Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » dns resolution for dhcp clients
  •  
chrwei

Send a private message to this user
I've sort of got it working, but it's not right, and not how the docs suggest. I have 2 networks connected via vpn tunnel. primary is domain.lan and the one i'm configuring is a remote office, a.domain.lan. based on how I read the docs, I have added 2 custom forwards, top of the list is a.domain.lan set to no forward, and 2nd is domain.lan set to forward to the main office's local dns server.

at the remote office I have dns working fully for entries in the hosts table, and forwards to the main office. I have entered a local domain in the box at the bottom, "dig host.a.domain.lan" and "dig host" both work for local static IPs

also at teh remote office, I have the DHCP lease table box checked, and in the dhcp lease list I can see the clients hostnames. "dig client" does give the right IP, but "dig client.a.domain.lan" says no servers could be reached. the Control debug log says "Custom forwarder: all resources in pool are unavailable."

what i don't get is why hosts table entries work and dhcp table entries do not.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2013 18:02]

•  
chrwei

Send a private message to this user
I also ended up with some issues since Control's DNS only responds to UDP, not TCP. My work around is to have Control's DHCP hand out the remote AD DNS IP with the local DNS as a secondary. dns client side caching will make it not abusing on the VPN connection

I'm guessing long term I'll be setting up a different dns/dhcp server and only using Control for routing/filtering/vpn. it's unfortunate that Kerio's dhcp/dns isn't playing nice with AD's dns.
Previous Topic: Is a Bridge possible?
Next Topic: HP Microserver Gen8 ok for Kerio Control 8.2.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Aug 22 18:51:30 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00397 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.