken care of. However it happens to collegues with lot less mails. So i don't think it's the cause of the above problem.

I will try to disable idle also and get back to you if it changes anything.

Adrian

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2013 15:18]

Previous Topic: free busy calendar is not working through outlook
Next Topic: E-Mail Encryption using public/private keys
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 00:01:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00576 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.