Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Exchange vs Exchange IMAP (What is the difference between Exchange and Exchange IMAP)
  •  
jimpan

Send a private message to this user
I am running Apple mail 6.6 on 10.8 Mountain Lion. I have a question with regards to knowing the difference between Exchange and Exchange IMAP.

I would prefer to set up just one Exchange account which sets up the calendar / contacts. However, when I do setup just an Exchange account I get a very strange behaviour.

What happens is that all is going fine and when I am in my inbox and say delete a message, all the messages in the inbox just vanish. Sometimes the messages start to come back but takes a very long time to re-sync again. On another occasion, the messages just would not come back.

When I set up an exchange account on a colleagues' laptop, they could see some messages as far as the header but not the actual contents within the email.

So I wanted to know if it is recommended to use Exchange or Exchange IMAP.

When I use Exchange IMAP it works fine.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
  •  
GetSync'd

'Exchange' in Mac OS X actually uses a version of EWS (Exchange Web Services), but the implementation is not always compatible with Kerio Connect. You'll want to setup using 'IMAP' or 'Exchange IMAP' for your mail. And use CalDAV and CardDAV for your Calendars and Contacts, respectively.

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
jimpan

Thanks for the reply. Pity it is not compatible as it is in iOS devices.

So is this more an issue with Mac or Kerio? Do you think there will be any plan to make it work with pure Exchange on Mac?

Thanks. Jim.

Regards,
Jim
  •  
GetSync'd

Jim,

As I understand it, Apple's implementation is not compatible. EWS is also used when setting up accounts in Entourage or Outlook for Mac, and those work properly. But EWS was designed by Microsoft, so I would expect it work correctly with their products.

We have seen it work better with Mavericks, but there has still been issues.

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
Howie Isaacks

There really is no advantage in having it setup as EWS anyway. I tested using EWS in Mavericks for a whole day, and I went right back to IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV when I saw that there was no improvement. Kerio has told me that the EWS implementation in Kerio Connect was developed for use with Outlook and their Kerio Outlook Connector for Windows. FYI... If you upgrade to Mavericks, the Exchange IMAP account setting will stay, but you will not be able to use this option when configuring Mail in Mavericks. Apple removed that option. This has not caused any problems for any of the users that I support.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 December 2013 17:01]

•  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

As already stated here, the only officially supported EWS client is Outlook for Mac, recommended protocol for Apple clients is currently IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. But EWS support for these clients is under consideration for some upcoming release.

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
Previous Topic: Accessing Kerio Connect archive (importing eml files)
Next Topic: Two mailboxes in two domains, that can be opened in Microsoft Outlook?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:06:25 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00486 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.