Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Workspace Options
  •  
cpanderson

Send a private message to this user
Interested to see what the community decided to do. I have yet to see the export tool they promised but here's the options...

1) migrate to samepage

2) continue with workspace as long as possible

3) start from scratch with another alternative

4) migrate to another alternative

If option 1 was storing data at-rest encrypted I might consider it. Otherwise it's 2 or 4. I've got too much data to start from scratch with option 3. If the export tool shows up perhaps another company could take up the slack? I'm looking at Atlassian's Confluence.

What have you decided to do? If you decided on 3 or 4 what alternative did you decide on?

Good luck everyone! Whatever you decide on I hope it goes smoothly. We should report back to the Workspace forums for any info that may help others transitioning.
  •  
Machete

I've selected to Option 4 - storing 500+GB on any hosted Cloud service isn't ever going to work for me at any SMB affordable bandwidth.

The alternative I've selected is FileCloud - www.getfilecloud.com It's a pretty robust package. Here's a quick summary of + - =. Not complete in anyone group, just a quick summary.

A few advantages over Workspace:
- Supports both WebDAV and their own native app as options to mount your storage as a Mapped Drive in Windows Explorer (either or both options at no extra cost)
- The File Sharing and Storage options surpass anything Workspace (or even Samepage) offers.
- You can hook in existing Network Shares
- Supports ClamAV (no extra fee)
- iOS App

A few disadvantages from Workspace:
- currently don't offer comments (in their roadmap according to developers).
- No "text component" (as in Workspace) or Web Document (as in Box.com)
- No News Feed - although it does offer daily email notifications
- No "Edit Document" from web interface - you have to download/save and open/edit, save, upload.
*Note: In our company we mainly only use Web UI for Sharing files with outside clients since we access our files from applications through a mapped network drive.

Similarities:
- Is hosted on your hardware - Linux or Windows environment
- Offers Desktop Sync Client (free of course)
- Offers iOS App (free of course)
- Annual subscription fee (a little higher than workspace - but I feel their support and release cycle have been more consistent and worth the extra money)
- Web based administration and updates
- Full Audit Log separate from Application/Debug log (this might be better than what Workspace offered)
- AD/LDAP Auth
- User permissions/groups, etc.
- Great support documentation

In the end I think it's worth checking out - they offer a free 14 day full-feature trial, install it on your hardware and test drive it.

If you are more file based and looking for something more than a Standard Network Share to store your company files. This is definitely a strong option - and I reviewed/test 6 or 7 options when I was looking for a Workspace replacement.

If you are less file based and are using the different Workspace components more than files, then this might not be the best alternative option for you. On an interesting side note, they actually use Confluence for their support documentation website.

*If you decide to move forward on a purchase, let me know before hand.
  •  
fishtech

Quote:
I have yet to see the export tool they promised

There is an exporting tool under Configuration > Data export in version 2.1.3.

Cheers,

ft.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 December 2013 20:42]

•  
cpanderson

Thanks! I'll check that out. My Workspace led me to believe 2.1.2 was the latest version. So I installed that. Oh well.
  •  
cpanderson

Is there any documentation on the Data Export tool? What it spits out looks straight forward but you'd have to do a lot of prep work to make use of the exported data.

Was the export tool xml data structure modeled after another wiki import/export tool? That would be nice to know so we could easily move our workspace to another wiki style application.
  •  
cpanderson

•  
Machete

The following was posted in the beta-testers forum. Since it contains nothing uber-secret and Workspace is EOL'd and no one from Kerio has helped, I'm reposting here.

Quote:
There are currently two ways of getting data out of Workspace:

1. Using the Data Export tool. The current version of Workspace supports exporting its data to an XML file - as suggested here: http://community.samepage.io/threads/backups.35/#post-219. This can be done over each page or space within Workspace.

2. Using the Workspace - Samepage migration dump file. The file created during the migration export is essentially a zipped and password-protected dump of the Workspace database, accompanied by files and configuration settings. Workspace uses the Derby database and technically, it is possible to connect to it using a suitable tool. During our part of the Workspace-Samepage migration, our CloudOps team also convert the Derby database structure to MySQL as this is used in Samepage.

Beyond this, the data is pretty much out of our control as the number of ways it can be used and the number of solutions people would want to use is infinite. But we can help you understand the structure of the resulting files to help you use the data the way you want.

Regards
Josef
[Updated on: Fri, 04 October 2013 05:44]
Previous Topic: Error: Cannot Install Kerio Workspace
Next Topic: Email notification to project members
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 03:45:21 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00489 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.